Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
The two days a week that I wash my hair
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes - the kind of women that don't notice me, because they are living fulfilled lives and don't feel the need to size up ladies they pass on the street
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Not really. Although I have a general sense of what will work for me, I'm still making mistakes and buying things like Snoop Dogg sweatshirts and crop tops that I will never feel comfortable in.
Three years ago I started cutting my hair and never looked back. Around the same time, I discovered matte orange-red lipstick. Same.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
ONLINE SHOPPING AT 3 a.m.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I don't wear pants.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I have never had a transformative conversation about fashion or style and am dubious that such a thing exists.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Leather skirts (because I like textual contrasts)
White t-shirts (because of mustard)
Horizontally striped things (because)
Black ankle boots (because Canadian winters ruin boots)
Suits (because work)
Jazzed up sweatshirts, i.e. Kenzo, Snoop Dogg (supra), embroidered (because they look good with the other things in this list)
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes, but they picked it out themselves.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Platform sneakers - because
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother and I often share shoes, but apart from this, our current style and bodies are dissimilar
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Mom's lamb leather skirts
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I dressed as a raver for two years in high school, in Urban Outfitters for most of undergrad, and in anything but since then
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Athletic build with a biggish bottom, but I have always wanted to be lean and lithe.
17. Please describe your mind.
Sluggish pre-coffee, somewhat incisive and no-nonsense post-coffee
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Bralette and soft slouchy pants. Hair in a bun. Nothing on face but for some weird Korean snail mucous cream that I slather on at night
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It isn't, unless you are an advertiser or an academic.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I imagine what would be "appropriate" in the situation and try to find something appropriate enough so as not to garner any negative attention, but which is also unique enough such that I don't hate it.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I suppose that I like nice things, and expensive things, but "taste" or "style" are words that other people use about you, instead of words that you apply to yourself.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought three new winter coats last year and never wore any of them.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Bicycle shorts under dresses in the summer - unsurprisingly, they are good for biking in.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
What does this mean?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes to both - mental heuristics
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
The honey badger Youtube videoclip
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
I wear clothes that I like that I don't feel the need to fidget in.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Anything in early morning light
34. What do you consider very ugly?
The entryway to my apartment building
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Nope! Hence the Snoop Dogg sweatshirt.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Sorry, people do this?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
1. Is it clean?
2. If not, can it be spot-cleaned?
3. Does it need to be steamed?
4. Do I have time to steam it?
5. When did I last wear it?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
I suppose I'm trying to match my clothes to my mood and what I have planned for the day.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Leather skirt, "fashion" sweatshirt, motorcycle jacket, black ankle boots
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Not me: Normcore
Not me: Bucket hats
Not me: Creeper shoes
Not me: "Bodycon"
Not me: Forever 21 but just turned 30
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Suburban - I'd like to think it hasn't influenced me
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Pencil in my eyebrows
Use a lint roller
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I guess I try not to look too cookie cutter, in that if I'm going to wear a silk shirt with a skirt, the shirt is dalmatian printed and the skirt is a pleated leather midi skirt.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
No such thing
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
No way - men's clothes are a snoozefest.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I'm typically very critical. I've never "learned my angles" and avoid being photographed.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Admiring people for their style is rather silly. In 2014, admiring someone's style is akin to saying that you admire their stylist. I suppose Marlene Dietrich is pretty legit, but I don't wear pants. Kate Bosworth always looks interesting, but she is basically a bone sack with no original thoughts, as far as I can tell.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Shorts and pants
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
No, I dress to please myself.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Gym clothing belongs in a laundry hamper or at the gym
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I'm a perfume devotee - particularly complex scents like from Le Labo
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Brush my teeth
Put on mascara
Lint roll black clothing
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I wear the same makeup every day: foundation/concealer, brown liquid eyeliner, rose cream blush, brown mascara, red lipstick
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Hodge podge of designer and junky fast fashion
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Alexander Wang green leather miniskirt
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A matching striped slong-sleeved shirt and circle skirt from Zara - I literally look insane in them (particularly when worn together), and the fabric is cheap
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
If you judge value by how much use you get out of the item, I suppose I'd say elevated "basics" that I tend to wear a lot: a black leather satchel, a pair of haircalf flats, a trenchcoat with leather sleeves, a cashmere scarf, a silk shirt with a Rorshach pattern, a well-cut black blazer, a pair of Acne ankle boots. This list looks super boring, but whatever.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I have literally never regretted eliminating my closet of detritus, and never think about any of the items I've donated, given to my mother, or left out on a street corner.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
A printed Suno sundress I bought a few years ago, if only because it is unique and it would be hard to find another like it.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
I am probably doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Hire someone else?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
A Theory suit (for work) - I still wear the blazer
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
A Marc Jacobs cotton shirt with a jabeau in the front - it was the first time I realized that I could buy literally anything I wanted online
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect fall coat
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I keep a giant basket of laundry that needs to be put away in the closet, away from people who might see it and realize that I am an utter slob
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
I was given a box of my Grandmother's rings when she passed away
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
I bought a cheap, swingy floral dress for less than $50 thinking that I would get a season or two of wear out of it, but it turned out to be cut just so, and I've since then worn it more times than I'd care to admit
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
ONLINE - frequently.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Clean, powdery, interesting
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
It doesn't - I view how I dress and my professional ambitions as mutually exclusive
80. How does money fit into all this?
I have some, but would be okay with having more.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Lipstick and a bunch of rings on my fingers.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
A couple of years ago, some friends and I had assembled around a table at a restaurant for a birthday. When introducing each of us to a stranger who happened upon our table, I was described as "well-dressed", whereas the descriptions of some of the other gals were focused on more personal character traits or quirks ... I have thought about this from time to time, and it has definitely influenced my views on fashion.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
On the first day of grade six, I had carefully curated a back-to-school ensemble that consisted of a denim jacket, a red plaid kilt and Mary-Janes. Fresh to death!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1983 - Niagara Falls
Now - Toronto
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I live with my boyfriend
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
Of all of the questions, this is the hardest one to answer. I suppose that says a lot about me.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I should have spent this time putting away the veritable mountain of clothes in my laundry basket.