Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when i have a complete "outfit" including shoes and accessories that work together. Doesn't need to be fancy - can even be high tops and a leather bomber.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes...i notice crisp, clean and funky women!
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Nice nails! I have horrible hands (always doing work with them) and though I somewhat secretly am annoyed by this (they don't have to DO anything), I also simultaneously appreciate a nice manicure.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I have short hair for the second time in my life and this time around it's obvious I'm meant to have short hair. Having a short cut kind of defines my style without doing any work!
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I will shop at cheap stores for basics. That's pretty common. Otherwise, ?
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Recently I've been asking friends what they think their style is. Each of them pegged what I would think of them from my side...but we all realized that being a parent, you hardly ever actually project what you yourself feel you want to. Even if others may see you that way!
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes. I am a minimalist. I try to keep less things, better quality. In everything.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Not really. Closest I would come is Alexander Wang t-shirts, which I really can't afford, but I have 3 of them. They are amazingly soft and basic but with a twist.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. Well, I'm a jewelry designer and often surprise my friends with pieces I think they will like. People love getting gifts.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Lots! I loathe Uggs, as an example. THey are ridiculous!
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I look alot like my mom. She always looks nice and put together, but as a kid even I had a rebellious attitude when it came to clothing. I'm somewhat of a tomboy and don't at all like feminine things. I now also see that my mom, who loves to shop, has a very varied wardrobe where I prefer to have fewer things that are better quality. I have kind of a formula of what i think works for me and stick generally within that framework.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes! My friend Alison has similar style sensibility. Also, I am always in NYC and see people with amazing street style ideas that I will use!
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
not really, except in the sense that I am unable to afford really expensive clothing. OFten, when there's a spread that says something like "15 boots you'll love" I like the one that is $700...which is not affordable to me.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm 5'4 and about 125 lbs. Average height, weight, etc. OFten I don't feel as skinny as i want - not self conscious, mostly about fitting into or looking good int he clothes that I feel represent my style.
17. Please describe your mind.
Ikes! I'm level headed, smart, definitely Type A, super curious and never accept anything at face value.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Generally pretty even but am often disappointed in other people.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I wear little to no makeup except moisturizer and basic creme foundation. Wearing cuffed jeans, wedge booties and an oversize 3/4 sleeve top. Even though I usually wear my own jewelry, today I'm wearing a mala necklace I got on a retreat because I'm feeling shitty due to lack of sleep last night (sick child).
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I'll let you guys work that one out :)
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have both. Sometimes, my style doesn't catch up with my taste level...I can spot and like nice things, but often am unable to afford and since i have my own business and a family, I don't have time to shop around for alternatives.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I have a store in my hometown that carries amazing pieces that are unique. I add in one or two of these periodically to make the rest of my wardrobe sing. I think a good coat is critical!
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I do believe so.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I think it's internal but I guess you could argue that it's an amalgam of experiences we've had in our lives. I've traveled alot around the world and since I'm a designer, I have a heightened awareness of color, proportion, scale, etc. Maybe it's learned?
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Ugh. I recently added red lipstick to my repertoire! I actually don't think of myself as sexy, but more edgy.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Clean lines, silhouettes to enhance your body shape, accessories that reflect your uniqueness
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
confidence is beautiful
34. What do you consider very ugly?
People simply following trends.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Generally, though there is the occassional purchase out side my normal realm that I tell myself I will wear, but don't.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Weather is usually #1 and if I'm, for instance, going to be in NYC I make sure I wear the right shoes! I am always walking alot and HATE to be teetering around.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Polished, put together look that reflects me .
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
black or other skinny jeans, high tops or brogues and an oversize shirt
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Born in NJ, lived in various cities and now back in NJ
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
pretty much middle class white girl, but had an Italian American upbringing.
What kind of work do you do?
I am a designer
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married. 2 kids
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I'm always curious about how women "classify" themselves. What is your style? I think we think of ourselves one way and then