Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
With lined eyes, a vintage shirt, shorts and my black reebok classics.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I like women that seem confident, that laugh loud and can be alone in a compulsive crowd. Women that go to the cinema or to the bar alone and enjoy their own company.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like the way they can be by themselves without the presence of others.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
My hair. I have dreadlocks and I have received extreme reactions; positive and negative. Since then, I realized that my fashion style was individual and if i changed it for someone else, it was bound to change just because of someone again. So I try and do, Me.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Buying on impulse.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Subscribing to fashion rules. Don't. Every new trend breaks the previous trend.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
A course by MOMA called fashion as design opened my mind to the numerous angles on fashion regarding, race, shape, history, violence etc
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I try to apply my minimalist perspective to other areas of my life. I love black, I wear black, Im indifferent about receiving gifts from my partner and I try to be conservative in spending.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans. Black, blue, faded, ripped, tomboy cut. Its ridiculous. I keep buying because I feel like each piece tells a different story when paired with another piece.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
No. I'd rather gift books.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Yes. A good number of fashion trends. Crop tops are not really my style.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother is buxom and I seem be getting closer to that and she is very stylish. IN her late 50s, she wears what she feels like within modest boundaries. But she's not scared of color or asymetrical cuts.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes I constantly borrow my sisters clothes and I have adapted traditional blouses to be paired with modern clothing. e.g the Yoruba Buba (Nigerian wear)and a pair of jeans
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Early 20's; I just knew It was time to be myself.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
My hair (dreadlocs - freedom and revolution). Also, my love for African prints (I hope that I can say that the African pride is rising with my clothing)
16. Please describe your body.
I am about 5'4, with a slight hour glass shape and squared shoulders.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is a constantly evolving and progressive canvas for God to paint on.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions can be fragile but they come out strong.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a short lycra gown. My hair is up in huge bun surrounded by a head band and pearl earrings. The slight makeup on my face has vanished because work is over, but my wrists are embedded in beads, a gold chain and a fitbit. My nails are fixed with acrylic with a dual tone of grey and purple.
I am wearing comfy wedge shoes.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It describes my personal touch and view of fashion - I like my comfort.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My friend, who loves sewing too.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Banks require full corporate wear except Fridays. Some religious institutions call for modesty. I comply within my personal boundaries of fashion
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Style. I have style. I think style is more important. I think taste is more temporary and style is long lasting.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
No. I'll rather spend it on books.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Yes. amendment of vintage clothing to fit my size. Also wearing my mums oversized shirts.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes. I have a style for decor when I have my place. Lol. Future interior style
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes I can. Dressing in a kaftan because I don't want to be anywhere but in the comfort of my room.
Wearing all black, because I feel like that.
Dressing up in color, because I feel like screaming out loud.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes I like vintage clothing. especially print shirts.
Yes I know what I like in other areas of life.
I think my sense of discernment comes from realizing that the world needs individuality and I can't survive this world by lying to myself.
I need to know what I want.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
No they didnt teach me. I just watched. My mother impulsively shopped, but she was very stylish and I remember people complimenting her style.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I prep up and make sure I feel comfortable and that's that.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable; means you like what your mind is saying when no one is there.
Confident; can stand alone without the help or praise of others.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
My style philosophy is comfortable individuality.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Beauty is nature. everything; prey, predator, the sun, the moon, human movements.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Ugly - hatred, violence.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes. Once I know it wont be worn, I give it out.
I'm still trying to figure out how to know in advance by sticking to my list even when i see something i like
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Dress (Picked my attired the night before)
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Comfort no matter what I face during the day even if its a surprise.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Black attire with adjustable elements for variety sake.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I am vintage, I am black, I am comfort.
I am not dress up, I do not dress to impress other people.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Nov 1988. Born in Nigeria. Live in Nigeria
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am Nigerian
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I like the fact that I am on an interesting journey to self discovery.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Cool. Its nice to read about my inner thoughts.