Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm having a good skin day, and when I'm dressed in a chic outfit (preferably parisienne chic!). Also, when I'm wearing high heels!
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Of course! I notice impeccably dressed women who exude confidence.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Attention to detail. You can tell when someone put effort into curating their outfit, but make it look just thrown together.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
At some point, I can't remember when, someone pointed out to me that I have the body type where absolutely everything looks good on me. It was all downhill from there! Also, I apparently have a "hat head"...I guess that explains why I have so many hats.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Getting sucked into online shopping. I find then when I go to a store I rule out a lot of items after trying them on, but tend to keep everything I order online. Also, don't go shopping alone. I do that too much. It's always good to run something by another person first. Especially when you're on the fence about an item.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
If you can't decide what to wear that day, just keep wearing that same outfit that you always put on every time you can't decide what to wear. Take 5 minutes before bed to think about what you'll wear tomorrow.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Probably a conversation about why we fashion blog with Joelle from La Petite Noob.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Absolutely not. I am extremely focused at work, and totally not at home.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Striped shirts and black jeans. The two on their own make a fantastic outfit! They are such staple, basic pieces that can form the foundation for any great outfit. I also own way too many lipsticks. They're my version of an accessory.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Jewelry and clothing are very hard to gift to someone else as they are personal. Jewelry especially. Unless someone has explicitly pointed something out, then I tend to avoid those gifts.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I'm pretty open to trying most trends. The crop top is something I've managed to stay away from for a long time...but I finally caved this season.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mum and I share the same shoe size, which has been dangerous for her as I'm constantly raiding her closet. When I first started to develop a sense of style (when I started working), I would borrow inspiration from my working mother. So I think she has helped shape my style. In a good way. Give us the same magazine and we'll probably fold the same pages over.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I think my grandmother is still one of my most influential style icons. I wouldn't say I've completely stolen a look/idea, but the general theme of chic and classy.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
It's hard to pinpoint an exact moment in time for this one, as I think it was gradual. Although I recall being in university wearing Lululemon leggings and a hoodie everyday...that seems so long ago now!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I don't think so, no.
16. Please describe your body.
Short and thin, with a tiny waist. Apparently anything looks good on me.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Extremes. Not in a manic, crazy way. But passionate? Yeah, let's go with that.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Black jeans and a grey, cashmere pullover. Flawless foundation and perfect brows, with a generous helping of mascara. I've got second day hair, so it's in a messy bun.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I think a sense of style can completely change a person's attitude. I know that an impeccable outfit can give me confidence. But mostly, I dress nicely for myself, and I wear what I want to wear, and not what others expect me too. I think one of the best compliments I've received is from a guy at work who doesn't really know me. He stopped me one day and said "I love your style. Your outfits always have just that one thing that makes them eclectic. I bet that's why everyone listens to you."