Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm wearing something stylish, have make up on and hair done (which is very rare these days with a 1 year old and another one on the way)
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I do. I notice those that just look effortlessly cool and chic and always wish I could pull it off
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
How confident and sure they are about themselves without being pretentious
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I've always loved creating outfits ever since primary school. I was had an independent style then but as I hit high school I felt the pressure to conform to what was 'in'. It was 16 when I "clicked" and thought I had some pretty cool style and didn't need to follow the 'in' crowd. I looked and felt try-hard when I did but felt confident and relaxed in my own style
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Don't buy too many 'fad' items. One or even two to add to some pieces that stand the test of time are fine but filling your wardrobe with them is a big mistake
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Keep it simple and add an interesting accessory/pop of colour (hat or scarf or handbag)
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I don't know??
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Unified? No. I approach chores with a 'get it done now and get it done quick' philosophy. Life and relationships need time and to be nurtured and enjoyed. Work and finances are something I have to deal with but don't put too much emphasis on them
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Can I be honest? Tights *cringe* Since I got pregnant with my son I have lived in them. Comfortable and affordable and of course all in black. With long tunics or t-shirts of course. I never wear them as pants!
Also chucks. I used to have them in all heights and colours but now keep it to a nice (always clean and fresh) white sneaker and a black leather sneaker. Ageless and comfortable
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes! Just recently I gave my sister some Karen Walker earrings for her birthday - I knew she would love them and it made me feel very good.
She loves my clothes so often gets my hand-me-downs which she loves and often waits patiently for pieces she has had her eye on for a while
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Midriff tops - I don't have the body for them and high waisted anything - I just don't think they are flattering
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My Grandad used to call my mum long legs when she was a girl and when I was about 12 he started calling me long legs.
I don't think I have inherited her style though. She looks to me for advice these days
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes - motorcycle t-shirts with ripped jeans from my friend. Her uncle gave her some really cool authentic retro t-shirts and I was always jealous but borrowed them a few times until I managed to find one in a second hand store
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
High school. Stopped following the crowd and rocked my own style.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
At the moment, 5 months pregnant.
Usually, tall and athletic build (size 10)
17. Please describe your mind.
Open, honest and caring
18. Please describe your emotions.
At the moment - cry at everything (pregnancy hormones).
Usually - caring and empathic
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Body - stretch mark cream, long sleeve white with black stripes dress with black tights and black ugg boots.
Face - moisturiser and glasses
Hair - messy bun
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I think looking good on the outside makes you feel good. I know I feel better when I look good on the outside. When I can look in the mirror and smile and think 'yip - not bad'.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Husband, oldest sister, mum and girlfriends
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Not at all
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Hmm good question. I think I have style.
To me style is something you express with the way you dress.
Taste is what someone likes or dislikes.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Yes a faux fur vest. Wrong fit, wrong colour...just wrong!!
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Not really - other than getting away with not washing or doing your hair by wearing a hat!
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I've always said that when we buy our house I want to decorate it. New furniture etc. - I think I have style in that regard
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I remember a few times 'hiding' in a nice big coat. It definitely made me feel way more calm and secure.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I would say so, yes. I think I have good judgement in clothing and certainly in other areas of my life. I do often look to my husband for reassurance in the big decisions but generally I think I have good judgement. It definitely comes from my mum (and maybe a little from my dad).
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mum taught me how to sew buttons back on, darn socks and hand sew mini repairs.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Make up and clean straight hair.
Clothes without cat hair and kid mess (food, snot etc.) is also good
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable is owning what your wearing. Not feeling like you are trying to hard which makes you seem confident. I know what it's like to leave the house in something you are unsure of and feel very uncomfortable and way less confident
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Again, keep it simple. Accessorise for a pop of colour or to add a 'statement piece'
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
In a person or clothes?
In a person someone who is genuine.
