Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I put on makeup.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, I love the cool or sophisticated person that shows class and style. She looks very put together and thought out. Not totally trendy. She wears clothes that suits her personality. You can tell that person immediately. Just because you have money to spend doesn't mean you know how to dress. You can tell she has her own mind and knows who she is.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
See above. I love a women who doesn't scream a designer....Not that I don't like designer clothes I do. I love the European designers.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
No my mother was into fashion, in a relaxed sort of way so fashion has always been a way of life for me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
HA HA no...I am a bit of a shopaholic so I never talk about how much I spend...and can sometimes lie about where I purchased an item...I don't like to be labeled by people.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I know what looks good on me and my daughter's (3). My daughter's LOVE to shop with me because they know they will always get the best stuff out there. They trust my judgment and think I am stylish in a good way. In fact they like to go into my closet.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I have 2 good friends that look at fashion the way I do. We talk fashion all the time. We shop at Barneys mostly.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes, be kind to all and don't judge. Don't talk up your good fortune in other's faces. DO NOT SPEND WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE! If you can't pay your bills comfortably don't buy it.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
black sweaters...because I love them
white tee shirts because I wear them alone or under many of my things.
jeans...can never have too many
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
anything too short...won't look good on me....for sure there are many fashion trends I didn't like....but I can't remember what they are as I just moved on.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother has great style and from the beginning she passed it on to me. She was tall and thin and I am short and thin. Clothes look good on us. We always shopped in top department stores or small independent stores...I don't know how to shop cheap. Quality is important to me.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes...I can't think of what but if I think someone has nailed a look I will try to copy it to fit me.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
No never still the same as always....I am classic but funky at times and maybe even rock and roll
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
short, althletic for my age 59 . petite although my weight can fluctuate.
17. Please describe your mind.
STRONG, and SECURE
18. Please describe your emotions.
I feel sympathy for others and will always try to help. But I keep my emotions in check as I have been through a lot of personal sadness due to illnesses and deaths.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Jean long shorts I have had for years by Vince I bought 5 pairs because they are long and perfect and I can paperbag. and a Red tee-shirt with a cool saying on it. Cool Birkenstock's and I have my hair in a pony tail and no makeup.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Not important but I always like to think I look cute/cool.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Just one or two of my close friends that do not judge and who's style I admire and my girls.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I dress for where I am going and the image I want to project.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste is looking a something and knowing that it is classic and cool and will stand the test of time....you either have it or you don't...
Style is more trendy and knowing how to wear things.
I think Taste is more important because that is harder to develop.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
UGH...I bought a leather coat that was reduced from $4000 to $1000. I live in Arizona and never wore because it is too warm here. After having it for about 10 years I recently gave it to my friend who has a home in NYC and she wears it all the time....and she has tons of clothes.....I always knew it was cool and classic.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
NO wish I did.....but I can spot something that is a knock off that no one would ever know.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
No...but when I am stressed I love to shop it relieves the pressure.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like with fashion and I know it very quickly...I think I know what I like in other areas...but sometimes what I think I like is not always what I "really" like...I think I should like certain things although many times I really don't.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I just picked up things and yes about style....no about caring for clothes
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I wear a bit more makeup and maybe more form fitting clothes that's about it.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable is when I am wearing the clothes they are not wearing me.....and nothing is too tight and I am wearing flats. Confident is almost the same thing in that I am wearing the clothes they are not wearing me. Most of the time it is when I am wearing something very classic.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
You have to know what is right for you...and every person is different. You have to know the image you want to portray, and dress for the situation. That's what makes dressing fun because we all have different situations in our lives to dress for. Never wear a uniform....BORING
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Well designed clothing with a flair. It can be a lot of things from jeweled items to beautiful fabic .
34. What do you consider very ugly?
clothing that fits poorly
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes.......the only times I make a mistake is if I let a sales person talk me into it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I just look in the mirror and see if I like what I see and if I have the perfect combination on. I have things from 10-20years ago that I still wear.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
What I am doing, whether it is tennis, work, or just a casual day when I am not seeing friends.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
dressing for the occassion
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is when I am going out at night or to a daytime event. Dressing is every other time.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Black items....sweaters, pants, shoes and white shirts or all types. and of course denim.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I wear well made cutting edge or classic clothing....anything the opposite of this
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am jewish and where I grew up in ny we all loved clothes.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
no but I am older now.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
classic clothing nothing over done
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
tennis clothes and lulu for spinning.
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
black pants and a comfy sweater.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
French- Paris...classic simple
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
in the middle
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Depends on the photograph
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
be who you are...but do it well
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
sometime wear..... Annick Goutial. citrus scents and Guerlain
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Yes...a little mascara and blush and concealer..lip gloss
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
too many to chose....I love my La Alambra bracelet in all gold Van Clef and diamond stud earings.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
kilts from when I was a young girl...Kenzo my first favorite designer...can't give them away a great collection Ralph Lauren piece.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
classic well fitting trousers.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
Yes there are a few things that were very cool from Henry Lehr in NYC that I gave away...but I think they would still look great!!!!!
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
nothing...maybe buy less
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
can't remember...although probably a rolex watch
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Isabel Marant top that I bought 2 of but wanted one in red.....
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I am kinda messy...UGH wish I was better
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
My mom always gave me beautiful jewelry.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
no I have a lot of good things and know their value
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
when I need a particular piece or when I am bored or stressed
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
80. How does money fit into all this?
you better have money to do what I do in stores
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
A wallet made of alligator by Ralph Lauren Collection..I love it.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
No not really I have always loved my clothes......
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
10/15/1955 I was born in NY and was raised on Long Island....I live in Scottsdale Arizona
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Jewish from the Five Towns...affluent
What kind of work do you do?
I run my husband's medical practice along with playing a lot of tennis. I raised 3 daughters who have graduated college although 1 daughter is in medical school now.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married 3 daughter's
How do you feel after filling out this survey?