Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
After swimming in the lake or getting too much sun.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Of course. I notice the women that I wish I was. That sounds self-destructive but I really mean it as a compliment... I would notice myself I think. Women that can portray their confidence even in comfortable clothing.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
How true to themselves they can be, withstanding trends. The same goes for artists and their craft- how they can find their own specific voice without getting too involved in what's in fashion at the moment. It can be hard to find that balance.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
In the middle of high school I realized that makeup was not important. It took too much time out of my life and I never felt truly like myself wearing it. It really did just "click!" It was a great moment! I think it happened then because I was learning quite rapidly the importance of being myself as there was no point in being someone else to attract someone, I wouldn't like that person anyway.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Sisters are for stealing clothes.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Jeans can be washed once a season.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I went to Miami and a stranger came up to me in a bar and said, "you are so plain. Don't ever change. I just love your look." I wasn't wearing makeup and I was in jean shorts and a white teeshirt. It was sweet I thought! My friends got slightly defensive on my behalf but I still think how nice it is to be plain.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
No. I'm afraid I am still experimenting.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Plain white tees from H&M - I buy many because they are so cheap and fade. I wear them in quickly somehow.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Oh yes! I love holidays & birthdays as it gives me the chance to dress my boyfriend.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Dark lipstick. I just can't. I think hardly anyone can. I don't like to say that about any look, but something about dark lipstick gives me the creeps...
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I love my mother's style when she was my age and I wish she kept something to pass on! It's really nice when I come home and she says, "oh wow, I used to wear a shirt just like that."
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
black leotard as a shirt, under jeans from my mother
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I moved to Korea to teach English for one year and for some reason gave up colour. My wardrobe ever since has been black, denim, grey (mostly grey), and a bit of light pink. I'm not sure I want to analyze this!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Not really. I do shop in the men's section a lot. I find their clothing extremely comforting and I don't see why not. I think it can come across as a cross-dressing political statement but really it shouldn't. It's a "why not?"
16. Please describe your body.
Tall ever since grade 10, 5'9".
Long hair, feet, and hands to match.
My grandfather's protruding ribs.
My mother's little pot belly.
A long hated flat pancake bum that I might come to terms with if I knew where it came from.
17. Please describe your mind.
Ever changing but skillfully calm.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Incredibly controllable. Weak times include one specific day a month, animal rescue stories, other people crying.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm at work (sh!) and wearing my black booties from SoftMoc that are totally winter durable, black stockings, a short grey tartan skirt that starts at the tiniest part of my waist, and a white tee shirt, tucked in. My hair is down and air dried from a shower last night, smells like "aloe and mint" but really smells like nondescript soap. On my face I have cherry chapstick.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's a little important. I've put in just enough effort today to feel polished and accomplished. I've put in just little enough effort today to feel like I've escaped the pull of time consumption of unimportant, frivolous acts. I feel good! That's the important part.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
A couple coworkers, girl friends, my mother ... but that's reaching. Clothes don't come up too often in conversation.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I hope that they don't.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Everybody has taste and style. To say that you don't, well, that's a specific taste and style, no?
I never think that mine is that defined but then I look around my room, my closet and realize it really is. It's meaningful in the sense that it is my identity; something that I'm trying to define in my late 20's.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Everything I bought from Le Chateau in grade 7 & 8! So expensive and I was so over it quickly!
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Plain white tees tucked into fancy skirts with nice shoes! It's pretty sneaky and stylish I think.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes. Pulling my hair back into a bun always helps me deal with messy situations. Maybe it's a remnant of thinking I'm about to get my hands dirty.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like in fashion to a degree. I'm quite safe with what I like. Sometimes I have to try on the flashy piece in a shop to realize I like it. I think the same goes for other areas in my life. I'm a try it once kind of person.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Not at all. It was a slow learning process! It's great to feel I've got a hold on it now.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I go swimming or take a shower, it doesn't take much... this answer would be a lot different if I were single!
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
It means that they understand themselves and know EXACTLY how to make themselves happy. That is definitely admirable!
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Be true to yourself. When in doubt, be simple and comfortable.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Bad vibes, self absorption
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I'm getting better at it! Overall, no I'm horrible. It's a goal of mine.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
How long my day will be.
If I'll be running around.
Boring but true!
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I've gone through many phases and it's interesting to think that I'm happiest right now, the most self-aware.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Fresh clothing! I wish I could afford dry-cleaning. Many tights + skirts combos. Thankfully my work doesn't require me to look professional everyday. Some days I'm behind a lab coat and it's quite refreshing.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Super comforting but if I had to do so everyday, I can see how it would become constraining.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans with holes in the knees, white tee, grey sweater, moccasins. If only I knew why this outfit made me so comfortable in my own skin and happy.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Totally! What fun!
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
You are a photographer, Dumby! Don't be shy, pose!
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
My boyfriend gave me a gold necklace with a little heart that was engraved with some pretty graphic R. Kelly lyrics. Touched! He actually knows me so well!
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
This happens constantly when I shop at second-hand shops. It's easy to give a $2 top no thought until you are wishing you could wear it everyday.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Lately out of necessity only. I can online window shop for a little bit before getting bumed out about money.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
More than I realize when getting dressed.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I wish it didn't at all.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Compliments do this every time.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I was not wearing my pink overall dress with a sewn on ice cream cone, several scoops of flavours making their way up to my neck from my belly button.
It was upsetting because my mother took my siblings and I to a nearby hill to play so she could photograph us and I understood that in the photographs I wouldn't be wearing my ice cream cone on my belly. That is how I wanted to be portrayed in the photograph! So, so very upsetting for a little four-year-old.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
b. Ottawa, Ontario
living in Toronto, Ontario
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'm such a mutt that I feel like a poser when speaking of any cultural/ethnic influences. I'm not quite middle class but working on it. I hate economic categories.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I'm single technically ... really, common-law I guess. No kids.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I like to fill out introspective online quizzes online during my lunch break at work :)
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Much more mundane than before I started! My answers are always so simple and understated. I'm starting to wonder if taking more risks fashion-wise would be a fun experiment for me. How would it change my personality?