Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
After a good workout and a shower, dressed casually with minimal makeup.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Definitely. Women who stand out for some reason, or have a different or unique look. Maybe they have gorgeous hair or skin, or a striking bag or shoes, or they just look fit and perfect in their clothes.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
When they are beautiful but unique and different. I like when seeing something another woman does makes me want to try something new I've never done before.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Not specifically, I came to gradual realizations over time. I used to wear clothes that were too big for me in an effort to camouflage a large chest. I also did my hair in ways that weren't flattering, and it took me into my 30's to figure out what worked for me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't know that I have any real "rules" for me. I shop sales, and I follow my intuition, and those are I think good things for anyone to do.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I don't recommend anything to anyone, other than to figure out what works for you and do that.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I don't think I've ever experienced a transformative conversation on fashion or style
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I'm intuitive, if it feels good or right for me, I do it. That pretty much covers everything. It hasn't always been the best way to approach things. :-)
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans! I keep searching for the perfect pair. Also lots of shoes and bags. I don't think you can have too many, they make an outfit.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I've given my grandmother a great sweater that she wears all the time, also a nice purse. Also a watch for my husband that he also wears a lot. I consider it successful if they wear it frequently.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Most things that you only see on girls in their teens and 20's don't work for a 46 year old woman. I try to stay away from that stuff.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My body is SO much like my mother's and also her sisters. We are all such different weights and heights, yet we are all apple shapes, all bellies and boobs and skinny arms and legs. It's so awesome to have that kind of connection with family members that you sometimes don't see for so long. My mom's style has always been fairly conservative, so mine tends that way too, but I think I experiment and do different things more than she does.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Always. I'm always looking for new ideas and ways of putting things together. It's hard to be innovative on your own, so watching other people is great.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I got divorced I started looking at things differently, my perspective changed, and I think I started seeing more clearly what looked good on me and what didn't.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Not specifically, other than my Human Rights Campaign t-shirt! I'm a pretty left-leaning Californian, but I don't know that anyone would realize that from the way I dress.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm just under 5'8", about 145 lbs. I have smallish bones, small hands and feet, but broad shoulders and big boobs. I've been taking better care of my skin lately, it's looking a little better. My mouth turns down at the corners, which makes me look perpetually sad or pissed, which I hate.
17. Please describe your mind.
Curious! I love information, and always want to know the who what where when and why of everything. I read a LOT! I love to read and am happiest when in the middle of a good book. My husband says I'm nosy, but I think I just want to know what's going on with people.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Pretty calm, easy going, and accomodating. I cry easier the older I get. I'm easily content, mostly happy. But I'm a worry-wart, always have been, and imagine all sorts of catastrophes happening and then I get all stressed out.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Gray leggings, a tank top, and a loose fitting turquoise blouse over. My hair is long and loose and needs to be washed, but I'm lucky I have good thick hair that I don't have to fool with too much. Makeup is light - a BB cream, a little grey eye liner and mascara, and filled in eyebrows.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I think knowing ourselves, what we look good in and are comfortable with, gives us confidence. When we don't have to worry as much about our looks, when we can be comfortable, we can be freer to figure out what makes us happy and what we can do in life to make a difference somehow.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
A few girlfriends, but mostly my mom
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have good taste in that I'm usually drawn to the more expensive things, the things you can see are made very well, the items that will last and be worn for a long time. Style is the ability to put all kinds of things together in ways that are beautiful. I'm not sure if I have that or not. Maybe sometimes.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
High heels are always a good bet. With some heels I can be close to 6 feet tall. The boobs, although I really don't like them, can also be used as a tool to look sexy. My hair is good, long and thick, so that also helps if its freshly washed and blown dry. A little extra makeup helps too, but I have to be careful not to go overboard, there is a line, and too much makeup is not good for me.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Find what works for you and do that. Dress to please yourself first. Look for quality and well made clothes.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Simplicity. Nature. Sunsets, turning leaves, a simple tulip.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Selfishness, narrow-mindedness. Not caring about how others feel and think.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I've never had that wish.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
I'm so NOT photogenic. I'll think I look pretty good and then someone will take a picture of me and I look awful. Even my husband, who will say I look good or pretty or whatever, says that I don't look near as good in pictures.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I have a huge nose. It's not good.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I like it, and I wear it when I'm dressing up or going out. Just a spritz though, not too much.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Born in St. Louis, MO, live in Palo Alto, CA now
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Middle-class, white, American. german/english/irish/spanish, etc.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, one son, one step son