Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am about to go out to dinner with my husband, friend, ....
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Women with a certain"flare"...scarf, necklace.....'put together.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Detail.....accessories.....clean, fresh, hair...not 'made up'.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I started to work , I wanted to be professional AND comfortable.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Must love it.....must "go to rink", "go to ...."
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Buy what you need and love.....not what is on sale.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Talking with my best friends (of over 35 years)....making a pact never to buy something unless we LOVED it.....even if it were on sale.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I supposed ....making sure I was 'doing" all of the above for the RIGHT reasons.....not just because I was afraid of what others thought of me.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. A ring to my daughter. All clothes for my husband.
Most clothes for my adult daughter.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
ACID WASH JEANS. MINI SKIRTS. LEATHER PANTS.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Yes....she was wearing 'cool stuff' at 80.....and looked good in it.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
yes......from my daughter on occasion.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes....I stopped wearing 'drindle skirts' lol.
(for all the obvious reasons....)
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I try not to buy OBVIOUS labels or know sweat shop user labels.
16. Please describe your body.
Average height. Slender. Good for what I want to do...lol.. Love it.
17. Please describe your mind.
Amazing. Also good for what I need. Love it.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Good....happy with my family and life. Had an amazing career, amazing family (growing up) amazing family now! Realize I am very lucky.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Washed...mid length..good cut....down.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Not really....just like to look good.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Daughter, friends....sometimes husband and son.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I had to dress more conservatively when working....
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Classic. not too outrageous.
Words mean.....relatively timeless......jeans, white blouse or t shirt...blazer....good boots.....
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Yes....some shoes loved....but never worn.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Buy some items (good) and spend less on others. Over all effect is raised.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Home.....also classic. Car.....etc.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes. I'm not sure where it comes from.....not too concerned about what others think i guess.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Dad...."shoes make the man". Don't skimp on shoes or coats.
Mom....'quality over quantity"
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
A touch more makeup.....a bit more attention to detail. Perfume.....perhaps.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable in both how it feels on one's body....and how you see yourself..
Confident.....you feel good in your own body and clothes and convey that feeling to others.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Make yourself happy.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Slovenly dressing. Unkempt. Unclean.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Goes with my life and 'other clothes'.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Not really....more on what I like to see. Confusing....
question. Not really caring what the 'other eye sees....my eye counts.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Shower....am I walking the dogs first lol
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Covering.....warmth....style. Suiting to activity for the day.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
"dressing up".....going out for the evening.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Jeans, t-shirt, scarf, silver bracelets.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Lots of 'stuff' is not me.
Plain and muted 'is me.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Small town....university. German and English parental background.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
When I worked I dressed for work. Now I do not.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Choose different clothes....
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans, tshirt, or white blouse.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Only one time.....when I was working I had a suit that my boss hated...so I wore it as often as possible. lol
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Wear something that fits properly. Good 'foundation' garment
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Like the freshness of it.....again...subtle...not overpowering....just as in dress.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Silver and gold bracelets. Wedding rings.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Wedding dress. REally expensive suit.....'never know when it will come in handy" lol
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Jeans. T shirts. Good coat.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My sheared beaver coat....I wear it to walk the dogs and to plays......everywhere.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Sheared beaver coat. Good jewellery
Yes....all the time.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Perfect pair of 'Beatle boots"
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Wedding ring. Necklace. Handknit sweater.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
When something wears out or gets ruined....I try to replace it.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
My ambition is to be content and to have a confident family.....Clothes....?
80. How does money fit into all this?
Buy what you can afford. Does not need to change your style.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Wedding ring, sliver and gold bracelets, earrings, lipgloss.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Once in PARIS.....someone asked where I got my boots!!
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Exaclty.....grade 2 someone made fun of my mittens which my mother had knit for me and had faces on them. Grade 6 I had knee high boots and someone made fun of them.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married. Two kids. Two large dogs.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Same as before I filled it out.
Look forward to your book.