Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
in bath or bed,naked
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
smartly styled, confident or own fashion sense
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
they pick a style that suits them, not whats in fashion
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
changing from mandatory skirts in school to cord pants, too damn cold and i was tired of freezing, i rebelled
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
buying what's in fashion, that name brands don't always mean quality-i don't follow period
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
second hand stores, depending on the person, am a die harder
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
i try to live in the pattern of life, give as much as i can , am pagan, its our creed
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
cami tops, can't wear bras- these are comfy
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
goth, just not me- nor officy
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
body yes,alas- style no
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
i wore cowboy boots all yr grade 13, i really had bad times and didn't want to talk to anyone, my loud stride put people off-that and mostly black clothes,not goth
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
no fur, leave it on the animals, leather yes-i try not to buy child labour clothes
16. Please describe your body.
averagely shaped,hourglass, 60 ish sagging a bit, but not bad-5'3", 130 lbs-pretty good
17. Please describe your mind.
active, questioning ,always learning,sense of humour,
18. Please describe your emotions.
active but calm,i try to be peaceful(have fibromyalgia)-sometimes depressed
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
glasses, a dressing gown,and hair is bed tousled
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
a couple of friends, rarely
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
taste very eclectic- style ditto, tending toward quiet- not very flamboyant
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
no,try not to
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
yes, polar fleece or plush anything, feels cozy and safe
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
yes and yes- where from, time and growth
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
perfume, hair colour, a smile, something that looks good on and is comfy
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfy, dont care what others think- confidant, dont care what others think and dont care if others know it-
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
balance, a bit of colour and pattern ,that doesn't clash- no overdo ing
34. What do you consider very ugly?
bad pucci, mixing clashes, overdone makeup, poor hair and body care- aggressive attitudes-
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
no, i just decide if i look ok to me
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
temperature and activity
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is for special, a bit of discomfort may be involved- more complicated- don't do it often
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
clogs, jeans,a cami undertop, a fleece sweater, jacket waterproof
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
not, dresses and skirts- not fond of them, drafty--jeans and fleece and good quality soft sweaters /tops
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
english, hasn't influenced
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
had to wear skirts in school, hated it-and bras, cdn bras are different shape than english breasts, never fit right
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
keep clean ,tidy, repaired- bit of lip gloss- hair colour and cuts
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
work at home, when volunteering there are health rules that are legit
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
i would find it constraining
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
hip huggers, mocassins, a fringed leather jacket, and a sweater- comfy and young
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
yes a man's body, no to dress per se
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
medieval for costumes, not the history-or ancient egypt
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
no,but not -averagely
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
boy i've aged- yet others see the young me in there-
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
yes a few
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
victorian corsets and wide dresses
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
i already am and do
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
not particularly ,when i go out i project a don't bug me attitude
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
wear your size, wear flattering not crap
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
rarely-love it tho
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
not ,hate it can't do it right
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
soft fleece things,jeans, camis ,scoop neck Ts,some nice quality shirts and tops, silk,cashmere- rings lots of them and earrings- natural stones-
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
real amber jewellry and my pagan stuff--
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
fringed leather jacket- wear rarely, love it, heavy and the weather has to be right
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
soft sweaters and pants, good winter boots and a good winter coat
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
my blue suede jacket, don't remember what happened- grew to big? loved it
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
one?- no, a pr of fleece pants and a fleece sweater
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
yes,still have - a pendant, from a lady whose house my family broke down outside of--i was 7-costume ruby and diamonds
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
i volunteer in a thrift shop- so pretty well every week now- before, rarely- only as needed
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
80. How does money fit into all this?
alot- am very monetariy challenged
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
pentacle ,and watch when i go out
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
people who check my ID- or see a yong photo of myself- compliments
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
june 4th,1955- born england, live welland ont, canada
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
was middleclass till cancer, now disabled due to side effects, work part time-
What kind of work do you do?
media monitor/press clippings
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
a single child neglected emotionally by parents and few friends, my style not influenced by public culture or anyone,tough personal choices always
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
i find myself drifting toward more colour and surprise outfits,as i get older and less inhibited- age has its good points- i definitly have my own style at 59, and i don't care about others opinions- working at home has its advantages,i wear what I WANT- being pagan also influences, materials, colours ,uses