Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When all details are in place.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. When everything goes together in a seamless and comfortable kind of way, from their eyeglasses to their shoes.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire well manicured nails and applied lipstick, probably because I find it hard to remember to pay attention to these things consistently.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Its fun to mix up prints and it works.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I am not into wearing painful but beautiful shoes (I don't wear high heels without a platform), except when they need to be broken in first.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Connect with one thing you are wearing the most.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I like every conversation to be on some level transformative.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes, I follow strategic patterns of order I have developed over time and try and maintain balanced and consistent routines in general.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
My mother used to tend to buy things in multiples for me, so for some reason i don't really do this. Although if there is a tank top i like, i will buy it in several in different colors. A tank top can always come in handy.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave my friend a necklace with a bullet as a charm, and inside the bullet is a yellow lipstick (not real lipstick, although that would be cool.) I wanted her feel like it was an amulet in dealing with shitty dudes.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I like tribal print pants, but i have not even tried on this trend, because i feel it will look extremely unflattering depending on the style and cut of the pants. also, it makes me think of hammer pants.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mom likes to wear blazers, i think i have picked that up from her.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My oldest best friend has an effortless prettiness about her in wearing a broken-in tshirt and jeans.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When i moved to LA from the midwest, i really began to evolve my style. i felt like i had more permission to be creative, and was confident about those creative choices.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I would say, that even if i think i am looking hot or sexy, i make a point never to walk in the way in which i am feeling; it attracts too much attention. I am not sure if that is political, but it is something i have always been hyper-careful about. not that it matters, even when i'm at the gym i feel like some guys think i am exhibiting suggestive behavior, which is both stupid and disgusting. i should probably rethink this concern, actually. great question.
16. Please describe your body.
hourglass shape, petite
17. Please describe your mind.
inquisitive, incisive, word-processor
18. Please describe your emotions.
usually at a pretty even keel. occasionally overcome with great buoyancy and/or fierce intensity.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
my hair is tousled, just got a haircut. its shoulder-length and layered, i had it very long and straight for a while. i am wearing a dress i got at a market in london, its one of my favorite dresses: blue and orange silk with pockets and half-moon print, fitted at the top and flares at the bottom. it has been hot in LA and its more comfortable to wear dresses right now. my shoes are turquoise and half-heels. rose-gold watch, gold necklace with blue stones and matching earrings. bracelet from mexico with gigantic blue stone.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
i find it amazingly important, even more so after taking this survey!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
8/14/1979 - Born in West Virginia and now live in LA
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
i am half-Indian and from a small rural town in southern Illinois.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I would say I have a complex relationship with clothes because of my bi-racial/cultural background
How do you feel after filling out this survey?