Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I wear clothes that comforts my body. Not too tight, not too wide, somehow in a way perfect.
When I stand naked in front of the mirror on my own.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice taller women (as I am not that tall). I notice women with blond hair and more the scandinavian type as I am in a way the same. I notice and admire women that are totally different than me: other colour of the skin, other structure of the hair. I mostly notice women around my age.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
their charm (although I know I have some too and people react on that). Especially at women around their 40ties. Somehow they seem pleased and comfortable with themselves, their life, their body and what they are doing.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
No, I just tried myself out, first, by watching other people and what they wear. Than by checking what you can buy in stores and how it may look on me. Than by telling my mom I don't want to buy clothes anymore she chooses for me. And than somehow I found the things I liked and started wearing them. Still my taste changes and the things I wear change a bit.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I dunno, I just buy the things I want and I actually need. But some advices are: Never buy something the shop assistant loved on you but you weren't sure about! Think about if you really "need" what you buy and if you will still wear it in half a year.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I love colors and I match them the way it fits to me but maybe it won't be something for everyone. I love wearing eye-catching earrings but if you're not that kind of person maybe it is nothing for you. I never wear high heels 'cause it is just nothing for me but it looks good on others.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I don't remember. Maybe just with my mum as she said I somehow changed from dark colors to colors and now it seems right for me. But that was just something she noticed.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have one pair of shoes twice as I liked them a lot and I knew that they won't last forever. I already had to throw the first pair away so now I wear the second pair.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
If I buy something new I sort mu clothes out and give it to people I know, friends, family, families that don't have so much money. With this I make sure that I won't have to much and the clothes I don't wear anymore are worn by others and they are happy about it.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Jeggings. You look more dressed with a bikini than with this stupid kind of thing. Especially if girls or women just wear a short T-shirt to it, for me it looks totally stupid.
Hot Pants. I just don't have the legs to wear them.
Espadrilles. Somehow my feet don't look good in them.
Using gym back as a normal back. I looks cool but immediately you're branded as a hipster.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
She used to dress me when I was little so I kind of had no choice but to wear the things. Than I decided to wear the things I like and not the ones she likes. And somehow I changed her style with this as she wears totally different clothes nowadays that really fits to her and her figure than when I was younger.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
In schooltimes one girl had white eyeliner on. I thought it looks really cool and I did the same.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
In teenage times somehow I changed from blue and black to color. I guess it was just a normal development because I can't fix it to a certain point in my life.
After a break-up I wore more dark and simple colors than before but now I'm back to my colorful self again.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I guess I'm rather alternative/eco in a way. That suits to my lifestyle so in that way my clothing might be a bit alternative.
16. Please describe your body.
A bit under normal heigth. Normally shaped with arms, legs, hips etc. Very small breasts and a bit of belly just like a normal woman would have it and not a skinny XXS person would not have it. A bit strong upper legs due to a lot of sport. Nice hands and feet, a bit arty in a way. Long blond fine hair. Nice friendly face.
17. Please describe your mind.
arty in a way, chaotic, childish, attracted to colors/flowers/plants/water/nature. more strong than it needed to be, unselfish and helpful.
18. Please describe your emotions.
they range from the variety of being angry about something or something someone did to being sad about some circumstances in my life to being happy and lucky and just living in the moment.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
blue stuff as blue is my favorite color. pink socks, darkbue leggings, blue skirt with white butterflies on it, winered top, blue hoddie-jacket, flower earrings, glasses, red clock on my wrist, black bracelet with a green stone on the other wrist, white bra with flowers on it, white panties.
Hair is a like a snail in a black hairslide to hold it out of my face, very simple.
