Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
In the evening, definitely. Dressed up, socializing.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, I always notice women on the street. Don't all women? Particularly notice confident women, usually nicely dressed. (This is a broad description since I generally like ALL styles, from business to goth to very casual.)
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Standing up straight. Not overly made up. Confidence.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Don't know why or when. I've been told I look better today than I did 5 years ago, yet I'm older. Fresh hair, fresh attitude?
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I buy cheap, unfortunately. Lots of thriftstores, Costco, Target. Means I'm getting a fairly classic look, but on the cheap.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I wear a lot of black...
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have a theory that we are always trying to find something from our youth that we loved. For me, it's a hip jacket that I got in NYC in 1970 when I was 14. It was made in England and it was totally "mod." Tight jacket, lots of buttons, with a slight skirt. I guess it would be called military peplum now. I'm always trying to get that late-60s look even today :-)
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. I shop very carefully for others.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Linen. I look like I slept in it, no matter how fresh or how starched.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother was quite fashionable in her day, and very quietly took pride in her appearance. I'm a little more flamboyant (as much as a 58-year-old can be flamboyant without looking like an idiot...).
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Sure! Mostly how to be comfortable but still look like I'm paying attention.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I was quite preppy in college (everyone was), but I left that look as soon as I settled in Philadelphia. I live near San Francisco now, I'm a Burner )'(, and my style has changed quite a bit.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I don't want to appear too straight or square, and I definitely don't want to seem "housewifey" (especially since I'm not)
16. Please describe your body.
I'm pretty thin. 5'4", 110 lbs. Everything kinda sunk down after 55.
17. Please describe your mind.
Sharp, liberal, empathetic.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Jeans, t-shirt, sandals, yesterday's makeup on my eyes, hair is a mess.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Born in 1956, near Philadelphia. Moved to Northern California in 1982.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
White, middle class
What kind of work do you do?
Graphic design firm owner (at home). Also work in restaurant as part time manager and bartender.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, 25 years in September. One child, a daughter, who's a sophomore in college.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
Still discovering my style, I think. I like edgy, but sometimes think I'm too old to sport a good look.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Sorry, I didn't finish the survey.