Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I wear nice shoes and my hair is done.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes I do, a lot. I tend to notice and admire women that look secure and comfortable with themselves.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
The way they move and control their bodys.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I discovered the total black look I realised it made me feel classy, smart and even powerful. In my case, the total black makes me forget I have a body and allows me to focus on other assets of myself I feel more comfortable with. The only way my body flows is when I´m not aware of it.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I only buy clothes in shops where I can return the purchase, which I do a lot.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Being discreet. In fact I tend to like it when people are not.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I cannot think of any.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Generally I approach most of things from control and prevision, and that makes me feel vulnerable because obiously it is not always possible to anticipate everything.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
V-neck t shirts and sweaters in black, grey and different shades of brown. Navy blue pants. Scarves and shawls in a range of neutral colors.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Yes, there are many. Just because I don´t like it or because I consider it doesn´t suit me.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I don´t think my mother´s style has been passed down to me at all.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes, I think my adoration for scarves comes from a French girl I met when I was an Erasmus student at 21. I thought they made her look very classy.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I was 30 I lost 20 kilos after a diet. I looked fantastic and a completely different person, but I was lost because I didn´t know what to wear. It may sound weird but it took me a while and a lot of effort to learn I dodn´t have to wear big clothes anymore.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I know most of people think I am a traditional and even conservative woman when they first meet me because of the way I look, but that´s completey wrong. In fact there is a rebel inside of me although I am aware that´s not the message I´m sending out at all. So I could say the way I dress is providing misleading political information.
16. Please describe your body.
Big, well proportioned. My wais is not very defined although I´m working on that. Robust, but I wouldn´t say I´m fat.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is always working full capacity, but rarely focused on the present. I like free thinking out of the limiting effects of convention and authority, but I submit to that all the time.
18. Please describe your emotions.
There´s always a big fight taking place inside of my heart.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Navy blue pinstriped pants, beige shirt and jacket, beige suede flat shoes.
I´m wearing little light make up, my hair is semi long, brushed straight and partially tied up.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is very important, it´s part of anyone´s identity.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
A few friends, not many, just two or three girls.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I couldn´t develop my own style when I was a young girl because I had to wear a school uniform (the same uniform) since I was 4 until I was 16. The way I dress now reminds me of my school uniform quite often. In some way that makes me feel secure. So institutions do affect the way I dress.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I quite have both. I think both are important although maybe style is more important.
To me, taste has a more specific value: something is nice or not. Style comprises a lot more: an attitud, a certain way.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought a very good wool coat. It was in a sale so it was not so expensive after all, around 300 euros. That was 10 years ago and I still use that coat.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I think we all do. You don´t wear a cropped top to a job interview, and you don´t wear a suit to a disco.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I think I do.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I do that every day I think.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like in the area fashion, although I´m open to discover things. I think I also know what I like in other areas. My discernment comes from experience and maturity.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Not really. I just picked things up.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
My hair must be always clean, otherwise I don´t even put a foot out of my doorstep.