Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
In all black ensemble, with some bold wing tip eyeliner. Plus killer shoes
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Those who can walk confidently even though she's in last night's sweats but you didn't notice that cuz you're to busy admiring her flawless beauty.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Every time I see something fashionably and black. The fashion goddess' personal message to me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
You buy the accessories that speaks to you..immediately
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Comfortable sandals like those strappy 90's ones
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
on Chanel's recent runway which featured a "protest" concerning feminism
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
go with the flow, schedules and timetables are meant to be broken. though secure something stable which enables you to approach life your way. Though, i think being stable is really subjective.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Rings, jeans, band t-shirts and jackets..i need them (duh!)
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
well we share the same built which is quite petite. She taught me the value of wearing clothes as a way to represent myself. Though we don't agree on colors.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
yes, all the time. My brothers tshirts, sister's cute blazer and dad's white shirts. oh also my mom's 80's sequinned jacket.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
puberty. i guess i wanted to impress to boys
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
i love it
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
chignon, no make up and black tshirt with navy jeans
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
to share my thoughts?
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my sister, mom and best friends.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
i did go to a school where they require you to wear uniforms. so i have this weird obsession with wearing matching things
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste..because that's when everybody agrees with what you wear.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
a hundred bucks worth green striped mini dress that i wore once
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
im good with safety pins
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
my mom told me to always remember to do my laundry. dad taught to buy quality over quantity
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
make up / shoes
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
when you're comfortable you're confident
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
black is the answer to everything except weddings.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
usually, i think ahead with the product in mind
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
they would say my hair is out of place and wish i wear something more feminine
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
its usually based on what's my mood that day
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is when you want all eyes on you. dressing can just be you in pajamas
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
black double breasted blazer, soft pink shirt and skinny jeans in black. a wide brimmed hat in maroon. stack of rings in left hand and sophisticated gold watch at right hand.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
blazers - me
dresses - not me
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
traditionally i have a modest approach on dressing up as i came from an Asian heritage.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
i remember wanting to dress like barbie because that's what all the girls at school are wearing
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
adding the perfect lipstick color to match your professional outfit
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
i tried folding the uniform sleeves which is considered a big no-no at my school
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
at times i feel both - teenage years are so confusing
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
cropped pants and white shirt, the smart casual vibe it gives off.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Alexa Chung, my mother and sister
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
yes i wanted to be a fashion designer
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
i wish i have long legs which means i can more maxi dresses
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
trying to convince myself really that i can make it through the day without looking like an embarrasment
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
wear clothes that is fitted for you. no more one size bigger or smaller because of any reason.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
love them, i wear it all the time.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
some ironing will do the trick if applicable.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
neutral yet enhances your best features.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
basic yet one of a kind
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
The leather jacket
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Floral jeans. because one day I might wear it.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My beatles tshirt
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
More neutral colours with occasional pastels and vibrant's like lilacs and red
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My ankle boots, yes
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
double breasted blazers!
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
depends on the day itself. busy = cluttered
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my aunt gave me her gold ring with opal stone as a present for my eighteenth birhtday
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Zara striped long sleeves, it has worn out
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
seasonal or sales
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
yes, smelling like spring
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
my rings and eyeliners
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
we value our family ties and would do anything to help each other
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
i know what i want but sometimes lack confidence to execute the necessary steps to achieve it.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?