Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am confidently being myself. Confidence tends to draw eyes, so generally the people paying attention make me feel most attractive..
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I tend to notice 'successful' women who hold themselves well - head up and full of confidence.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire the determination in their eyes, the confidence they express and the way they seem so sure about themselves and how they want to live.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I haven't really had that moment, I'm still trying to figure it all out but I think I'm getting there.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I am trying to be more sustainable with what I buy so if I cannot guarantee I will wear it more than once or if I can point out things I do not like about the garment I won't buy it. I refuse to buy anything because it 'might fit me when...'
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I dress for my body type which changes from day-to-day. I hide the parts of my body that I don't like that day - whether it's in loose items or overly warm for the season I try to draw the attention away from them.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I have unified my approach to life through minimalism. I am trying to only keep the things in my life that make me feel good and bring me joy while also making tasks more simplistic and less time consuming.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Black ponte pants - I buy at least 2 pairs every year because they are pants that can double for casual and work wear which means they are worn almost every day in the colder months.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Ruffles. I used to be a lot larger than I am now but even so I am not a dainty person. I think ruffles make people, particularly those a little bit heavier, look frumpy.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My Mother's body is a bit larger than mine, so she tends to wear garments that flow. I believe some of the items in my closet may have been chosen due to her influence, I don't really have a lot of tight fitting items.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
When I first started dating my partner, we played a lot of golf and he, and his family for that matter, wear a lot of polo shirts and casual button downs. Due to this I started wearing those on a regular basis. Also, because his family is wealthier I also felt the need to dress nicer which meant I have a lot of semi-formal dresses in my closet.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
The spring of my last year of University I had to do a complete wardrobe overhaul as I had lost of 20kgs during the winter. I was wearing tighter fitting items compared to my previous loose and a 'few sizes too big' garments.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I don't believe so.
16. Please describe your body.
I am of medium/athletic build, currently with a little bit of extra weight around the mid section due to pesky hormones.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is very active. I worry and overthink everything so my current aim is to calm everything down and take it as it comes.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions are generally up beat but they can be subjected to mood swings, when I get terribly low and grumpy. Also anxious and depressed.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am currently wearing a bralette, underwear and a wrap around dress with a watch on one wrist, a fitbit and a hair tie on the other and my hair is down as it is wet from the shower. No make up.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Friends mostly, unless I'm ranting to my boyfriend about something doesn't fit.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I believe I have a taste but not a distinct style just yet. I believe style is more important because it's how you want to present yourself in terms of the current trends. Someone with taste is generally someone who can buy off the current racks however someone with style generally knows what they want before they go out looking.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I find that I always wear expensive lingerie under my outfit to give me an extra boost of confidence.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My parents always taught me to be practical with my clothing - easy to care for, keeps you dressed for the season etc. However most of the lessons I learnt were learned through working in retail which required it just to be picked up; washing items, folding and storage etc.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfort is being within your zone while confidence is reserved for people willing to push the boundaries and be outside their zone.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Very ugly to me is someone who is not happy in their own body for a magnitude of reasons and is not willing to take the steps to make themselves happier. Its also someone who looks down on people based on their socio-economic status, fashion-style, body shape and personal circumstance.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Generally I am, this is a learned behaviour though. However, I still refuse to cut the tags off a garment until I am 100% sure it is going to be worn. If it still hasn't been worn up until a week before the exchange period is up I will take it back to the store for a refund.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
My daily dressing process generally revolves around what the weather and temperature are going to be like and how I'm feeling. If I am upbeat and energetic I tend to dress 'warmer', if I am tired and lethargic I tend to dress 'colder' and more comfortable.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I conform to the expectation of the workplace by dressing corporately for the office however, by doing this I rebel agains the dress expectations of everyone else who is a lot more casual.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
I often find it comforting to have a uniform that way your work clothes and daily clothes/formal clothes are not merged.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I think perfume is lovely when used in small quantities, in the sweet spots - so neck and wrists.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Most valuable items that I have purchased were most likely accessories like bags and shoes.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
I would attempt to make it more of a capsule wardrobe, so that I don't spend hours on end staring into it thinking I have nothing to wear.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I bought myself a Louis Vuitton handbag three years ago and I still have it and use it everyday.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I like everything to be clean and neat although my underwear drawer will forever be a mess.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I usually shop around online, bookmarking items then go back through it and think about when, where and how often I would wear the item. Generally the list is whittled down to two or three items and more often they look better in the picture so they get sent back. In the even that I buy clothes from a store it's generally because I have outgrown something or am looking for something in particular.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I wear a watch everyday.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
My birth date is the 14th of December, I was born in Auckland, NZ and I currently live in Sydney, Australia.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Middle class family with hard working parents who instilled a great work ethic into my sisters and I.
What kind of work do you do?
I currently work in Government administration
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I am in a long term relationship