Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm all dressed up, in a very flattering dress that fits well, with heels, great makeup and my hair looks absolutely wonderful. I feel very sexy, confident.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Sometimes I notice. Especially if someone is very sloppily dressed, or very classy.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire someone who takes pride in their appearance, whatever that is for them. I admire a woman who exudes self-confidence, something I struggle for.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Could be. I couldn't pinpoint it, though. I think at some point I made the decision to dress according to what I like, not what the fashion industry told me was "correct".
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Can't think of any.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Don't know of any.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Haven't had it.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Whatever makes me feel good about myself.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I seem to have a good collection of cardigans, but always think I need more. I guess I can't find just the "perfect" do-all one.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. I've given my gorgeous daughter a couple of nice pieces for special birthdays. I think she still likes them.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Saw no purpose whatsoever in the grunge style, or ripped, torn jeans.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother heavily influenced my sense of style, since she has excellent taste, and continues to at age 92. She had 4 daughters, sewing many of our clothes. Almost all of our clothing was very stylish, and she insisted that when we went shopping, we look our best.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My daughter helps keep me current. She has excellent taste (having gotten that from me, of course), and knows exactly what looks best on me.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Don't think so.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Nope, not at all. Not sure what this question is asking, though.
16. Please describe your body.
On the lean side, not very curvy, but a little bit. Long legs.
17. Please describe your mind.
Mostly confused. Just kidding. I think I'm smart, have a good sense of humor, rational (for me).
18. Please describe your emotions.
I'm fairly emotional, tending to over-react. Mostly, I'm happy.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Wearing blue jean shorts and a white tank, with slippers. Hair is clean and curled. Nothing on my face, except lipstick, cause my lips tend to be dry.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Not at all important.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Sometimes my daughter. My partner has excellent taste, and sometimes he'll offer an opinion.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
When I was working, I dressed appropriately, conservatively, professionally.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have my taste than style. People tell me I dress very classically. I guess that's a style.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought a very fancy cocktail/evening dresss (don't remember the cost), and wore it exactly once. It was the right one for me, but at the moment, I thought so.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Mixing/matching new with thrift shops items.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
In my home, I like country, comfortable, soft, with floral accents.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Jammies and a robe tend to calm me when I feel insecure
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like in fashion. I think I have good taste.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mom taught me how to care for my clothes, not letting me wear my school clothes for play time, proper washing and ironing, appropriate accessories, etc. My dad taught me to be practical and comfortable, since we were on the farm and working outside.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
If I'm wearing something that fits me well, is appropriate for my age and body type, and the event, I feel good. Of course the hair must be "just so", which rarely happens with my wanna be curly hair (in some places). I feel I do a pretty good job with makeup, but would like to do better.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable and confident to me mean that someone is very self-assured in the way she dresses, opinions and ideas she has, and carefully considers others, but goes ahead with her own if she feels that is right for her.Dress
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Dress with basic colors and classic styling, with a dash of fun and flare. A spritz of color here and there. Great accent pieces.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
A well-toned body.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
I think everyone does the best they can, at any given time.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Sometimes. Usually. Every now and then, I flub up and it doesn't work for me.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
She looks fabulous. Very attractive.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I'm considering what I'll be doing that day. Working in the yard, grocery shopping, mall shopping, seeing friends, all determines what I'll wear and how I'll "do" myself up.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To look put together and appropriate.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up is wearing something special, for a date night, or special occasion. I wear clothing, usually a dress, that is reserved only for those occasions. It may have some bling, may be a nicer fabric
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Yuk. Perish the thought. BUT, if I HAD to - a classic A-line rosy pink dress, with a floral cardigan, or an A-line navy skirt, with a plaid or floral sweater or printed blouse in accent colors. Shoes would be 2" heels, wedges or flats.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
"Me" is generally jeans and flip-flops.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
German, Hungary, a small amount of french. Have no idea how all that influences my dress. or style
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
8/31/1948, The Dalles, Oregon, Hermiston, OR
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Very proud of my farming heritage.
What kind of work do you do?
DID - I'm a retired city recorder.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I have two wonderful adult children, and I'm in a committed relationship.