Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Wearing new clothes, or dressed to go out for an event .
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes I notice women with interesting faces. Can be any age, wearing any clothes but I to notice chic women who make an effort and look content whether in casual, relaxed or dressy clothes.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Clean tidy hair, can be mussed (we live at the beach so sailors and swimmers) but women with presence, not over cluttered but comfortable in their own skins.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes, I am overwieght and look better in semi tailored clothes and emphasis on my waist. Nothing baggy or too soft. Still dye my hair and it's now shorter tho I don't like the mannish look.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Semi tailored, cotton where possible
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
No linen- I always look like I've had a really good time somewhere else as I'm creased and crumpled.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
A friend said she decided to stick to three main colours and the same shape of dress, trousers and top.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I usually shop once or twice a year and prepared to spend on good items but also buy cheap t shirts and cotton 3/4 pants to throw away at end of season.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
3/4 sleeve cotton T shirts as it's sub tropical here and they look casual or smart everywhere.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Pearls to my sister and pashminas regularly to my daughters.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Mini skirts, platform shoes - I'm tall and plump.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Yes - and to one of my daughters. Tall, overweight, casual style. Scrub up when needed but casual and relaxed the rest of the time.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Over fifty - comfortable being me.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Casual and comfortable.
16. Please describe your body.
Tall, cocacola bottle / cello shape. Running to wobbly fat.
17. Please describe your mind.
About to have the year when I turn sixty. I'm me, fairly fit, content still a few goals to achieve but no need to rule or change the world. You be you and I'll be me.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Miss family- sisters and daughters all away- most in different hemispheres. But salutary in my outlook; as long as they are well I'll get on but few regrets lots to look forward to.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
No makeup, sunscreen moisturiser. Hair needs washed and finger dried- trim and root touch up this week. Casual cotton clothes as housework and gardening today.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
If I go out I will wear makeup- foundation with sunblock, mascara, blusher and lipstick. Do hair and change into smarter tho casual, and wear my watch, earrings, necklace, bracelet and rings- my everday things. Habit and familiar rather than status.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I wear what I like- stylish but not over so on a daily basis. Yes for formal.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
2 suits made in Thailand - didn't fit properly- jacket had inside pockets!
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
, 1955. Scotland, now New Zealand
What kind of work do you do?
semi retired. Was a midwife then financial planner.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, adult children.