Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel at my most attractive when I do well, both physically and emotionally, when slept well, when I do not have any major preoccuptions or Things that make me worried, when I look into the Mirror and think: "I like that guy!"
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I definitely do!!! As I am generally interested in Fashion and Styling I look at People and what they wear. I admire women who make an effort to present themselves in a certain way. no matter what that way might be. It can be an old Lady that combines certain Colours, a punk or gothic Girl or women who wear Special Kinds of garments.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire when a Woman is selfconfident enough to step out of the beat track. When she really wears something Special, Hand made garments e.g., or Things you would not expect like a nose piercing or a Colourful jacket at an old Lady or something like that. These women show that their appearence is of a certain importance to them and they present that in the public.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I do not know if I can answer this Question. I don't know what "clicked" means in this context. I think it was, when I was 16 years old, and I saw the other Girls in my class who could knit beautiful things, like sweaters, scarfs, caps etc. I wanted to make garments that express me too. At that time I wore Things that were being bought by my parents. I did not dare to express wishes concerning my clothes. But by knitting I could make something, that I liked and how I liked.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't know! I cannot answer this question.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
May this one: I try to wear something that I made myself everyday. That may be a Sweater, a Shirt, a belt or even my Hand bag. Making Things takes a lot of time and also some skill. So it is not something everyone can do.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I do not remember any conversation that had a transformative Impact on me.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I try to have a sustainable Lifestyle, especially when it comes to consumption. I think I select very carefully both Things and relationships. I want These Things to last.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I can only think of my underwear. I have several identical pants - same Colour, same cut.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes I did!!! When my mom died I gave away a necklace and several earrings to my wife. And I made serveral garments for my wife, skirts, blouses, Dresses.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I am not a dedicated follower of Fashion. I hate sarouel pants.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother was a woman - I am a man, so I cannot answer this question. If you replace 'mother's Body and style' by 'father's Body and style', I try: I think my Father did not care About how he looked, he tried to wear comfortable clothes and worn out clothes. Sometimes I really looked like a bum, which made me embarassed very often. I definitely wanted to do different.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
No I don't think so.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I am not aware that this happened. I guess my style if one can call it that way developed very slowly over the years. I did want to make any dramatical changes.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Today most of the garments being sold in Germany or the US or any western Country are made by poor People in Sweat Shops that are located in poor countries because labour is cheap there and the fabrication of garments is very labour intensive. I wear a lot of Things I made myself. So I put something against the global taste sold by international companies like Zara (Inditex), H&M, Primark etc. and I am not personally responsible for the Exploitation in those Sweat Shops. I really try to wear my garments as Long as possible to honour the work of the People who made my garments and to make only a small Impact on the Environment.
16. Please describe your body.
I am rather tall: 6'2" (About 185 cms) I have a male Body that is to say large shoulders, smaller hips. I do not have a big tummy. My average size in Germany is 50 that converts to about L in the US.
17. Please describe your mind.
A lot is going on there I think About a lot of Things, mostly how to make somethings, to find technical Solutions to Problems that might face. I often meditate About garments that I can knit or sew.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Often I feel sad, Maybe it is because my mom died. I had severe phases of OCD. I consider myself 95 % to 98 % free of Symptoms which means I can do most Things without being impeded by my compulsions Sometimes they are coming back a Little bit. I am often Angry, mostly at my Father. I love my Family, my son and my wife. I am very lucky that they came into my life.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
As I lost most of my hair it is cut very short. I do not wear make-up. I shaved Five day ago. I wear a blue Sweater knitted by me (of Course) made of Merino wool (100 % wool), a pair of blue Jeans (Levis 501), blue socks and that's it. I like the Colour blue.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
The pair of Jeans was bought from Money that my mom gave me, so it is important in a way but blue Jeans are also everyday garments. The Sweater was made by me. On the back it shows a tree, the branches of the tree are coming from a braid. It reminds a Little bit of the design in the Lord-of-the-ring-Films. In the front there is only one braid.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
I talk to my wife About clothes, sometimes when look at catalogues we get form Fashion companies. Then she asks: What do you think? Could I wear this or that?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I think they so not affect me, but I am not sure.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Do I have taste? Do I have style? When I read your book I asked myself these questions. I think first one has to define 'taste' and 'style'. If you define 'style' as a sort of personal Hand writing that becomes visible in different aspects of my life, then I would say "Yes I think, I have style." When I hear the word 'taste' I automatically think of People (men and women) that wear exquisit garments and live in elegantly furnished homes like the ones you sometimes see in magazines. But I think I am not that Kind of Person.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Oh yes, I remember: I bought a coat from Belgian Designer for About 600 (?) Euros. It hangs still in my closet, but it has a sad life now, because I do not wear it.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I don't know.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Mmmm, good question: Maybe this: I try to buy as much unprocessed Food as possible, mostly organic and I try to process (mostly cook) it myself. I try to have Things that last a Lifetime, especially furniture. I cannot understand People that buy new furniture just because they think they have to and not because something is broken. Sustainablitiy in that way is important to me. I try to make my ecological Footprint as small as possible which is not always easy.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I do not remember any occation when I did that.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I guess I know what I like. I think that is because I try to stick to Things I know, so my surprise won't be so big. As I knit and I sew myself I know a lot About fabrics and Methods of processing. So I think I am good - as you call it - at discernment.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Unfortunately they were very conservative. When I was 16 / 17 years of age, my mom often said: "But Young People wear this!" I did not believe her because I saw what they wore every day. Concerning my Father he showed me how to tie a tie. But he could not teach me anythink About style because he often looked like a homeless Person or like bum, with ragged or torn clothes. He is not my Fashion model.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I try to wear good Looking, clean and relatively new garments, that are Fitting. I shave.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
As I said I try to have / wear Things I made myself. They express me. But sometimes I also try to look extraordinary and sometimes even very extraordinary. I am a man and sometimes I wear skirts (yes!!!!) but I do not consider myself a transvestite or a transsexual Person. I like skirts, both wearing them and Looking at them when they are worn by other people. Wearing something extraordinary or unique would be my style philosophy
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
It depends on what I am doing. I work as a freelancer from my home Office. But when I go out buying groceries in my neighbourhood, I wear my everyday garments and I try not to be so visible that is to say one man in the crowd.
