Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when the image of me equals my feelings in that moment
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
yes. the ones that has something (can be a gesture or a hairstyle) that I did not see before
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
when they take care of themselves despite how much money they may have
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
when I realize I was beautiful
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
to buy essentials items and do not be afraid to spend too much for a coat for example. a good coat is like a home. so do not fill your closet with hundreds of cheap t shirts or skirts because at the end of the day you will find yourself spending the same amount of money for a load of s*it instead for something you really need
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
dress with items that represent you the most. people will recognize you style and, yes, they'll copy you. but that's fun.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
my lifetime conversation with my mother
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
being kind and at the same as strong as I can, despite all the latest feminist's anthems, to be a woman requires those two skills and it's not easy to make people accept your strength
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
american apparel (despite I do not like their ad campaign) easy jeans in black because they are cheap and fit very well
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
yes, sometimes I dare to make a gift they never thought they could wear, and to see them happy that's a good feeling
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
a lot! ombre hair, hipsters tattoos trend to name some of the latests
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
she was a beautiful girl and she is now a beautiful old lady, she thought me about art and beauty and so I was able to develop my style. but she, well, she is really a master in style
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
yes, a more feminine way of dressing from a friend that was all about that
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I dress in black since my father's passing. I now allow some colors blocks and floral patterns
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Yes. You won't find me wearing a fur coat, for example
16. Please describe your body.
1,60 m; caucasian; brown hair and eyes
17. Please describe your mind.
an endless quest for visions
18. Please describe your emotions.
blue blue blue
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
wearing black jeans, black t shirt, black jacket, taupe boots, my hair are undone after the shower I just took, on my face a cc creme with spf
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
to develop a less superficial idea of what "feminist" can mean today
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
mother, sister, boyfriend, some close friend
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
they don't. but I like to make my style shifts
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I have a style that develops as my tastes develops.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought the Martin Margiela for H&M leather jacket in the smallest size which is and ever will be way too big for me
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
yes, dressing as to construct something, so using different layers and balancing them
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I do not work in fashion so yes, I do
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
when I was a child I used to have a box with some special dresses like incredible 80's skirts from my mum's closet that I used to transform myself like a cartoon hero. nowadays I do give everyday much importance to dressing because everyday's a battle
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I think one of my skills is at discernment. I will probably never create a proper dress (who knows) but I admit I always catch the good solution or idea this is why my sister wants me to work with as artistic director of her jewelry gallery. My discernment comes from being alway open and to think I can do wrong and to be as curious as I can and by trusting humble people
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother taught me how to take care of clothes and help me understand what to dress was about (so not only to cover your body or be comfortable); my father taught me to be always as elegant as one can be, also in bad times. One lesson I remember was: I was a child in Como Lake (where I was born) and I dressed up very badly I think. My mother came and told me I was able to do much better. I replied: what for? We're just going to walk by the lake! And she told me: ok, it's up to you but are you sure you're happy with that? So then I changed my clothes and I was so much happier because once at the lake I met one of the people I admire more, an astrophysicist.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I do all of these things and pretending not to have done all of these things, of course!
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
You can be comfortable by having an expensive dress on or to "create" your dress by layering or putting together unexpected things. I do not like the word "comfortable" because people intend it as an excuse to be lazy. To be confident means to reach a point in your life in which you understood, a little, who you are and where you want to go. Does not mean you have those answers tough.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
To gallop across the desert and that I had only to cross the desert, to ford the river to be safe. *
*cfr V. Woolf, Years
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
beautiful is an experience one has to try to share
34. What do you consider very ugly?
stupidity, lies, lazyness, arrogance
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
yes, by doing a lot of mistakes. I do think before buy anything.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
That other person is an image. My judgment comes from seeing it as such.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
The weather, our common denominator. Then my feelings and what I want to represent that very day.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To be able to stay focused wherever I'm going to be.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
There's no difference.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
the one I wear almost everyday: black jeans, black t shirt and....jewels
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
"I Is another" ;)
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Very much I think by having a taste for design. But I try to avoid to "seem" an artist. That's so un interesting
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
Yes, I was a grunge teenager
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
everything listed here but I do not force it because to be professional does not mean to look as you make up is more important than your project
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
In my workplace as in my city, Venice, I rebel by dressing in unexpected ways
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
no, but when I run I wear a black sweatshirt and black pants
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
not my case, and actually we must talk before what an uniform can be.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
black jeans black t shirt, boots or flats, contemporary jewelry, mascara
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Never wished to be a man despite in some bathrooms. I never wanted to dress like a man and I do not think it's interesting. But I loved Courtney Love's photo shoot back in the 90's for Versace man underwear.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Not sure. Around 1900, like Katherine Mansfield, or in the 50's like Clarice Lispector.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I like myself but I don't like I feel I have to smile.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
I listed some in the older questions. I can add Frida Kahlo, Emily Dickinson, Camilla Skovgaard, Coco Chanel, Elsa Schiaparelli, Diane Pernet, Phoebe Philo, my mother, my father...
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
yes! I had a great dream about me my mother and sister in a forest, the wind was blowing but we were anchored to the earth by our big blowing colored clothes. Sort of a Melancholia situation (which I did not see at that time)
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
To be dressed pretending instead to be naked.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
short but cosy dresses
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
to attract who I admire and who I dislike
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Work to be self confident, not aggressive and fight for work, not for men. Fight to create a sorority.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Perfume is an important thing in my life. It always did. I always wear it. I allow changes but still Pleasure by estee lauder is the best.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Never use two different tones of black.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
it fits because it helps to feel better by looking better
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
yes the hipster one. I am not interested because it seems like a masquerade where everyone looks the same. a hell!
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I own black dressed, color block dresses, floral pattern dresses and a lot of contemporary jewels (not much gold but silver, bronze)
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My ancient cammeo ring my mother gave me
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A Marni for H&M dress. Beautiful but leaves the back too naked, I still have to figure it out.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
yes, things with a remarkable label
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A jacket a friend of mine gave me and that was owned by his mother. I had to get rid of it but I still feel guilty.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My Armani leather jacket.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
do not buy fancy dresses you will never wear them
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
a coat by max mara, yes I do have it and I do love it
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
when I started to buy clothes and not feel guilty
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
the perfect coat
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I don't have much space but I do my best. Everything is hanged!
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my cammeo ring my mother gave me or a little notre dame pendant in gold my father gave me
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
yes a faux leather and cotton jacket that became my second skin
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I like sale season, who doesn't?!?!?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Smell of cleanliness reached by the right products.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
it's very important. it's vital if you have ambitons
80. How does money fit into all this?
You need them but when you don't have them you can end up in having great ideas. I think as a nightmare to dress like a fashion blogger, really.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
My faux leather and cotton jacket, my rings, my RMS concealer and luminizer (this sound like a fashion blogger reply...)
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Yes, when some people copy me. I started feel "watched"
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
September 24th, 1982, in Como (Italy)
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
MA in Visual Arts, italian, raised in Venice, Italy, economic background: middle class family
What kind of work do you do?
teaching visual arts at the university, seeking for a gallery, artistic director of my sister's contemporary jewelry gallery
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I have a boyfriend since 8 years
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
fashion seen by an italian artist in residence in the U.S.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?