Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel most attractive.... When I have the time to take my time while getting ready.
During the work week I find that I don't have time to "primp" the way I used to when I was in high school or College. Living in San Francisco I find that when I take short cuts... it doesn't work out. For example if I try and style my hair before it is bone dry forget about it. If I curl it, it goes flat. If I straighten it, it curls. I find it is easier and I look better when I'm not fighting nature.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes I notice women on the street. I admire women who look put together and comfortable. I find that is my biggest struggle... being comfortable and looking good/fashionable. Often I find myself making a choice between if I want to look or feel amazing.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who look care free and don't seem to be bothered by what other people think. I admire women who have good posture... This is something I wish I could improve upon.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I shop for fabric type... a lesson I learnt from my mother in law. Buying natural fabrics when ever possible is a must for me, if cared for properly they will last and feel good against your skin for much longer than synthetic garments.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I dress in layers, as I live in San Francisco. If it is warm out, I always through a light sweater in my purse.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Once a women that I worked with told me that she felt I was parting my hair on the wrong side. She explained how everyone has a full side and a flat side to their face. She advised that you should part your hair so that the full side is exposed and that the hair falls to the flat side. This way the hair balances out the proportions of your face. I'd like to add that she did this is a loving and nurturing way so I really appreciated the advice. I don't currently part my hair as I don't have bangs... but this conversation from over 6 years ago has changed the way I would part my hair.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I just got back from a vacation where I had lots of time to reflect. I think that what unifies the way that i approach my life, is that I am critical about myself, the way I look, and always thinking about the future... I always want more and to be better. I'm working on being more content with what I have and where I am and focusing more on being in the present.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jackets. Leather jackets. I love jackets.
I would say that I have 15+ jackets and that 6 of them are leather jackets. I find that I wear jackets so frequently and that the weather varies enough that i need different styles of jackets. I walk to work so having different weight jackets is important.
Also I love dresses. and specifically I have many LBD, some are the sexy going out variety and others are the basic work variety. Dress are something I keep buying and shopping for.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I make jewelry as a hobby. I enjoy making custom jewelry for my friends and family for special occasions such as birthday or christmas presents. I love seeing the look on my girlfriend or mom's face when they just LOVE something I made for them. I know I've nailed it when I see them where the piece often... I am really touched to be able to share this with the women in my life. Giving a handmade jewelry item to someone is intimate... it shows how I pay attention to the colors and styles they like...
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I feel silly in them. I also don't really get the concept of wearing slippers as shoes. They start to look gross when you wear them regularly outside... and I rarely look at a woman wearing them and think... "i really need a pair of uggs"
I was going on a business trip and knew the weather would be snowy/rainy/cold and I went to the ugg store trying to find a pair for the trip and just couldn't bring myself to buy a pair. They were too clunky and just didn't look right with my clothes... and i wasn't going to change the way I dress for Uggs.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Mother's and Grandmother's Jewelry.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Moving to San Francisco... I wear layers and now have lots of jackets.
16. Please describe your body.
Long brown hair
I'm a curvy thin girl. I have a booty from walking up steep hills.
I have narrow shoulders and tiny ears.
17. Please describe your mind.
I'm have a dialogue of self criticism that I am trying to shake. I'm trying to be kinder to myself and others with my thoughts. After a too long break I am focusing my efforts on becoming more inspired... reading more, taking on new hobbies and becoming a better listener. I am trying to encourage myself to be brave and follow my passions... my focus is to not let fear drive or slow me down.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I am a caring and empathetic person. I want to help people and sometimes involve myself when I shouldn't.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a comfy cornflower blue dress that has patch pockets on the front, ties at the waist and has floral embroidery at the shoulders.
I am wearing my wedding band, 2 bangle bracelets (all sentimental) and a diamond curved bar necklace my husband gave me for our 5 year anniversary.
I have moisturizer and SPF 20 on my face, brown smudged eyeliner, and mascara on my eyes, and a touch of blush on my cheeks.
My hair is in a messy french braid.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
The jewelry is important to me.
1- a gift from my great aunt, she passed away and I had her name engraved inside.
2- a purchase on my recent vacation to kauai, it has a pearl on it that I roll around when I am anxious or bored.
I feel naked if I leave the house not wearing it. I remove it frequently to shower and do house work, So I always check to see if I have it on before I leave the house.
Has 5 tiny diamonds bezel set in a slight curve. My husband gave it to me as a gift for our 5 year wedding anniversary... I is delicate and feels very comfortable against my skin. It is substantial enough that I notice it when I look in the mirror. It was a thoughtful and beautiful gift and I feel graceful wearing it.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Tumblr and Pintrest
Most of my discussions with friends or coworkers about clothes revolve around compliments of each other or beauty bitching
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
designer items that just don't fit right
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I'm still figuring it out.
But I love my leather jackets... I feel calm and comfortable and cool when I wear one.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother shops for a bargain... she didn't care much about fashion or style while I was growing up. Once i hit college she started to care more about the way she dresses. She doesn't shop for name brand items, she likes mostly black tops with sparkle.
My mother in law taught me to shop for quality garments that are made from natural fibers for they will last longer and I'll feel more comfortable in them since they breathe and hang on my body nicer.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Still figuring it out.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Looking thin, sexy, confident, put together and classy.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Skinny Jeans cuffed to show a little ankle
Cross body purse