Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Out in a club when dancing
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes! I notice women with well brushed hair and then make a mental note that well groomed, clean and healthy is important for all looks, so I should really brush my hair more often.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who look proud
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Fashion - When I discovered who Kate Moss was
Make-up - When I figured out how to pencil in my eyebrows perfectly
Hair - When I stopped messing around with bleach and started brushing it
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Never buy trousers with colourful prints
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Wear large pants
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
With my dad, about his love of fine clothes and shoes, and realising that he was far more appreciative of timeless quality than my mum.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
NO! I am quite controlling regarding cleanliness, finances and my wardrobe. These things can be controlled and therefore can make me calm. Work, love, relationships, I feel everyday I wake up having no clue how I've managed this far.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Lipsticks. I buy them impulsively when I'm feeling a bit lost. I am building an army of them, as like a lot of women, lipstick is my armour.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. I made a navy handwoven tie for my dad. It was a bit roughly finished, but he wore it to a wedding recently, which makes me feel good.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Blanket coats. It's gross
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I have her clothes from the 80s, which she thinks is hilarious. I love the quality of the high waisted trousers, although she was much slimmer than I am, so they don't fit great..
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I have stolen some of my mum's old work clothes, they make me feel more professional, sort of in a 80s power dressing kinda way.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I studied in Budapest in 2011, I constantly felt overdressed in my clothes I had brought from the UK. I noticed that there wasn't a great emphasis on fashion trends, which was a refreshing change. I think it made me see how everyone dressed the same back home, like there was a uniform that everyone got out of Topshop.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I don't like to attract unwanted attention from men, so I dress in order to be functional, and feel good. Sometimes if I wear something more manly or shapeless, I am making a statement that I am not a piece of meat. I shouldn't have to, but it seems to work.
16. Please describe your body.
I am average height for a woman. I have an athletic frame although I am not athletic at all. I have a little cake belly which grows on the weekends. I have fine wrists and ankles, knobbly knees, a pear shaped torso, strong bones, medium firm flesh and clear skin.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is slowly getting to where it needs to be.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions are my experiences, every emotion is a memory for my memoirs. Even if nothing outwardly interesting happens in my life, I will write a memoir.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing tartan leggings, a vest and an old boyfriend's jumper. I have no make-up on and my hair is freshly brushed and in a loose ponytail down my back.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's important as it contributes to the image we have of ourself in this world. Talking to friends, this stuff engages us in conversations which might not be that important, but it's what some friendships are built on. It's important because fashion, beauty, hair are all huge industries that women work in, learn about themselves from, and influence others through. To know what you're wearing and why can be as important as speaking to a psychologist or protesting in a political rally.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am totally Northern Irish. White, middle class, university educated.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I am a feminist
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I liked it, it was fun.