Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm ovulating.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes! Brunette women with dark brows. I am very fair and envious of olive skin and big thick gorgeous eyebrows. Also women who carry themselves in a confident way, standing tall, doing their own thing. These women inspire me.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Confidence. Smiling just because. Cute outfits!! I love shopping while I'm out and about just by looking at people on the sidewalks!
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes, when I moved to my first big city after graduating college, I was very lonely and new to this loneliness, not having my best friends surrounding me. I instead put all of that excess energy normally reserved for socializing, into putting together cool outfits to strut around in as I went out into the world alone on my bicycle. It started off as a hobby, a way to occupy my time, but soon evolved into a passion for me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Hmm. Listen to your gut! If it doesn't feel absolutely right, it will probably chill out in the back of my closet before I donate it with the tags still attached.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
My color palate. I know what colors look good (cool blues, teals, rich purples, soft warms like peach and pink, and earthier colors like olive greens and mustards, and then deep rich hues in the fall, like plums, maroons, burgundys...!) and which colors just don't work with my skin...bright orange or yellow or blue, anything super saturated just washes me out.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Oh gosh, I don't know... Its really been a solo journey for me....
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Oh...um a balance of chaos and order! I will go weeks without cleaning my room, or paying my bills, and then one day I will snap, and just get it all done so I can continue my hedonist lifestyle.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Hmm I have several floral button downs to wear for work or on cool summer nights. I like having the choice of color.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Hmm...whenever something doesn't quite suit me anymore, I think of which friend would give it the best life, so to speak. I always feel good about those choices.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
What are trends anyway? So fleeting? Is doing my own thing a trend?
! Though I will say i was stoked when higher waisted items came back in... I've got a good hip-to-waist ratio going on :)
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Hm. She is very classic. Simple, elegant, and classic. Her primary concern is to dress appropriate for her age with out falling out of style. Her tagline: "Its this too old-lady-ish?"
I've definitely taken tips on how to stay current and yet effortlessly classic from her.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Hm. Probably. In college people were pretty into headbands, but like, going horizontally around the skull. That was hip.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I don't think I had a very "dramatic moment." It was more about being hip and in keeping with my age and self transformation. My early twenties self was a very different person from my mid-upper twenties (current) self.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I am just so grateful to have been born into a country that allows for freedom of expression through clothing, especially as a young woman.
16. Please describe your body.
5'5, soft fair skin, hips are there, strong thighs, cute small breasts, shoulders are just a hair broader than my hips, my skull is tall, my face longer but not too long, muscles are toned but not scary. And I've got a cute lil tummy pouch!
17. Please describe your mind.
Oh god. Don't know if I can go there right now, its an every changing vat of ideas and thoughts and observations. Mostly observations, with not too many conclusive thoughts. Um, very stormy at times, and at others like butterfly thoughts flitting about.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Stong. As feist says "I feel it all, I feel it all" ! I experience every emotion very fully. Except for anger. Still working on that one...I don't know how to be angry because I always viewed it as a terrible weakness, watching my father's temper explode as a child....but anger can be a good source of forward momentum if you can figure out how to harness it.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Ugh today is not a good outfit day! Ugly unflattering olive green pants, because its cold and I don't have any pants for this weather, a peach tank top and a floral button down with colors that make me happy, a tan scarf, slip on sneakers. Sunscreen, light powder, mascara, concealer under my eyes, and hair is in a ponytail because I got it cut yesterday and am not totally thrilled about how it looks :/
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Ugh my $400+prom dress!!! Though my parents paid for it...it felt like the biggest waste, especially since it ripped at post-prom....
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Bold power colors. Or all black.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfort and confidence mean doing your thing for YOU without considering the thoughts wants needs or judgments of others...
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Find colors and fabrics that flatter you and enhance the way you move through life!
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Golden hour, sunset, hitting buildings and plants and trees! Wildflowers in late summer. Being alone and feeling totally okay with it.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Color clashing. And when people don't seem connected to their bodies. This really bums me out, to observe people schlumping through life.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Trust the gut! If it feels wonderful when you try it on, its a go!
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Hm, its hard for me to get outside my head...but if I know who I am meeting up with, I will perhaps put myself in their shoes, so to speak.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I like to have an idea the night before... But sometimes I am feeling bloated and don't want to wear the tights, or its too chilly to wear a skirt.... I like to have a few fallback options so that I don't get caught up trying to figure out a whole nother outfit when I'm rushed in the morning. Worst way to start the day.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Class, something thats appropriate for the occasion, comfortable, but also hip/stylish.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up to me means a special occasion, like a wedding, or going to eat at that expensive restaurant. Its fun!