Sometimes when I go to a special event I Dress really Fancy. I want People to look at me thinking: 'This is a man who Looks different!' or 'This is a man who has the Courage to wear this.'
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Ok, Dressing is to cover your Body with garments so you are not naked.
Dressing up means to me selecting garments and putting them together for a Special occation.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Not me: Fashionable Garments that look cheap and are of cheap, artifical materials e.g. plastic and from mass production.
Me: Things that custome made, Hand made, Things that are natural. Organic fibers, Wood that Shows how the tree grew…
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Most of my costumers and their costumers are engineers or people that work in a technical field. They do not emphasize so much on garments. Jeans and Shirts are often worn by These People. I try to look similar.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
As I said, often I wear garments made by me. Shirts for example in mallow or a pair of Jeans sewn by me with my initials on the back pockets. (Instead of the arches from Levis.)
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
No, I don't.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Shirt and blue Jeans. They are very versatile, that's what I like About it.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I Change the question: Do you ever wish you were a Woman or could dress like a Woman? I often thought that women have so many possiblities accepted by the Society how to Dress. I often thought About the question: If I was a Woman, what would I wear given that I could freely choose my Outfits. I think I like baroque or victorian Fashion a lot. I thought About what it would be like to moove in a gown like women had in baroque times or in the later 19 th century. What Feeling must it have been to move in These luxurious silk gowns and listen to the sounds the silk fabric makes while you walk accross the floor. It must have made you appear important.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Maybe the second half of the 19th century but in wealthier classes, Maybe the early 60ies of the 20th century. I like that Fashion reflects the optimism of that era.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
No I don't think I am a photogenic Person.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Sometimes I think I am good Looking, but often I think I am ugly.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
I admire the style of the actor Cary Grant, Maybe. He represents a man that is very well dressed. And he Shows his maskulinity but not by presenting a very manly Body, but by his Charme and his impeccable clothes.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
It is not my Body that bothers me it is my mind that does.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I cannot think of anyone - at least not consciously.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Be more daring!!! That applies to men too.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
No I don't wear parfume. I do not like to much. In my 30ies I used Aftershave. But not now (I am in my 50ies) I try to smell neutral.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
My closet is not very big. I have few Basics: Currently two pairs of Jeans (one black, one blue) several Cargo Shorts, Maybe 8 or 10 Shirts, several T-Shirts, 5 or 6 Sweaters. Two better trousers, two corduroys, to Kilts (made by me), a silk skirt and yes: a suit bought in the US two years ago that I have never worn since then.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
It is a leather jacket mady by a Tailor.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
It is this suit. I bought it two years ago in a Shopping mall located in the Suburbs of Philadelphia. I tried it on in the store, brought it home to Germany and never wore it here. I want to save it for a Special occation when a suit is appropriate. That occation never came until now.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
I was given a leather jacket for Chrismas that was much too big for me. I wore it for a year or two but I hated it. So when I had the Money I went to a Tailor who is specialized in leather garments and I ordered a bespoke leather jacket. Back then it costed 1.800 Deutsch-Marks or about US-$1.000. I still have it and I wear it, when I need to feel confident or good Looking. I like this jacket very much. It has a blue lining inside, which make it look Special.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
That leather jacket.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I guess I must have been in my Kindergarten-Years 4 or 5 years old. I was wearing something I was wearing on my first Birthday. I know that because I had a photo where I am with this polo Shirt. Back then I thought I still have what I wore back then.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
August, 17, 1965 in Munich (Germany) I still live in Munich
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am White caucasian male, middle class. German parents
What kind of work do you do?
I am freelance Journalist and copywriter
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I have a wife and one child.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I think the most important Thing is: I AM A MAN. I know that this Survey is aimed at women but I found the Questions and the Approach very interesting.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It made me think about clothes in General and my Approach to clothes, but it also might have given me an insight into way women Approach the issue 'clothing'.