Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
In the morning after I put effort into getting dressed and looking nice.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
- attractive/pretty women
- intricate hairstyles
- cute outfits
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
- are confident without makeup
- choose comfort over style
- smile a lot
- put effort into how they look but don't freak out if something doesn't work
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I try to shop cruelty-free, which I recommend:
- no child labor
- safe working conditions
- fair trade
- no leather/silk/wool/fur/pearls
Something I follow but don't necessarily recommend:
- non-flimsy material
- if it's not comfortable, don't buy it
- will I ever wear this? no = don't buy
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I won't be in pain or discomfort just to look good. If I have to keep adjusting, checking, or rearranging myself I won't wear it.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Leggings. They're really comfortable and cute, and they go with everything.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Winged eyeliner- it just looks silly to me.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I have the opposite body and style to my mother. We disagree on everything fashion haha.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Right on the healthy side of underweight. Tall and thin (about 5'6 and 60 kilos, I think)
17. Please describe your mind.
I believe in choice and freedom for all- I'm vegan, pro-choice, and atheist if that means anything.
18. Please describe your emotions.
These questions are very vague.
I get anxious a lot, but am very motivated to improve myself. If I make a vow to do something I will stick to it.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Black leggings, purple tank top, and grey hoodie. Ponytail. Tiny bit of concealer that's probably worn off throughout the day.
I'm not dressed up at all.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I have no idea.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My friends sometimes, it's not really a common topic though.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
School has a strict uniform and outside of school I mainly visit casual places, so I don't dress up very often.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
My taste is in comfort and practicality. It's hard to find anything to call my style because every shop seems to have the same five items with different prints.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
My mum made me get a dress to accept a scholarship in and I only ever wore it once.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
An effective mask for acne and soft skin can be made from green tea and diatomaceous earth. I wash my hair with a 2in1 shampoo then tip plain green tea over it then rinse. It stays clean for about four days and doesn't get greasy easily, and I don't have to buy it every other month.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I will wear a hoodie when it's not cold just so it feels like I can hide inside it.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I'm very particular and picky when I choose clothes, and in other areas of my life.
It has to be cruelty-free, ethical, practical, and comfortable.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I learned to dress myself when I realised I just wore random stuff as a kid lol
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Feeling comfortable is when you don't rush home just to get out of your outfit. Feeling confident is when you dress for yourself, not for others.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I only buy things if I'm 100% sure I will wear it. If I love the item I'll likely be excited to wear it.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
It's comforting, because I don't have to wear a different outfit every day. And I know everyone is wearing the exact same thing.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I would love to have a man's body. As it is my wardrobe is more masculine than a lot of my friends'.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
I love my body the way it is.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I try to look nice for friends and love interests lol. I don't try to repel anyone.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Wear whatever makes you happy.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Perfume sucks. Even when you drown yourself in it, the scent lasts for 0.5 seconds. I don't wear perfume- I wear deodorant.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I don't wear makeup. If I did I would get lazy in caring for my skin, knowing that I could just cover it up.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Dresses and skirts, makeup. Skirts are just impractical and annoying.
I don't want to wear makeup because I don't want to be one of those people who can't go outside without it.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Jeans, leggings, t-shirts, plaid
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
When I was a kid I vowed to always have colors and to dress for myself, not for the 'popular girls'.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
White. Middle-class. Grandparents are from England.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?