Clothes, something that is well made - not mass produced
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Fake people. And crocs.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I am now. I used to have disposable income and would buy things for the sake of buying things and never wear them. These days I have to be more sensible about my purchases
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
That's a hard one! What are they like? I think judgemental, style icon...a celebrity!! haha
I am pretty harsh and judgemental when I'm looking in the mirror before going out
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
During the week - where are some clean tights? Where is a clean long top/dress to go over top.
During the weekend - where are we going today? Dress appropriately
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Firstly to feel good and confident to therefore (hopefully) look good.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing is putting clothes on. Any clothes. Dressing up is making an effort and looking good
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Black top, black pants. Black, black, black
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I am simple.
Things that are not simple are not me.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Country kiwi girl meets the big city. I don't think it influences how I dress, I think it has made me grow and evolve in how I dress
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
Before my husband I dressed in heels, dresses, make up, hair done. My look became more casual when I started seeing my husband and then within a few months we were married and expecting a child. I felt like I didn't need to try as much - but without letting myself go. If that makes sense...
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I work from home part time so don't need to feel professional these days.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
I used to find it comforting when I had to wear a uniform. Everyone was dressed the same and I could wake up in the morning and not think about what to wear.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans with a loose fitting top. Ageless and effortless
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
No - never
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
We have been watching old school mafia movies lately and I commented on how well put together the women always were. It would be kind of cool to live during that time (minus the drama)
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
No. Well...only with makeup on
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Mostly - ugh. Delete!!
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Nicole Richie, Olivia Palermo
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Yes, quite a few. Once I dreamt I had a Louis Vuitton hand bag - the dream felt sooo real. I woke up thinking I actually had one, then reality hit and it hurt.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Probably the same but I would look better in it!
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Don't try too hard. Don't be someone else - be yourself.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Yes, always. Love it
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Get the roller on my clothes to get rid of cat hair
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I only wear mascara these days. Unless I have a birthday dinner or a night out then I will do full make up.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Not really...maybe more of a 'mum' look? Sports tights, puffa vests and new Nike sneakers?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
A bit of everything
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My cape coat
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A dress I bought as my wedding dress but never wore. I will never wear it but its sooo pretty (and I've seen it on celebrities)!
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
High quality/designer buys
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A long black dress. I actually gave it to my sister and a little while later I asked if she still had it and she said I could have it back only to realise that she had given it to the Salvation Army clothing collection.
I have never found a dress like that again :(
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
A short layered black lace top that I got from a boutique in Melbourne. All my other stuff I could easily get again - this is a one off.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Not waste my time/money on pieces that won't last. Invest in some really good, timeless pieces
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Probably a pair of Tony Bianco shoes. I stopped wearing heels so gave them to charity
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
My wedding dress
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A pair of jeans that fit nicely!!
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
A mess. Not enough room, cant be bothered putting things back tidy
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Just recently a ring from my best friend. Made by a NZ musician and came with a 'story'. It is beautiful
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
My cape coat. Saw it online, second hand. Bought it because it was cheap and it has stayed one of my favourite pieces ever since.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
When I have a need or money
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I guess I dress casually so I can be a carefree mum and not worry about ruining my clothes
80. How does money fit into all this?
Need money to buy clothes!
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Sunglasses and seeing glasses. Can't live without either!
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Primary school I was teased about being big. Not fat - but tall and athletic when all the other kids were short and hadn't hit puberty. It hurt and has given me a love/hate relationship with my body and height.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
It was primary school. I would match my slouch socks with the coloured top I was wearing. I started a trend of over the knee socks with A line skirts (which no one followed which suited me fine). I don't remember how it made me feel though. I guess pretty cool..
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
25th September 1984. Born in Cambridge, NZ and live in Waitakere, Auckland now.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I like being part Maori
What kind of work do you do?
Admin work from home
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married with a 1 year old son and one on the way
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I am your every day women
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
A lost soul who felt they needed to impress everyone until one day I met someone who made me feel like I was the world and never had to be anyone I wasn't because who I was, was their soul mate.