Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
During and after a shower, clean and fresh
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Put together, accesorized, clothes fit well, confident
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Grooming, I realized I needed help, when my then boyfriend looked somewhat embarrassed about my lack of style. I get help and don't purchase for occasions but know now, I think what is good and bad for me
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I purchase on the net cause of health matters, but wouldn't suggest it to others, it's a step in faith
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Buy as expensive as you can afford
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Haven't had it yet
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Keep it all simple and then personalize with a little flourish
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans that do not fit
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I have passed jewellery from my mom and sister to my niece. Broaches, beautiful. And a hat from the fifties to a friends daughter in France, for dressup
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I'm too old for tummy shows
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I think our mature shapes are alike, colouring for sure. My mom had a more lean to drama in her style
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Not family but Annette Bening Glasses and hair cut
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Weight loss and weight gain
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
A vision of a strong independent individual
16. Please describe your body.
No butt, skinny legs, too big a tummy but pretty face.
17. Please describe your mind.
Trying to keep it together, do it all since becoming a widow
18. Please describe your emotions.
At times very raw, always on my sleeve for anyone to find out about
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
In my pyjamas, hair done and no make up
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Some family stuff is important, rugs, jewellry, photographs, the other not so much, it,s a responsibility
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Not at all I don't think I
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I can't afford the style I really want but I think my taste sez I'm a good looking comfortable well dresses mature woman
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A sweater set for $200.00, many items around the time of my brothers death, didn't fit or were just wrong
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
My home decor, comy, warm hopefully inviting
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
My taste is similar to my younger sisters and opposite my older sister. Classic, tailored , or funky and unique
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My father paid big bucks for his clothing, he taught me to keep shoes well heeled, and shining ALWAYS
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Red finger nail polish
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Tailored well cut, clean, well groomed, classic
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Everything in my closet would go with everything else and everything would fit perfectly.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
A healthy smile, groomed nails, hair, not too much make up
34. What do you consider very ugly?
I'll fitting, hand me downs , dirty hair, bad hair cut,
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Still working on it but better than I was
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Well put together, a for effort
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Looking my very best for the situation, and comfort
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
A look of stealthiness
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
More make up and bling
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Blue jeans, white shirt, knit scarf, flat boots
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Blue jens me, fancy dresses not me
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am WASP . I don't know how it has influenced me, I have pieces from travels..
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
When working downtown I was in heels, skirts, more sexy than now.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Always get my hair done at best salon I can afford, get my nails done regularly
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
More of a conformist with a little rebel sometimes in accessories
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Properly fitting jeans, large white shirt, flay boots. Comfort, clean, balanced
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I love now
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Yes very photogenic
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I'm quite pretty
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Not really, but Katherine Hepburn would be a good model to steal from
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Don't think so
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Fussy, dressy.... Just not me
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
What I wear now, just would fit a bit better.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Admiration of women, my age
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress the best you can afford and if you're not comfy it comes across
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Very sparingly sometimes
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Make sure everything is clean and pressed.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
A little goes a long way
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Too fashionista, b o. R. R. I. N. G.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
My jewelry is mostly bracelets, I love them ,each has a story
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My silver bracelet from Morocco
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have a Chinese style jacket, in burgundy satin, it'll be perfect some day for a special outing.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I had a pair of wide wale black cords with a side zip that were stolen from the laundry. I loved them, fit great
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My Ralph Lauren orange knit top
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Think carefully be more choosy.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I had grey flannel pants, gorgeous and expensive, nope they're gone
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Everything is a paradigm shift.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Perfect jeans and boot
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Neat and orgaized but not too.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Anything my late husband goy me, he had great taste
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A navy skirt, mid calf length, rayon , brilliant cut, it just didn't quit being practical. Wore it out
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
When I need something
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
80. How does money fit into all this?
If I can't afford it it doesn't come home with me
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
"You're tiny aren't you" I thought of myself as big
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
In kindergarten when my skirt fell off and everyone laughed
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Born Hamilton OntarioCanada
Small industrial city now in Toronto, big big city
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
My family was reasonably well off but I never had the need for stuff in high school.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Widow, no kids
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I have Parkinsons so most of my outside life is doctors appts. People think I'm well off, not true, just spend a bit on the important things
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
More in tune with my closet
Widow, lost siblings to cancers, no kids, have Parkinsons. Life gets real, real fast