Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
In the morning
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, all the time. I admire powerful women whose clothing looks deliberate and practical but well fashioned. I spend too much time criticizing women based on their style choices.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like when women have highly tailored clothing that looks like they were made just for them.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Just after my daughter was born I became hyper aware of the way I dressed. Not only was I worried about how I looked now that my body had changed, I found myself paying particular attention to what my clothing choices said about me. I stopped wearing clothing with holes in them and I put away my short cut-offs, though I keep them as an emblem of when I felt I could wear whatever I wanted.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Sometimes I buy cheap clothing I know will fall apart for the sake of having more variety in my closet.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Isn't this asking the same thing as the previous question.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Nope, I'd like to think I try to do my best and have the best, but I'm too scattered to apply that at all times.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have a lot of loose fitting t-shirts. They hid my stomach which isn't as tight as it was before I was pregnant. They're also easy to breast feed in.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I had a pair of earrings customized for my mother so that the coating on the silver wouldn't give her an allergic reaction. I think they suit her nicely.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
There are many. I don't like platform sneakers, or floral pants. I hate pants that say things on the bum.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I think both of our styles are practical. I spend more money on clothing than she does and she wears more colour than I do.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Of course. All the time. It's ridiculous to imagine a completely original style.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I was a teenager I wanted to fit in but still feel unique so every six months or so I would change my fashion to reflect that of another group. There was a rave phase, a goth phase, a hippie phase. It was silly.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Maybe, in the sense that I like my clothing to look professional and not hyper-sexualized, which I think has something to do with the way I approach gender politics. This has definitely become more deliberate as I get older.
16. Please describe your body.
I am of average height, pretty slim, though I carry some weight in my hips and thighs which I like. I have really big feet and hands, and my skin is fair which leads to a constant sunburn in the summer.
17. Please describe your mind.
I'm smart and observant and I tend to be intensely critical.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I'm a crier and unashamed of it. I cry at silly things all the time. It's very refreshing.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm wearing black shorts, a loose fitting flesh tone t-shirt, my round thick framed glasses and my hair is piled in a bun on top of my head. It's hot this evening.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I'm wearing my comfortable clothes right now. They're practical but of little significance o me. It's also the end of the evening so I haven't put much thought into the way I look. My glasses are important because I can't see without them.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My boyfriend. I tend to ask him if I look ridiculous before I leave the house. He's good at pointing out unnoticed baby spit up. Other than that no one.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
When I'm thinking about my image it tends to be in the context of work. Is this appropriate for work? How will clients see me?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have good taste, it's not extravagant but it suits me. Taste is an interesting concept because it implies a sense of the absolute but I think the absolute can be varied. There can be several different versions of good tastes. At the same time I do think there is a difference between good taste and bad taste in that some things are absolutely good and some things are absolutely bad.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought a crinoline when I was drunk on a Monday afternoon during my undergrad. I never wear it but I can't get rid of it. I like the way it looks in my closet and the memory of buying it, however foolish, is a good one.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I like the way I address people. It's polite yet direct.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I had to go to court after an ex-boyfriend pushed me. The thought of seeing him terrified me. I remember putting on a pencil skirt, blouse and leather bomber jacket that made me look put together, like I was doing fine. It made me feel powerful.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes, I do know what I like. That's what I always say when I talk about wine and books. There's way to much out there to call myself an expert but I can certainly speak with knowledge about the things that I like.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother showed me how to do laundry and sew buttons. She also taught me to knit. Beyond that she left clothing choices up to me.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I straighten my hair and wear pumps.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I think it means those people have a style that is beautiful but looks as though little thought went into it.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Well fitted skinny jeans and a loose blouse or t-shirt.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I wore a very small amount of perfume before I had a baby. I've since stopped because I was worried she wouldn't recognize my smell. One day I'll start wearing it again.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
That crinoline I mentioned earlier. It makes me feel like a pastry.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
They're neat on top and messy on the bottom. I don't even know what's down there.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
I have a coin with St. George on it that hangs on a necklace. It was my grandmothers. My mom has one too which will go to my daughter when she's old enough.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I think I would like my style more if I had more money.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
August 8th 1987. I was born in Montreal and I still live here.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'm half Portuguese and half WASP.
What kind of work do you do?
I'm a writer, but I'm not making any money from that. I work in a restaurant which I love because the food is really great and my coworkers are terrific.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I am in a long term partnership. We have a four-month old daughter.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I feel like my style has evened out.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
A little silly.