Read Surveys (By Author)
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
YES!!!!! Well dressed women, women who wear colours beautifully, women who have put effort into their outfit. I try to compliment them if I can. I really appreciate it. Especially older women who have obviously got their own style and stuck to it.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I love a bit of humour in an outfit. A silly but gorgeously worn hat, or some matching spotty socks. I also love women in bright lipstick. It looks so confident and glamorous. I once read an article about a fashion designer called Jaine and she said she loved a women with a purposeful walk. Or a strong walk. That really appealed to me. Walk with purpose!
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes, my mother who was, and still is a wearer of fancy headwear said, you need to wear clothes like you don't notice. You can't walk around like you know you have a giant turban on. you have to put it on and forget it.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Buy all the shoes! Especially high heeled ones that go with a catsuit.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Well ones that suit my body. I follow those vague rules but obviously I wouldn't recommend them to someone with a different body shape or style. I like high necks, no v necks or low scoops. I like skivvys or off the shoulder. Short short skirts or below the knee, not in between. I like hot pants and catsuits
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
High heels! I love heels. They have to be well made, and look good with a catsuit.
Wool jumpers and tops, I love wool. I have so many black wool tops.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I hate fashion trends. Those stupid jeans with holes cut in the knees. They kill me.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother's style has influenced my whole life! I think she's really stylish and I reference different looks of hers in my work as a fashion designer all the time. i love her.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes all the time. I love to see how people have put together a look. i love when they take on a character. I often borrow a look from someone and adapt it be my own.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When i started high school I tried to look really normal for a year or so. It didn't last. My mother refuses to forget it though. She was horrified.
16. Please describe your body.
I have long legs. I'm kinda like an insect
17. Please describe your mind.
Playful, bright, cutting, cheeky, unpredictable, active
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm wearing a Versace shirt someone gave to me. It's really bright and perfect for spring. A deep purple velvet pencil skirt, black tights and doc marten boots. I have big gold and black ornate plastic crucifix earrings on. My hair is in a bun right on the top of my head. My fringe is short and dyed pale pink. I have gold and silver and diamond rings my husband made on my fingers and my make up is bright orange red lipstick and black smudgy cat eyeliner.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Its very important to me. I love getting dressed. I love wearing a great outfit. Its not worth getting up and going out if I dont have something I love on. Also i think its a mark of respect for your fellow humans. i like to see people well dressed.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Lots! i mean thats the whole point of dressing isnt it? Tricks to flatter your body.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I hope so. Conversational style, style in the house, style in how you move, style in how you interact.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes I wear colors to perk myself up. Black to seem more sever. Suit jackets to appear and feel more business like. i always wear a suit jacket or a tailored jacket to the bank. I wear special jewellery on the plane as a talisman.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Yes! My mother told me red is really the only colour for nail polish. White shoes are tacky, pastel colours are for ice-cream salesmen. So funny! But I can't forget them.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Some times if I want to feel sexy I ll wear a silk wrap dress quite demure looking but with stockings and suspenders underneath. and High heels. I feel sexy in high heels. and with lots of smudgy eyeliner and red lipstick.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Its about how you interact with people. If you're uncomfortable you make others uncomfortable too. So if you're confident you interact with other people easily, then they feel at ease.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Don't take clothes too seriously. Have fun. Its ok if people laugh at you. Work with what you've got. If you have a big bum, go with it. Love your bum. Dress for it. Also dress up! Its always more fun for everyone to be overdressed.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Colour, proportion, joy.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Bad design. Bad shapes. Bad lines. Urgh
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I usually have an outfit planned. Its kinda like a character
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
A black catsuit with millions accessories I could change from day to day.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I try and be vampy. I try not to be beachy and orange.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
My parents are English and they moved to Melbourne Australia in the mid 70s. Maybe I've embraced the idea of eccentric dressing.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
No! I'd never want to be a man.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Rich on the Riviera
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Some times I'm horrified sometimes I'm impressed, sometimes I'm amused.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Poison Ivy from the Cramps, Jerry Hall, Joan Collins, Marchesa Casati, Diane Brill, Pricilla Presley, Anna Piaggi, Helena Bonham Carter, Grace Jones, Betty Davis, Courtney Love, Kim gordon, Siouxsie Sioux, Carmen Mirnada, Nina Hagen, Madonna, Jordan from VWestwoods SEX shop, Sophie Loren, I could go on.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Blonde hair, white jeans and a white t-shirt. I'd die.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
I love my body and hence I wear catsuits to celebrate that fact. (it took me a while to get to that place)
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Don't wear clothes that are too small for you. If in doubt go up a size
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Perfume often makes me feel sick. sometimes I want to reprimand other people for wearing too much perfume. Or disgusting smelling perfume. Its such an assault on the nose. Yulk
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I love make up! The thought of painting my face beautifully gets me out of bed in the morning.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Crazy fashion victim fashion. I hate it. Its almost worse than super boring dressing. Its for the sake of showing how much fashion you've bought. It has nothing to do with personal expression.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have a beautiful pair of shoes I was given as a present. They don't fit but I couldn't ever give them away.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A pair of excruciating Vivienne Westwood high heels, black patent leather pumps with a stacked heel and thick buckled ankle strap. I sold them on ebay. I wish I hadn't.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
A pair of black lacquered Gucci wedges. I still have them.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I try and make all my clothes.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I usually have pair of sunglasses on my. At the moment its a round grey pair of Illesteva ones.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
I was born in Melbourne Australia and I live there now
What kind of work do you do?
I make clothes. I'm a fashion and costume designer. I'm also a seamstress. and I have a shop.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I'm married I have a black toy poodle called Rupert and a black cat called Prince.
My name's Alice Edgeley, I am a fashion and costume designer in Melbourne.