Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
The first 5 minutes that I am awake, before I'm awake enough to worry about my hair and how I'm dressed and my self image. I always feel like I have sexy morning hair when I wake up.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
The ones with the bright, dyed hair, and the tattoos and the bold make-up. I always admire their confidence to be like "f*** it, I'm gonna have my hair and piercings and tattoos just the way I want them, I'm not gonna have other people dissuade me because they think they know my body better than I do".
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Just the general skill of make-up. that stuff is hard! to be able to paint a work of art on your face every morning is just amazing!
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
The first year of sixth form. It was the first year that we were allowed to wear what ever we wanted. On the very first day, I told myself 'Ondine, what ever you feel like wearing today, you freaking wear it! it doesn't matter if they are boy clothes, or you are gonna be mistaken for a rich person, or a weirdo, you wear those clothes!' Ever since, I have worn only what I want to wear.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
If its cheap with free shipping, go for it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
if you think it looks good, then it looks good.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I've not had it yet, but now that you mention it, I'm looking forward to it.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Always say yes to opportunities. someone needs your help Saturday and you are free? say yes. Free competition for a trip to Hawaii? say yes. A trip to a school event for a subject you haven't really thought about? go for it. you never know what interesting things you could have missed on because you didn't want to make the effort.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Hair bands and bobby pins. Always.
I don't know, the Hair band monster?
also, turtle necks, I own way too many.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I don't think I've ever given someone a present that was jewellery or clothing.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Crop tops and loom band jewellery. both are uncomfortable.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Me and my mother have the same body, except mine is a little thinner, and my torso is freakishly longer. Also, my mom has the most gorgeous ankles, with I have not inherited.
Now when it comes to style, anything I like she hate, and anything I hate she loves. We have yet to find an exception.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I have, on several occasions, 'borrowed' my mothers scrunchies.
And I may have 'borrowed' the idea of wearing waistcoats and ties from my brother.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
all the time. nearly everyday I will adopt a new style.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Pear shaped (head and body) with wide shoulders. round-ish plump body. small breasts that point outwards a bit too much. fat fingers, thin thin hands. crooked nose, but really nice green eyes. really thick upper thighs and thin lower legs. lots of beauty spots, but also a lot of achne. little or no ankles, wide ribcage. a torso too long for my legs. thin-ish neck, nice regular feet. chubby face, tiny lips. small, nice looking ears, belly button that points inwards. lots of body hair, with no time to shave it.
17. Please describe your mind.
Most of the time, slightly confused. Always thinking. sometimes irrational when I'm down. no sense of visual imagination. very bad when socialising. very logical, loves problem solving. Always tries to think positively. Over thinks social situations, refers back to morals a lot. Thinks too much about what people think, but does crazy stuff anyway. always thinking of what the other person is feeling.
18. Please describe your emotions.
really annoying sometimes. tend to ignore the ones like fear and sadness, tend to enjoy the ones like happiness alone. there is not much of a link from my emotions to my face.
my 'finding even the smallest thing hilarious' emotion, if by far the strongest. I tend to let that one show.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
pink and red glasses, chipped black nail varnish. hair pulled to the side into a ponytail, half of it out already. plain white bra that is too small, pink frilly panties (nice), jogging bottoms. giant knitted turtle-neck dress. no make up, no ear rings.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
nail varnish was from my Halloween costume, the knitted dress I bought in France with my dad. My glasses are not my style, but I was feeling adventurous, and they've grown on me.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They don't generally. thought I will dress smart/casual depending on what is necessary.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
taste to me is what you like in a piece of clothing (e.g. certain colours, a certain type of boot, a style of formal shirt)
style (when talking about an individual) is things that someone will like to/often wear.
I have certain tastes, but no style.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
70 euro 'durable' hiking boots, that started to rot because of the rain water.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
wearing boots to cover up that none of my socks match.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
my writing style, my walking style, my cooking style (burnt to a crisp).