Make-Up almost non-existent, just a tiny bit of mascara.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is blue, my favorite color, it is nice to wear in summer, it doesn't keep me too warm. the hoodie I have since 7 years now, I suits me best. the skirt I got in Sweden, the earrings I bought online really cheap from a girl that didn't want to have it anymore. the bracelet I just got from my mum in vacation.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
If the subject come up: friends, family, people I met.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I can only buy what they offer.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
taste and style is in a way the same for me. Taste is what you like, maybe also on others but you don't need to buy it or have it. Style is in a way something that just comes with your personality because only then it's real. We live up the clothes we are wearing often without even knowing and that's the best because then it's real and other people see it's real.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I bought some clothes I just didn't needed or wear then. Maybe a skirt in Italy I still have and just don't wear because somehow it doesn't fit. It was 25€, for me that is already money, for other people maybe not.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Don't know how to answer this question exactly.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
When I'm nervous because of a presentation or some important events I always try to wear stuff in which I feel most comfortable and that is just me. Then I feel good.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like and I know what I like to wear. I don't know what's the newest fashion and I will never as I'm just not interested in it.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
black bra, nice underwear, nice dress, open hair, nice make-up (emphasis on the eyes)
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
As this would never happen this question isn't relevant to me.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
charm, naturalness, joy, honesty, vulnerability
34. What do you consider very ugly?
arrogance, artificiality, being mean, not being trustful, people wearing stuff that just doesn't fit their shape so they look really bad although they didn't need to.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
If I'm not sure, I don't buy it. If I like it and I don't have a similar or same one already and it's not to expensive and I know I will wear it at least a year I buy it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
beautiful little girl, shiny hair, charming, seems self-confident and about to know what she's doing, fun, maybe a bit reserved at one point.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I don't have a fixed process. I look at the clothes and the weather and then I decide if it should be pants with something or a skirt or even a dress.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
being comfortable, being able to ride a bike, feeling pretty, feeling myself
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing is you yourself. dressing up for me is in a way the same just with more elegant clothes and make-up and nice hair. But I'll still be me.
For some other people dressing up might be becoming another person.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
blue, a bit maritine, practical, puts the body into a nice shape
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
western civilized, grew up at the seaside. Therefore clothes practical for weather condition is needed and good. At the same time what you find in stores as being the new trend in western society formed my clothing too.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
nice day make-up with mascara, a bit of eyeliner, some light rouge, concealer etc. dark good pants and simple nice shoes. A blouse in blue or white. Hair back to a ponytail, simple small earrings.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
In just being who I am. Wearing a lot of colors, having flowers in my hair, wearing nice rings.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Constraining cause it makes you feel being part of something you might not even been asked to join. Or a certain image is connected to that uniform and when you wear it you have that image.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Pants, Top, light Sweater, Sneakers. Simple, easy, practical
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Of course it is interesting to be the other gender sometimes. Men don't have to shave the whole time and they can walk topless around in summer.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Africa perhaps, Mexico, Scandinavia
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
pretty, nice, sweet. Can I really use them for Facebook or do people might think I don't look good?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
60s is pretty cool, 20s and 30s as well.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Hop Pants, just a top or T-Shirt and High Heels
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Shorter Pants, with bare midriff
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Of course I hope that men see me as I am and think I'm attractive the way I am.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
putting on lotion and deodorant, washing clothes with a nice washing powder that it smells nice.
Doing a lot of sport.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
like it but not too much
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Don't have ONE favorite one. I really like the hoodie I'm wearing right now. I love a light-blue jeans-skirt I have. I like a dark-blue sweater with white hearts I have. I like a purple Hoodie I have.
I really like a silver ring I found at an exhibition. I like a lot of my colorful earrings.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
The skirt I bought in Italy. I bought it because it is made there and it is special for that kind of island. I don't wear it because I don't have a upper part that fits to it yet. Furthermore I don't really know if it fits to me.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
A coat for winter, boots for winter, some dresses, some skirts, one dark blue pants
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1991, Germany, Germany
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
were have a good economy, are kind of open-minded
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It is way too long for a filled in survey via computer. It should be shorter of you need to do skype Interviews with the people.