Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm with my boyfriend, if I've been hit on, when I have just had a very successful and productive day, and when I'm dancing
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. I admire all sorts of women. I sometimes catch myself assuming they are happier and more comfortable in their own skins then I am.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I stopped being jealous of the clothes my sister had the confidence to buy and wear, and I started to let myself buy and wear nice things too :)
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Make sure it's returnable before you buy.
Don't shop when you're hungry.
Shop when you feel good about your life and when you want to take care of yourself by treating yourself. Everything you buy then you will feel fabulous in. Don't shop when you are bored or lonely, or don't have money.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Wear comfortable shoes.
Buy things that could take you from afternoon with friends, to evening at a bar, to next morning ;)
If it's current, and you look good in it, you can wear it anywhere.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
With a close girlfriend of mine, we discussed that style doesn't define us totally, and that buying fashion forward clothing doesn't make us average or take away from our uniqueness. That's when we decided to stop resisting fashion and enjoy it.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Dresses that cover me on top, but are short
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
low rise jeans about 10 years ago when I was in high school - my booty doesn't fit, and I wasn't feeling that thong-showing look
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mom likes to buy a complete outfit for a full "look".
My mom has a lot of confidence in her style. I wish I had more of that.
She has a much more petite body than me with a smaller waist. I have a more boyish figure with long legs.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My mom gave me a bunch of old body suits from the 80's. They look great with a skirt but they're too synthetic for me to be comfortable wearing them very often.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I cut my hair very short this summer - pixie short. I feel more mature and confident though my style is still the same.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I have come to terms with the fact that dressing well, in current and relatively expensive clothing makes me feel confident and comfortable in my own skin.
I used to resist this as someone who is socially conscious and works in social services. I don't have the confidence and conviction to dress against the norm and still feel attractive and confident. It's sad in some ways.
16. Please describe your body.
tall, slim, athletic
17. Please describe your mind.
indecisive, seeking approval, lonely
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a purple cotton summer dress/romper. a loose fitting sports bra. No makeup. Hair is naturally left curly. At home on my couch.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A $500 prom dress. I felt self-conscious in it the entire night.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Food. I have much more confidence in the kitchen then in dressing.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
It means things are going well for you in your life and that you're the type of person who can keep grounded and cope gracefully when things do get bumpy
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I can't believe how self-conscious I felt that day, I actually looked great
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I tend to try and please men, and seem approachable and nice. I think I'd like to change that.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
fun dresses, fall boots, jeans, great jackets that make an outfit
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
28 years old, born and lives in Toronto