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I don't have good judgement in life in general, but I know what I like in fashion, by what I find pretty and I think will suit my body type. I have made a lot of mistakes in what I think will look good. I don't know why
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
not really. my father taught me to do laces and my mother taught me how to do a tie. my brother taught me how to wear a waistcoat, but I learnt how to do a bow tie and the correct way to roll up my sleeves. I learnt everything I Know about make up from the internet.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
my sexy bra, wearing tights and heels. Wearing a low top and putting on mascara. having my top 'off the shoulder'. having my hair down.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable means you wont really think about what you are wearing on that day, but confident means your clothing will make you feel good.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Things that really give me a sense of 'awe'.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
mean people, jealousy, people who think others are worth less than them, people who put down others. prejudice, hypocrisy.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
nope, and nope.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
a person who cant stand fake eyebrows, they my clothes to look good on me, and to make sure my acne is in check. they applaud skill shown in make-up and they discourage skirts that may show my pants. they want my chest to look hot, and they convince me that I look fabulous, and I shouldn't worry because everyone goes through this process and the clothes don't make the evening.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
cleaner looking skin, cleaning of the face.
making sure I'm wearing deodorant
making sure I'm wearing a bra
picking out something that I own
putting it on
deciding whether I want make up
doing/ not doing my make up
deciding if i want earnings
trainers or boots?
hair down or up?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
wearing what I want, when I want, and not being dissuaded by other people.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
the amount of time you spend on make up
and what you plan on doing in the clothes
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
shirts ties and waistcoats with trousers, but no uniform colour.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
not me: crop tops, loom bands, fake tan, highlights, the colour orange, plastic glasses.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
French immigrant (into England). It hasn't.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
very bright colours. standing out.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
wearing pearl ear rings. skirts. waistcoats. business jackets. shirts. posh shoes.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I wore a Victorian frilly lolita dress at school. I also wore a waistcoat without the shirt once.
i do conform by wearing jeans very often.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
shorts with black tights and a really short dress that has short sleeves. Its very comfy, its not tight, it flows in the wind. it shows off my legs and my chest. there are pockets. no fear of panty line. I don't need to have shaved my legs or armpits. It can show off my bra (the top half Is slightly see through.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
half of the time, and I have cross dressed on many occasions.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I'm normally disappointed.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
yes, in the dream, it was the first day at sixthform and I was worried about what I was going to wear, but it turned out that no one was judging anyone, and I felt a bit stupid for worrying about it.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
crop tops. just no.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
everything. literally everything.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
depends on what I decide to wear.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
if you don't like it, don't wear it. if you do, do.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
perfume is great, but way too expensive.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
puck my eyebrows, take care of my acne, brush my teeth.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
it is the artwork of my face. some times I want to paint, sometimes I dont.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
crop tops and loom bands. just no.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I can't, There is no basic way.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
A seashell necklace that I bought for a quid. it just goes with everything.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a pair of jeans that I keep on forgetting to try on to see if they are my size.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
my orange jacket. it had a short 'cropped' bright orange jacket that I used to wear and love. I don't know what happened to it, but I would have loved to keep it because of all my memories of it.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
if I had to live with one piece of clothing: my onzie
if I got to buy more clothing: my short dress.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
avoid stretchy cotton trousers
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
my boots. I do.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
an cheap, old style Sherlock coat.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I have a huge box with ALL of my clothes.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
a knitted scarf from my best friend at the time. it was gorgeous.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
my sea shell necklace. damn i love that thing.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
at second hand stores, whenever I'm at the high-street and I'm bored
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I don't know. I used to have a perfume that smelled of vanilla cookies, but I don't use it any more.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
80. How does money fit into all this?
if anything is above 20 quid, then I'm not buying it.
exceptions: things for special occasions, shoes, coats.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
my sea shell necklace.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I cant, I'm afraid.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1999, Paris - France, south Gloucestershire - England.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am French by birth.
What kind of work do you do?
Photography/ Psychology student.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Tired (boy, that was a lot of writing)