Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I feel skinny
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Slender, good hair, hats, colourful style cloth
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Individual look, walking confidently, colourful, smiling
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
A friend told me to stop wearing jeans, to wear dresses, boots & cut my hair. I had wanted to change my look, took her advice, never looked back
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Try it on, it may look fab....
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
As written above
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
No, I try to be organised but life is short.... Do your best
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Cardigans, lots of colours, unsure why I keep buying
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Ponchos, just vile, only good on tall women
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother was stylish when she was young then got older and less interested in dressing well. My style is different to hers, different body shape
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
A friend made me a 1940's blouse from an original pattern that she had made for herself, divine
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Stopped wearing trousers because I felt fat, wore skirts, then jeans & now dresses. I realised that I am not fat. My image of myself was very wrong. I feel good now. I am 51 & slimmer than women half my age, hurrah!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I dress discreetly but confidently. I dress for myself, not for the male gaze
16. Please describe your body.
5foot2 slim, small waist, shapely legs
17. Please describe your mind.
Clear focused free
18. Please describe your emotions.
Today happy peaceful
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Jeans, black polar neck, black socks
Foundation, eye shadow, mascara, lip balm, coconut oil moisturiser
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's me and I am important to me, whether people like it or not, we represent ourselves by how we dress, look, behave, everyone is special, beauty is in all of us because we are unique
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I wear a nurses uniform
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Both, meaning is individual, I wear what I like
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Yes, a coat
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Knitting crochet embroidery
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes when public speaking
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes, I know what I like, discernment comes from my religious beliefs
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Mother- no, Father- fold clothes properly, everything else learnt from my maternal grandmother
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I tend to dress to show off my waist, legs but am discreet generally
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Watching the way someone moves, not over fussy in dress, chic, like Audrey hepburn
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
I wear what suits me, discreet/ private, not over fussy, colour coordinated, block colours
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
God, children, flowers, cats, smiling, skies, trees, art, music, people who make things, kindness, gentleness, being fair
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Terrorism, sexism, racism, rape, sexual assault, child abuse, war, people suffering, unfairness in the world
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes, I think a lot more before I buy & I can say no to a purchase
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
A quiet person, simply dressed, smart, reserved
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Work, nurses uniform, days off, I always dress up, colour coordinated, I consider bags shoes jewellery too
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To look attractive, my own style
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
High heels, evening wear
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Not a nurses uniform, more fitted, navy
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
You smart, reserved, colours
Not you revealing clothes, tarty look
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
English, reserved neat smart
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
Punk lots of black, spiky hair, about music and being different to older people, anarchy rebellion
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Smart clothes, conservative make up, hair pinned up
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I never iron my uniform, they' re lucky to have me, I wear sketchers plimsolls
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
No thank goodness
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
It,s ok, would rather get blood all over my uni than on my own clothes
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Dress black tights good shoes
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Would like to be a man for a day and chat to women, have a penis, men,s clothes so dull
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
As a child
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I hate it
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Audrey Hepburn, Kate moss, Louise brookes
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Low cut top miniskirt high heels
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Really tight black trousers
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
My husband, attract
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress to suit your shape but be happy too
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Love it yes
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Sometimes I wear no make up and it,s fine
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
A range of clothes, some very expensive jewellery and cheaper stuff, lots of shoes, bags, cardigans
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Shoes engagement ring
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A coat, a large collar 1960 style, it's beautiful but can only be worn occasionally, I love it
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Dresses shoes bags jewellry
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Jewellry and an original piece of artwork
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Yes colour coordinated
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Days off 1-2 times per month
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I like to look neat calm subtle
80. How does money fit into all this?
I buy what I want
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Yes no more jeans wear dresses boots
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Primary school, horrible girls who were mean about my clothes, shoes
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1965 Bristol oxford
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
It's ok to be different, not fit in, eccentric
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It was interesting