Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am wearing something super feminine like a nice blouse and skirt on a dress
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I love seeing women who are wearing something different on something that is not considered "fashionable" but can still make it look good
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
When they have good posture and are walking confidently
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I happened my junior year I completely changed myself into someone more attractive. I originally did it so I could attract more attractive guys, but I gained more confidence in the process.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Do not try something on you know is not in your price range
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I don't know
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I learned that not all guys find a certain type of style on a girl atttractive
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes I make a schedule for everything. I am a full time student so school comes first but I plan other things around it.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Different types of boots because there comfortable and go with almost any type of clothing
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave someone a heart necklace and they seemed very happy
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
The super loose long pants with the different designs because they remind me of the 70s which makes me think of my parents. I think the fashions in the 70s were ridiculous and I do not want them to come back.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I love 90s fashion and my mom gave me a black purse that had gold chains that she got when she was young during the grudge days, and I love that purse and carry it with me everywhere.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes I use my mom's shoes all the time
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
It was in junior year of high school. I was tired of people laughing at me and I wanted to start on a clean slate.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I have to dress appropriately because I want to appear professional to my professors.
16. Please describe your body.
I am really short and skinny, but my boobs are big for the body type I have. My butt is flat but I think I have great legs.
17. Please describe your mind.
Anything that deals with medicine and body mechanics is interesting to me
18. Please describe your emotions.
I do not show my emotions around others because I think people who do that are weak. I usually show sadness or anger when I am alone.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
My hair is down and wavy. I am wearing my pajamas which is a printed long sleeve and gray sweat pants.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I just feel comfortable in it
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My friends and family
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
When I am visiting my aunts and uncles my mom makes me dress differently because they are so old fashioned
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have taste. I think taste is more important because style to me is just following what everyone else is doing, but taste is your own individual fashion.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I spent $40 on a pair of shoes only to have them rip in a week.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I cut some jeans rolled them up to make high wasted shorts and most people don't know the difference.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I overheard a guy say I was attractive, but I was too nice to go out with. The next day I wore something super attractive and he couldn't take his eye off of me. I did that because I felt angry and I didn't know how to react.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I say that I like clothing that emphasizes my legs because I think that is the best part of my body.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
They made me dress super modest, but I would say that my style is more sexy than there's when I went to college as a form of rebellion.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Bright pink lipstick, heels, and a tight dress or short skirt
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I don't know I'm pretty shy and not a very confident person, but I wish I was
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
I wear what makes me feel good about myself
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Sometimes wearing more clothing can be more beautiful than someone who dresses trashy.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
girls who wear heavy makeup, slutty clothing and who generally try to hard to impress men
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I do not understand the question the way it is worded
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I look like an average girl who was average in high school and in life in general
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I put on many outfits and leave my room a mess until I find the perfect one
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
I want men to find me confident and attractive
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is wearing something nice like a skirt or a nice dress
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
I don't like uniforms because I don't want to look like everyone else I want to be my own person
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me would be any clothing that makes me look friendly and not me would be scary emo looking clothing
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am Middle Eastern so we were always taught to dress more modestly. My clothing changed when I went to college I would say that my clothing is more sexier than what my cousins would wear.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I dressed like a tomboy when I was younger because growing up all my friends were guys and they didn't care about how I dressed so I didn't either
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I love loose waves with my hair down, nice solid pencil skirt and a nice blouse
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I'm a full time student so I don't have a job
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Yes you can't express who you truly are
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
I plain t-shirt and some blue jeans, It's comfortable, cute, and never goes out of style
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Yeah I wished that in the past because it's so much easier for men dress themselves in the morning
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
1920s during the flapper days because I loved their intricate headpieces and the way their dresses shook when they danced
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
why do I always look awkward in pictures
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
No I get most of my inspiration from family or friends.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
I was at the mall and I got lost in a clothing store
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
strapless dresses because it makes my boobs look flat
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
strapless dresses and lots of strapless crop tops,
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
yes I am trying to attract a nice guy who is not a player
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Do not wear something if it makes you feel uncomfortable just because it is considered fashionable
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
not really I wear body spray because it is cheaper
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I like natural looking makeup and I only wear makeup sometimes
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I own some plain shirts and then some shirts with different detailed designs
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I have this cross necklace that I really love that is metal and love it because it was hand made by a man at my church
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have a poncho my mom got me from Peru. It's cute but it's made out of wool so it's super itchy and I still keep it as a souvenir
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
different colors of jeans because jeans generally go with everything and never go out of style
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I can't remember anything
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
my nice black jacket that zips up because it looks fancy and it came from Europe
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy more things that flattered my body better
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I bought a Michael Kors purse last year and I still use it
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
a cute vest that keeps me warm but looks sexy for a girl in her 20s to wear
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I have a hard time keeping my closet neat because I live in a dorm and the closets are really small
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
when my dad bought me a necklace with my name on it that was hand made in Egypt
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
no, I always choose carefully what I am going to buy
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I shop for clothes on the weekends when I don't have exams or long breaks
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I like strong fruity smells
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I want to dress professionally in class to earn the respect of my professors, but sexy when I'm having fun with my friends so that people find me attractive.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I am in college so I'm broke and I need to find clothes that is stylish but also cheep
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
my light blue forever 21 jeans
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
when I was little people always tell me how nerdy I looked
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I was my first day of 7th grade at my new school and I didn't have all my guy friends and I was surrounded by strangers so I remember when someone made fun of my pants and said they looked like pjs
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
12/28/1994; New York City, NY; at Campbell university in Buies Creek, NC
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I love all the different types food when you visit someone's house
What kind of work do you do?
no job, I'm a full time student
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I love how I wear what I like and how I don't depend on trying to find a man unlike some of my friends to make me happy
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
like I know more about my style
I like to sing, play the guitar and violin, write my own songs. I also like to cook and play basketball. I am Pre- Physical Therapy/ Athletic Training Major at Campbell University.