Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
wearing a loose, flowing top and straight-leg pants.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
yes. notice what fat women wear. admire slim women.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
most women seem comfortable with how they look
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
recently wore blazer, white shirt, broach at neck, shiny shoes. attended Warriors' Day parade lunch at CNE.
I was acknowledged as military volunteer
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
look for well-made, inexpensive clothes that look good on me
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I must feel comfortable
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
criticized on having my hair touch my collar by RCAF reviewing officer in 1961
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
unified? tend to procrastinate
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
t-shirts see variations (i.e. colour, "message", size)
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
probably - my "likes" have remained pretty constant over the years
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
my mother passed in 1997. - in later years, we both were/are about 30 - 40 lbs overweight. we both tend/ed
to be somewhat "modest" and conservative in our dress
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
don't think so
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
more flamboyant in the disco era - late 70s
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
overweight - in process of losing weight
17. Please describe your mind.
good memory, curious,
18. Please describe your emotions.
sometimes sad, but usually fine
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
green pants and blouse - moisturizer on face - short, straight hair
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
- what stuff?
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
what institutions? don't really understand the question
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
taste = appropriate to a particular occasion (more imp.)
style = more in keeping with trends (interesting, but not really that imp. to me)
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
scarves distract attention away from the shape of my body
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
yes - my furnishings and decorations in my apartment
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
yes. I know what I like - complicated question
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
father died when I was young. - mother too busy raising family to impart any ideas about fashion
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
don't wear make-up - being alluring not important
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable, confident - not worried what others are thinking
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
- is the result of forming likes and dislikes based on personal experience and/or what I have read about
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
things that are "historical" or from the world of "nature"
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
yes, a good judge
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
whether or not I'll be leaving the house and where/when Ill be going
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing is every-day activities: dressing up is wearing something for a special occasion
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me = low to medium height heels on shoes
not me = high heels
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Eastern/ northern European - tend to be conservative
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
1961 - 1964 was in the RCAF
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
usually nothing special, now that I'm retired
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
military uniform - represents service to Country
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I am more or less satisfied where/when I am right now
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
usually not attractive
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
admire - yes
drawn from - no
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
the same things I wear now
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
not at all
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
long, flowing, long-sleeve top
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
long coat. not practical for every day use, but I still like it
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
my military uniform - I gave up, but am very connected emotionally, etc. to the military
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
Wow! My purse, from my RCAF days
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy fewer t-shirts
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
dark striped pant suit - recently wore it
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
blankets, etc. just before I was married
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
"knit" top - were several times in the summer
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
rarely. usually before a trip or special occasion
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
don't think about it
80. How does money fit into all this?
money is a primary consideration
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
grade 8 concert - changed my dress on my own without any input, etc. from my mother
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Sept. 5, 1943 Born in Toronto - returned in 1989
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
poverty as a child - went to university as a mature student
What kind of work do you do?
retired from secondary teaching
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
divorced. two grown sons
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
love/interested in anything "historical" many/varied life experiences
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
a bit anxious