Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am happy, feeling confident, with people I love.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice most everyone. I admire confidence, joy, those at home in the world.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I am impressed by good posture and ease.
I am impressed by women who dress well (that can be MANY different styles)
I admire happiness.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I remember when I first started sewing and altering clothes for myself feeling like I understood what I liked and how I could have a style that was all my own.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I prefer flowing, loose fitting clothing.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I fucking LOVE shoes.
They are sexy and say a lot about a person.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I make jewelry for sale and for gifts.
I have given earrings to my sister-in-law as gifts for years and she wears them all the time. Makes me happy every time I see her that she wears and loves this jewelry.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
low cut everything
skin tight clothing
I find it uncomfortable and do not want to draw so much attention to myself.
Also tatoos, I find them terribly unattractive.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother was very glamorous and a bit formal.
I like to think I have some of her glamour, tho I am far more casual. She had a lovely figure, though heavy legs. I have a willowy figure though a bit thick in the middle, especially as I age.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Not that I can think of. I am more of a maverick and unique.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I had a long period of wearing black and dark colors, living in Seattle. Not goth, just dark.
I try to steer away from that now, though will always love the simplicity and clean lines of black dresses, and pants
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Not usually. I went through a hippy stage, no bra, no shaving. I guess that was politically based.
16. Please describe your body.
I am of medium height, 5'5", long arms and legs,
slender though I have a pot belly. I am short waisted
and weigh 123lbs.
17. Please describe your mind.
I am creative, anxious, odd, and particular of humor.
I love to laugh.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I live by my heart, am sensitive and tender towards myself and others
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Hair is helter skelter. I have light moisturizing sunscreen on my face, earrings, a skirt and flowy cotton shirt, a bracelet and flip flops.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
comfortable, non constricting
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
one or two in particular.
My 17 yr old daughter
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste is about choosing wisely and KNOWING what I like
Style is being able to put clothes and accessories together well.
Having lots of money is helpful, though not necessary for either of these.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
being clever with hats and scarves.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
you bet I do.
Home and garden are my palette
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I am discerning in all areas, having strong opinions about style. I like casual elegance, comfort, classic lines and colors, all with a healthy dose of funk. Think shabby chic plus metrosexual.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I have created my own style.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
show off my legs
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
at home in ones own skin = comfortable
confident= good posture, feeling at home in the world
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
dress for comfort.
wear beautiful fabrics, usually natural fibers, always have a secret something. love what you wear. have great shoes/boots.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Natural beauty, gardens, flowers, mountains, oceanside.
Health equals beauty.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Slouchy falling off clothes,
fakey dyed hair
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Not always, though usually.
my senior prom dress served me for many years as it was atypical and perfect special occasion dress.
I like to choose carefully and know I will be able to wear items I purchase for years.
I dislike super trendy clothes and avoid them.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I consider the days activities and the weather.
I consider comfort first, then depending on my mood a bit of flair or not.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Comfort, looking neat, clean, simple
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up means fancier clothes and shoes, perhaps some makeup (which I wear very little or none most days)
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
That depends on season and what I am doing that day. Skirt sweater boots
summer dress and flip flops,
Often a hat
Often a scarf
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me= casual elegance, low heeled
not me = trendy, high heels
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Middle American, melting pot
NO influence in how I dress
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I am not and so I don"t
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
though in high school when I wore a uniform I would jazz it up with crazy knee socks
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
I like the idea of a uniform
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Skirt sweater boots.
Comfortable, slightly feminine, sporty
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Paris in the 50"s
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
I imagine myself prettier than most photos I see of myself. I think big mouths and lips make a person photogenic. I have neither of those features.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
That I look a bit mousy
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
punk,tatooed, tight clothes
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
DON't wear tight clothes.
They only look good on skinny model types and anyhow, be a little more mysterious!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I detest commercial perfumes, they have a certain chemical smell that literally sickens me.
I like natural plant derived scents free of chemical additives. Musky, floral herbal is what I prefer.
Sandalwood, rose, my current favorite, datura.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
BE clean, shave legs and armpits, use alcohol in armpits to control odor and kill bacteria, wear a little lipstick.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Only a little. Lots of makeup turns me off.
A little for special occasions is good
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
simple mostly flowing clothes, sweaters, nice shoes,
beautiful quiet jewelry (pearls and gemstones)
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My husband gave me a strand of small black diamonds a few years ago. Simple. Quiet. Elegant.
I wear a simple diamond band that belonged to my mother that she wore for 35 years and I wear every day.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a velvet dress
it is beautiful and was expensive but does not fit well.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
great shoes and boots
comfy long sweater or sweatshirt material coats that can spruce up casual clothes
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Have most components interchangeable
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
nice italian leather shoes
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
low heeled, great leather
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I'm a bit messy,
hold on to things thinking I will alter them or re purpose
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
the black diamond necklace
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
clean and datura
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
What kind of work do you do?
make art, garden
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, one daughter, 17
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
enjoyed hearing you on the radio yesterday. Look forward to reading this book. Lucky you two, interviewed by Gian Gomeshi!!
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
it was fun and oddly satisfying.