Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am wearing lipstick and Chanel No.5 and when I am wearing clothes that I already own in a way that I have not tried before.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Either women who are dressed very individually and therefore stand out. However, I only ever tend to see those kinds of women when I go to a city. I also notice and admire women who have a neat, monochrome look.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who come across as confident and positive.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
This year when "normcore" was coined and I realised that you do not have to dress outlandishly every single day in order to express yourself.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I try not to buy items that I didn't already have in my mind that I wanted to buy before I went out shopping.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Dress to embody whoever is currently inspiring you to the most, sartorially or otherwise.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Between me and the 4 Coco Chanel biographies I've read!
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Patterned tights, sunglasses and faux fur coats. I like my legs and wearing patterned tights draws attention to them. I do not like my face/bags under my eyes so much and sunglasses hide both. Faux fur coats always make me feel so glamorous.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
No, not that I can recall.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
The internet emoji print trend because I think it's tacky. Although, there was a time when I did love it; but that time passed quite quickly.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I don't think so. My mother dislikes some of what I wear. However, she does dress well herself most of the time, but often in a more muted way than I do.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
No, but I am constantly inspired by certain girls at school who I am not necessarily close friends with.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I was twelve I started buying Teen Vogue and dressing to imitate the clothes in the editorials. Before then my style had been rather dull and conformist.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Sometimes I dress stereotypically unattractively to challenge stereotypical notions of beauty. When I dress more attractively or sexually I feel empowered.
16. Please describe your body.
I think I'm a pear shape because I have a small-ish waist and boobs but wide hips.
17. Please describe your mind.
Lots of people say I'm very deep but I don't really like that label. It sounds kind of frumpy.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I am very sensitive but I am capable of toning down my sensitivity if the situation requires it.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm in a sheer black shirt, black bodycon skirt and oversized black jumper. I am wearing a little concealer, winged black liquid eye liner, mascara and lip gloss. My hair is natural so it is very curly.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I place a very high importance on dress. I understand if others do not, but by not caring they are making a statement anyway. Personally, I enjoy putting a lot of thought into the clothes I wear.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My best friend mostly, but also anyone who will listen to me ramble on about clothes!
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
My school has a dress code which means that I wear blazers or similar jackets most days. I usually wear jeans or other prohibited items at the weekends.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have more taste than style. I know a lot about fashion and I know what looks good, but sometimes I struggle to translate that into my outfits on a daily basis. I think that taste is more important because it also applies to a wider range of culture. Although style is also very important.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought a top without trying it on but it looked incredibly unflattering. I kept it, however, because it was a nice top. It just didn't suit my figure. I think it was around £20, so not a colossal loss, but I could have spent that money more wisely.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I wear a black bandeau with almost everything! I have so many sheer or slightly see-through shirts, but bandeaus make them so much more wearable.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I pay attention to the way my tastes come across in everything. That can sound like I'm posing, but everything that I like comes together to create who I am, which in itself has a certain aesthetic. I apply it to music, books, writing and films.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
On the first day back to school this year I wore a really wacky outfit as a way of saying "f*ck you" to the people in my year!
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes. I always know what I like. I've always been very headstrong about what I want. I'm not sure where that came from.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I think I picked up most things from fashion magazines and, slightly later, fashion blogs.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Put on lipstick.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Yes. My most memorable one was about a gold sequin long sleeved mini dress and I have been trawling the shops ever since in a vain attempt to find such a dress.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
I don't like wearing bodycons because they draw attention to my hips.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Attract people who are interested in clothes or at least interested in people who dress a little differently. Repel people who think my style is "weird."
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Love it. Yes, but not everyday. I usually save it for special occasions or days where I feel like I need that extra confidence.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Go for more black, whites, pastels and metallics.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
A pink Ted Baker coat. No. It would be too small.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A gold long sleeved sequin dress that I saw in my dreams.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I sort them out from time to time but in between they can get pretty messy.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I want to work in fashion so how I dress is always on my mind.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I buy a lot of my clothes from charity shops. When I get money for birthdays etc. I spend on investment pieces.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
It used to be my Chanel lipstick but now it's nearly run out.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
9th August 1997. UK and UK.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?