Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am rested, when I am happy, when my hair looks good.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Women who look well put together, but not in an over done way. Women who have attractive natural hairstyles and who look fit, dressed well and with interest, and who look comfortable with themselves.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Hairstyle (not afraid to be grey, to have short stylish hair), nice shoes, interesting clothes, simple, sophisticated. Confident.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Just recently I have taken more of an interest and feel more confident about what I wear, how I look. I think it has coincided with a time in my life when I have become more authentic in general.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I enjoy perusing Target for pieces of clothing that I find attractive and affordable. When it comes to shoes, I find paying the higher price for good shoes is important. I like the idea of thrift store and consignment shopping though I am not always good at it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Be comfortable. Jeans as a go to wardrobe piece. I like to wear attractive underwear. I like to have my shoes match my outfit in color, style.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
My girlfriend Peggy is a real shopper and very interested in clothes. While we do not share the same level of interest, she opened my eyes to more possibilities for my wardrobe, like wearing white pants in the summer!
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I am a Point A to Point B kind of person. I do not like to leave anything half finished. I enjoy the feeling of completion that comes from follow through and being thorough. I like things to add up, I am not comfortable with messy.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans. I like jeans, I feel comfortable in jeans. I've worn jeans all my life. It is what I know. Cotton t shirts, too. But lately I am feeling like going in another direction.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. I bought my husband a leather jacket and I think it is one of his best pieces. I want a leather jacket, too.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I don't want to be "trendy". I want to look like someone who thinks for herself. I don't wear super high heels because I don't feel safe in them. I also don't want to look like an older woman trying to look like she is still in her twenties.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother was overweight and not particularly happy with her body in her middle age. I feel pretty fortunate to still be slender at 62. Dorothy wore a lot of polyester, which I don't like to wear at all. She bought a lot of inexpensive clothing, her walk in closet was quite full. I am trying to have only pieces that I love to wear in my closet.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I am wearing more dresses, skirts and different colored pants thanks to my friend, Peggy.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Only in that I want to be seen as an individual, and also as a woman who is not ashamed of being older.
16. Please describe your body.
Petite, slender. Large bust, a waist that still exists. My bottom (and the rest of me) continues to head down to earth, but it is not too bad.
17. Please describe your mind.
Self conscious, busy, judgmental, discerning, open, flexible, practicing mindfulness.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Sensitive emotionally, happy, yet sad by the state of the world, practicing compassion for all beings, fearful, content as I age.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a loose sundress (the temps are going up), blue, black and white, blue suede sandals on my feet, foundation, blush, powder, eyebrows and eye makeup, lip balm, hair blown dry (working towards a long pixie cut).
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is important. It is what I present to the world each day and I want to feel I look my best every day. Looking my best helps give me confidence.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
June 7, 1053
Los Angeles, CA
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Upper middle class, white
What kind of work do you do?
Retired school teacher
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, with two grown daughters and a grown step son.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
For many years I always had lots of attention from the opposite sex. That began to change as I approached my sixties, maybe when I let my hair go grey.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?