Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm at (or close to) my ideal weight, my clothes fit good and fall right, not showing any mid section bugles. The reflection in the mirror looks nice, lifting my confidence. I feel attractive.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, attractive cool hair do's, eclectic and/or stylish outfits, colors that flatter, shoes and other accessories.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like a well put together outfit, head to toe, whether it be for business, going out, casual day about town or just hanging out. The way a woman carries herself that says, 'I like who I am'.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
There was a point in college when I had an 'aha!' moment with my hair. Tossed the flat iron and stopped chemical processing. My mother was not happy when she saw me next break but I felt like I was finally expressing my creative me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't really have any shopping rules that I wouldn't share- I like finding good deals, quality and timeless style along with some of the latest fads.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I don't wear white after Labor Day or before Easter. Its my own little throwback quirk that I enjoy but would ask anyone else to do.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
The power of accessorizing. A top that may look so-so on can become 'wow' with something as simple as a strand of pearls.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I try for order and balance but because I like to shoot beyond the moon I'm sometimes a bit scattered.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I like skirts and I like wearing white (during its appropriate season, of course!) so I have multiple white shirts, tank tops, t's, and skirts. Some styles are similar, some actual duplicates. I keep buying them because the nature of white sometimes a food stain just won't come out!
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes, I've given clothing along with the perfect jewelry accessories. Some so cute I still hear about them.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Really short tight skirts, wrap blouses, high waist skirts, empire waist tops - don't think any of these styles flatter my body shape.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Except for the height difference, (she is 5'2" I am 5'7.5") my mother and I have very similar shape, short waist and narrow hips. My style is more casual/funky and not as conservative but we both enjoy earth tones.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
yes, from my older sister
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Right after I got married I started embracing more monochromatic color ensembles. I had recently moved to another state and felt like trying a different look.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I don't think so
16. Please describe your body.
Lean, short waist, long legs
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
up beat and positive, and sensitive
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Stripped grey and aqua t-shirt, mid thigh shorts, its evening so no makeup. hair is pony-ied up with a bandana- one of my favorite styles for the wknd.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Personality shows through style
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My sister and my husband.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Sometimes jobs have expectations .
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I believe I have taste and style. I'm often asked to help others work their wardrobe and have been told I should be a buyer.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Yes, it doesn't happen often so it sticks in my mind. Plus because I over paid, I keep it around hoping to be able to use it for anything else!
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Learned tricks to make my body appear long waisted
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I think so
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes, soft loose cotton is relaxing
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like in the area of fashion and have most of my life. I like to think I'm generally good at discernment - it comes from watching, listening, reading, paying attention and not being self absorbed.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Yes, both my parents are rather stylish, with an eye for well tailored, quality pieces. One of the lessons I remember is that not every trend is good for every body. If it doesn't work for my body type, I don't buy into it no matter how popular it is.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
short and sheer
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
someone who is relaxed in their own skin. They're not trying to be anything other than who they are. And they're ok if some others aren't keen on who they are.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Do you. Find your voice and express it thru your style.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Self confidence, but not arrogance
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Unkind, inconsiderate, bad attitudes.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I usually have one piece in mind and work the rest of my closet around it, often trying on several different pieces before finding that which expresses "the look" I had in my mind.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Different things at different times -- mostly to present an image that gives a glimpse of the different phases of me.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing is done daily. Dressing up includes fancy fabrics, blingy accessories, intense makeup and hair.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
skirt and top that would be different colors, blazer that I could add a pin or flower to.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me: bohemian skirts, flowy blouses or tank tops, cute khaki campy style skirts
Not me: leather pants, figure hugging sequence dresses, flower printed pants
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
When I was younger I wore much shorter shorts and skirts. Also wore more red. I do like doing phases in my wardrobe
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Choker style pearls, low heeled pumps, blazer
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I usually conform- its business casual which gives lots of wiggle room
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
If I had one I would find it constraining.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
My tan suede skirt. It's classy and very flattering.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
In the past I used to wish I could dress like a man simply because their styles didn't change as much so if I liked something it would be easy to find it season after season.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Era for fashion for me would be either the 1920s England or America or 1950s America
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Yes. and I've been told I am
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Sometimes I see cute, sometimes I think it might not have been my best angle
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Fitted leather jumpsuit.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
crop short sleeve angora sweater with a pencil skirt
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Not attract but I sometimes dress to repel men I work with.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Know your body, know what style cuts and colors are flattering on it.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I like it but don't wear it often.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Continue to work out.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Its another wonderful accessory.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Don't think so
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Clothing wise I own a lot of skirts and tops. Jewelry, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, toe rings, anklets.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
It changes with my moods and the seasons.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
There is a white blouse that I keep but never wear. I don't wear it because I've not found the 'perfect place' to sport it. I keep it because I know that place exists and that top will be perfect
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Boots, long, tall, short, low heeled...
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
I have NO idea! ... what a scary thought
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
I would only buy blazers where the sleeves were long enough.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Butter yellow linen skirt. Yes, still own it.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Don't think so.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect white one piece bathing suit.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Everything in its place and a place for everything.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Yes. Navy collarless double breasted blazer. Would still be wearing it had it not been dry cleaned to death.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Fresh like a clean smelling soap, also like light floral.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I dress in a way that expresses my artistic plus business self,
80. How does money fit into all this?
I have a budget that I stick to.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Wear make up daily- foundation, powder, lipstick
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Maybe, don't recall.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
No, I'm sure I was pretty young.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
July, born in the Midwest and live in the Bay Area now.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Enjoy being multicultural
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married with children
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It was fun ~