Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When my hair is clean and makeup done.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I sew and make jewelry, makeup and bath products. I usually notice a woman's jewelry first, then her makeup and finally her clothes. I admire women who are daring but tasteful. I don't like seeing skin. Cover your torso girls! Otherwise, you look like a tart.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like it when women dress elegant, with surprise. You don't have to spend a bundle either. Amazing things are available at thrift stores.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
OMG! The Fab Four! I'm so dating myself but them and Mary Quant! Just the whole Carnaby Street thing started me. I loved the hair, clothes, makeup everything. I had a cover photo of Twiggy in my room and I would emulate her makeup.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I buy my clothes and shoes on EBay. As a retired person, I don't have lots of money but can purchase named brand clothing for very little $. I stick to brands I trust and know the fit. I never spend more than $20 for an item.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I dress for comfort and style. I make jewelry that surprises. I don't makeup my face every day but always wear earrings.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Don't remember one.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I'm retired! After working for 55 years, I take it easy.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
My closet is crammed with tops. In the winter, I wear jeans and leggings and the summer I wear capris.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
All the women in my family get jewelry I've made.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
All that skin and skirts too short! Come on girls, men do a LOT of thinking with their "little head" rather than the big one. Don't give them ideas.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother always worried about her weight. Now I do and so do my three daughters.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
No. Others borrow from me.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I lost 40 pounds.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
I am 65" tall and weigh 160 lbs. My goal is to be 145 lbs. I'm a size 12 and my husband loves my body.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is constantly busy. I am challenged by seeing something I like and wondering if I can make it. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of making my own shoes....
18. Please describe your emotions.
I love easily and adore my family. I miss being close to my children and grandchildren. I am tolerant of most people although I feel political correctness has gotten out of hand and young people are too sensitive. Children should not be coddled, it will only hurt them as adults.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
My hair is loose and silver/gray. It below my shoulders and I wish it was thicker. My face is w/o makeup and has surprisingly few wrinkles. People think I am 15-20 years younger than I am. (My mother blessed me with a young looking face and I never suntan). I'm wearing a button down shirt, jeans and ballet flats. And of course, earrings. Also rings on three fingers of each hand.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It makes me happy. Make yourself happy and everyone around you will be happy too.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Nobody. A daughter, rarely.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They don't and never have. Even in high school I had my own style.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A long fur coat that hooked in the front.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
When I was single, I had a few things I wore that were "lucky" because I always had a good time when I wore them.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like. My youngest daughter knows me even better. We are very, very close and she could dress me because she knows me that well.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother taught me to care for clothing. Don't wash wool or it will fit the dog, not you anymore.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Put on makeup for my husband.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I look in the mirror and smile. My husband looks at me and smiles. My life is complete.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Wear color close to your face and know what colors look good on you. Remember what you were wearing when you were complimented. I. Always wear warm colors not cool.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
I feel beautiful if my muffin top is hidden.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes, I only buy things I will wear.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I don't go out. Money is limited but I am stylish by wearing second hand, gently worn, really good clothes.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I put on my pants/ capris and go into my. Walk in closet. Then I survey my tops/ shirts and pick out something that has caught my eye. Then I chose my earrings and shoes.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Style and comfort
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
My jewelry and clothing bling
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
When I worked I wore scrubs in warm colors
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Warm colors, dangle earrings and comfort. With or without makeup.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am a WASP. I wear what makes me happy
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
As styles have changed I changed with them
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
Haha! I wore red nail polish!
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
Jeans and some kind of stylish top with me-made earrings.
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
I have always been a others spot trends but I set them
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans, stylish top, earrings and ballet flats
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Never, never, never!
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Not a bit
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Sometimes wow but mostly yuck
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Jean Harlow. Beautiful and tragic.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Skin tight, skin exposed
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
What I wear now, only a size smaller
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Please yourself and for everyone's sake, look in the mirror, both front and back
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love it but rarely wear it
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
I am presentable. Others should own an iron and use it
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Love, love but don't always wear now that I stay home.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Old lady stuff ☹️
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Many tops and shirts! Too many earrings.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Can't pick I love them all
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A couple of formal dresses. I may consign them.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Jeans and colorful tops
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A fluffy coat that had a stuffed snake around the neck. I bought it on clearance and had a ball wearing it.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My husband bought me a lamb leather trench coat for Christmas five years ago (from my list) and I wore it two weeks ago
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A real red fox coat for reasonable price
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Organized by colors
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Whenever my husband sticks to my Christmas list, I'm happy and when he diverges....☹️
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Monthly. I shop eBay
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
It suits me
80. How does money fit into all this?
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
A purse with compartments or many pockets
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
No. People see me for who I am.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I was five and my shoes were red patent leather. They clicked when I walked. My dress was red dotted Swiss. The fabric smelled good. My mom made my dress and it was beautiful.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
September 21,1948 born in Wadena, Minnesota.
I now live in Columbia, South Carolina
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'm a baby boomer, squarely middle class
What kind of work do you do?
I was a BSMT, now retired.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married, three daughters
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I am unique, friendly and funny. Always try to please but not pushover. I am loyal and loving. Need a friend? Look no further.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I've worked all my life and am enjoying a much deserved retirement. Used to be a redhead. I worked in a clinical laboratory for over 30 years (not the same one). I've always set my own style, a nonconformist.