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
A jumpsuit, cinched at the waist, not too tight in the bum. I'm thinking navy...kinda like something Rosie the Riviter would have worn... Hair up in a cute head wrap!
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me = relaxed, clothes that flatter my figure, tighter fabrics, a cross between urban hip and urban granola!
Not me = hippy, punk, materialistic, italian, unpractical, athletic...
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Oh just a sheltered eldest child from the white suburbs of a small (formerly industrial) american city. I didn't really wake up to the excitement and flavor of fashion til I lived on my own in Boston.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
Oh god in high school I just wanted to look like a Hollister Model. BARF!!!! I was so wrapped up in dressing like how I was supposed to dress.. I also went through an apathetic phase of lots of baggy sweatpants/pajama pants/ sweatshirts.....I think I was rather depressed, then. Happy that's all behind me. Also! omg there was a time when I HAD TO wear bubblegum pink every single day. God I was a weirdo.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Sleeveless collared blouse. Hair up in a ponytail. Mascara. Black pants. Maybe heels for a bit of extra confidence.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I am much younger than everyone else, so I think my choices sometimes surprise them. And, though this doesn't have to do with fashion per se, I don't shave my armpits....which I think throws most people off at first, esp in a professional setting.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Leggings and an oversized t-shirt! So comfy! And it works for any age!!
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Hm not really? Though sometimes I will rock the 12-yr-old boy look...
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Actually, I wish I had been born a few years earlier so I could have been a teen/twenty something in the grunge era of the nineties. The early 2000s were AWFUL for fashion! I shudder thinking about the low rise jeans and all the weird stuff I made my mom buy. Ughhhh.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
I'm already so happy with my body.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Umm. Depends on the day!
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Chose decent fabrics!!!! Cheap fabrics are NOT FLATTERING. Also, check with someone to make sure your clothing isnt see-through before you wear it out. And don't wear polkadotted underpants with white pants!!!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Meh, I prefer essential oils. The perfume industry is a scam.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Iron them as needed. I have to shrink a lot of my stuff down after I wear it a few times.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Its kinda its own thing. I'm pretty minimal. I just have bad circles under my eyes so I cover that up every day and look like a new person.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
I am a teacher, so my work clothes have to be appropriate. But there are still ways to have fun with it.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I try to only own things I love and wear often.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
These black shorts...I wear the practically everyday in the summer. And these stud earrings that match my style and everything I own. Also, leggings!!!!
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I don't often go to super fancy places, but I have a few dresses that I love, even though they are only appropriate for fancy weddings...
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
A raincoat. Versatile items (like the black shorts). Dresses that fit well and are flattering and comfortable to wear in a pinch!
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
Oh gosh, I don't know!
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
NOOOOO! :'( Probably this sick wool sweater that I got in Portland? But...NOOOOOO!
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Pay more attention to fabrics...texture, quality, functionality.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Oh my raincoat that my mother bought me for sure. Its so adorable on me, powder blue... I love it!
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Lately I've been really into functional garments. I ride my bike a lot and want to invest in some underarmor.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Hmm. Boots! Boots are a tough investment. Esp for the snow...
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
My friend just gifted me this gorgeous flowy floorlength floral skirt because it was more my color palate than hers. I was so grateful!
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Oh man, those black shorts I keep talking about! My mom picked them up on super sale at the GAP and I wear em alllll the timeeeeee.
ALSO! My infinity scarves from American Apparel. Best investments ever.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Oh not often. A few times a year. Half the time at thrift stores or consignment shops.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Musty/natural. Haha. Big on sandalwood.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
As Elle Woods said..."Totally look the part." Dress for what you want to become!!!
80. How does money fit into all this?
I'm really frugal when it comes to spending on clothing. Thrifting plus having a SUPER GENEROUS MOTHER....I get by alright :) If its something super practical I know I'll use all the time... I don't feel bad about the investment.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Usually a scarf.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Just general compliments...
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Probably in high school?
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
I was born in Buffalo, NY, and I am living in Buffalo now.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Sheltered white american! Went to liberal arts school and realized I prefer the urban life.
What kind of work do you do?
I teach adult refugees ESL and vocational skills. I love it :)
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single. Don't think I want kids, or marriage even. I'm addicted to freedom.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Lovely! Can't wait to purchase this book!