Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel most beautiful after I do a good deed.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I tend to look at women that are the complete opposite of me. I love to imagine what my life would be like if i was the complete opposite of myself.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I love when women are fearless and bold. I love women that dont abide by the "before you leave the house take off one thing" I love excess and layers
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I never had much of a voice due to childhood abuse and found that while i worked up the courage to speak louder i would dress with courage and communicate that way.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
its all emotional. If something makes me feel a certain way then i will get it. I need to communicate properly and only can when i shop emotionally
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I am have an hour glass shape and feel that i need to highlight my waist to give emphasis to it. I feel like a bag in non structured clothes and well i am simply not a bag.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I am a costume designer so I feel really lucky to have an insightful discussion every day at work. We talk about who these characters are and try to find meaningful ways to let these people speak. we give such great meaning to clothing... a truly thoughtful and purposeful meaning to every single article of clothing we chose.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I am very split brained. Anything aesthetic i only allow for my emotional brain to decide but with chores and finances etc i only allow my analytical side to work. I believe that is the only way to balance who i am and make my life a good representation of who i am.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I love bolo ties. I have tons of them and I loved seeing men wear them growing up in texas.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave my mother a necklace and Iove when she wears it. Nothing brings me more joy than to see her and know that she has a part of me on her.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Normcore (or any trend similar) I think it is very dangerous to participate in mass dress. You lose your individuality and ability to communicate properly.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother is a smaller in height version of me. We both have an hour glass shape with a big butt (the origin of which is suspicious) I love that when my mother got out of an abusive relationship her style blossomed and really became her own which is why i feel so strongly about styles trans-formative powers.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Not really. I am stubborn as hell when it comes to making sure that i am only representing myself accurately.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Junior high. I needed to find a voice and it was the only thing i could do to start communicating
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
I am 5'5 and hour glass. I have only recently begun to love my body as it becomes more womanly. I am currently in the age of acceptance and that makes life a lot fuller.
17. Please describe your mind.
I am traditional yet progressive. Warm and very cold. I feel like I am a lot of contradictions but i really like that. I think it helps me to understand people and life better because i can reason both sides of something.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I think about things very hard and long and only when i am sure of how i feel i assign an emotion and then I feel it very deeply.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I have day old hair, a polka dot dress, bolo tie and silver dress shoes.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It means a great deal. to me its like asking "Does who you are matter?"
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
everyone. Colleagues, friends, family, strangers.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
no. I am not apart of one (knowingly) so i suppose it doesnt affect me.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I dont know. I know that i am what i am and it isnt for me to decide. I dont dress to give you answers I dress to start a story or to give you insight.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I dont think it would ever be a waste
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Bolo ties. They make people laugh, feel nostalgia, ask questions etc. It seems really stupid but i have had tons of amazing conversation about my silly little bolo tie.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I love interior design. I feel that is as important for your home to represent you as your dress does.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Oh ya. When I walk onto a job where I know because of my age the talent or producers might not trust my ability I wear my boldest outfit and feel empowered because I have the courage to wear it. People will never question confidence.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I think you should always be open. We change everyday and to set limitations and structure around those things wouldnt allow you to evolve naturally.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
No I think i just watched my mother evolve and that was very cool. there was never really anything discussed.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
When i am in an outfit that is very much me and reflective of who i am I feel really sexy.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfort is dressing being who you are. To me its like saying "Hey i wrote a comfortable memior" it doesnt really make sense.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Well i suppose it is the only thing I do and I would say take great and thoughtful approach to the things you wear.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Happiness and seeing people really comfortable in their skin.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
I dont think there is anything ugly. Things are just in different places on their way to being beautiful. Well Ugg boots... those are actually ugly.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes. I know that if whatever i have in my hand doesnt register on my mind as a part of myself that i am truly to terms with i wont wear it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
No. I gave up dressing for others long ago. Its too much work and anxiety to try and answer all those questions.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I dont touch my hair. Whatever it is is what it will be. I put on makeup and during that time i think about how i feel and then go for the clothes.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
I want you to get a glimpse of me. I want to start a story
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
I always over dress slightly because i think it shows respect. i respect myself and want to show that i respect others.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Black formfitting wool dress long sleeve. Big ethnic necklace and cowboy boots.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
well a tiara is not me and a bolo tie is.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am from the south so I was raised to be presentable at all times and I really like that.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I used to dress really schlubby and now i dress very deliberately and conscious of my body and mood.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I have a uniformed make up look. I try to always dress in a way that is i guess a little contradicting and hopefully thought provoking. Thats what i want to be as a boss... some who makes people think.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I dont really. I work in a pretty casual and function oriented industry so i feel like i am really lucky to dress any way I want to.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
I have a vintage wool fitted dress in black that i love. It is the perfect canvas to let some accessories do some talking
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
absolutely not. I dress a lot of men for my job and find that they have a way harder time being an individual.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I dont think so. I love certain things from different times but i dont think that one era speaks out to me
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Dont know, dont care.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Hey thats me.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Iris Apfel. Holy bananas is that lady something. I think she is the ultimate.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
EVERY DAMN NIGHT. I would love to have a night where i didnt dream about clothing.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
any sexy halloween costume. I think i would just about shit and die if i had to wear something like that.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
What i wear now.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
well i suppose when you dress to represent yourself you kinda just attract the things and people that you like subconsciously. Thats why its important to be thoughtful.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress however the hell you want to.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love perfume. I have a scent i have worn for year and to me it is like clothing. When i am not wearing anything else and I can smell it I feel really sexy
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
well if i dont have a bolo tie on I sure as hell am not ready to be seen by the world.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I do basic makeup. I have never felt the desire to play with it.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
I guess it is assumed that i would follow trends or be interested in high fashion because of my job but i really dont care.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I have a ton of random items. nothing is like the rest and I love that.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My vintage art deco ring my mother gave me. Its perfect
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have my mother and my grandmothers wedding dresses. I also have a lot of my grandmothers clothes and i couldnt fit into them but it is a nice reminder of her fearless sense of style.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Shoes. If you cant walk your clothes cant talk.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I had this beautiful diamond watch my mother gave me and I foolishly sold it right out of college to get buy and I wish that i hadnt.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My vintage black fitted dress.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
An expensive pair of cowboy boots. I will have them my whole life and my kid can have them for their life too.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
i think every purchase is important so one doesnt stand out.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect red dress
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I was told that genetically every woman in my family is incapable of keeping a closet orderly so I blame my commotion on that.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
The ring my mother gave me. I never take it off.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Not buy but i was given a bunch of vintage clothes from someone whose mother just passed and a lot of it sat around and one day every single piece became my favorite
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I shop for a living so it usually happens during working hours.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
If i can communicate who i am to you then i can communicate a character to an audience. it has everything to do with my abilities as a professional
80. How does money fit into all this?
Its worth the cost
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
my ring from my mother
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
no i dont really listen or ask for opinions
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Junior high i looked down and realized i looked like a schlubby chub and I decided that i wouldnt ever look like that again.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
born in Dallas texas r
eside in LA
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Upper middle class southern
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Reflective and very grateful for the opportunity to talk about my views.
I am a costume designer and believe in the power of clothing as a vital form of communication.