Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel most attractive when I am wearing clothes that both fit me well and represent my personality. I think body image plays a large part in this equation.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women who are dressed expensively. I wonder how they can afford their clothes and admire this.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who always have perfect hair and makeup (and no cat hair on their clothing).
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I think it is "clicking" for me right now. I want to represent myself as best as possible and am realizing how fashion, make-up, and hair aid in this.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I try to buy second-hand if possible, but sometimes it is nice to walk into Nordstrom and know they are going to have your size.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I am inclined to not wear brown with black or navy blue with black.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
My ex-husband said you could wear anything if you are in shape and your body is such that it looks good in anything. Although this likely gives some girls confidence to wear whatever they want, I wholeheartedly disagree with his lack of compassion for women who struggle with accepting their figure – whatever shape they are in.
Since then, my new husband has said that you should dress for the job you want, not the job you have. After adopting this philosophy, I have doubled my salary in the past 1.5 years.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Get it done!
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I keep having to buy white shirts (tees, tanks…) because of armpit stains…
I have multiple pairs of shoes, black shirts, and jeans. I keep buying jeans and black shirts because they are my favorite thing to wear.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I have borrowed the idea that your closet doesn’t have to be full of too many options. I would rather wear the same stylish thing over and over again than have too much stuff and too many choices that I cannot decide on an outfit.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes, I would when I started graduate school I began thinking about dressing for the job I wanted.
16. Please describe your body.
5'7", 135lbs. Long torso and legs. Strong arms.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is pretty focused and serious most of the time.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions are pretty even-keeled. They like to sneak out in physical ways.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a black Banana Republic wrap shirt and grey H&M pencil skirt with black Blowfish wedges. My hair is rolled into a bun at the base of my neck/to the left under my ear. I am wearing Bare Escentuals makeup on my face (foundation, bronzer, matte finish, eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss).
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is only as important as you make it.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have taste and style, but often my budget does not match up with the cost of these things. To me, taste is a refinement and style equals flare.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I definitely have a speaking style.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I usually “dress up” (pull out the big guns) when I am feeling sick or nervous.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Picked things up.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
In the morning, I usually pick out my clothes for the day (before showering and taking care of my animals) based upon the weather and how much walking/commuting I will be doing.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Sometimes I am surprised that I can look pretty good and other times I wish I looked better.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
I have had sewing dreams leading up to fashion shows that mostly involve the outfit not being completed in time.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
I don’t think there are any looks I could not achieve.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Yes, I think it's great when worn subtly and I chose to wear either Wild Blue Bell cologne by Jo Malone or The Soft Lawn by Imaginary Authors.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
For work, I pretty much wear the same makeup every day. I guess you could say it doesn’t fit in.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I love my Rolex anchor necklace made by Seahag and Walrus and my gap skinny jeans.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
My wedding dress (which I shortened and dyed gray to wear on my one-year anniversary) and lots of older clothes I simply haven’t had time to clean out.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I still wear my grey Frye boots, but if you want to know about clothes not shoes, I would say my black sequined BCBG tank is an investment piece.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Sporadically. Usually for special occasions like my birthday, a new job, or a vacation.
80. How does money fit into all this?
It can be limiting factor.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
I was born on 05/08/1979 in Mountain View, CA and now live in Cambridge, MA.
What kind of work do you do?
I am the owner of Grasone Healing Arts and an independent contractor with ExecuPharm, Inc. working on assignment as a Sr. Clinical Trials Associate for Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, no kids yet, but we are expecting!