Read Surveys (By Author)
c mags 3
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when i feel strong and confident
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
yeah, femme girls with an edge
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
it's clicking now, because i am trying. i didn't try - i wanted to be invisible for a long time.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I go for practical and wearable over fun and crazy. But sometimes you need fun and crazy.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I can get dressed in about two minutes any given day.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Internal conversations with myself about worth, pleasure, and confidence
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
live within your means
go for quality over quantity
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
slouchy tshirts, because i feel most like myself and they are comfy
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
i made pendant necklaces for a couple coworkers. they were excited to receive them. i wonder if they ever wear them.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
rompers. i'm not a child.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
my mom has great taste and is awesome at the hunt. but she does not have a good relationship with her body. she's not afraid to buy things for pleasure and fun. I have great taste, too. I work hard to have a good relationship with my body. And I try to be more like her and treat myself.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
lately, i'm more confident in myself and trying. i was not confident for a long time and recovering from trauma and wanted to hide. i used clothing as a shield. now i feel i can be more open and relaxed.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
i dress for myself, for my autonomy
16. Please describe your body.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
sweats, striped LS tee, pigtails
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
it's your body. it's intimate and tactile and a cultural symbol
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my mom and partner the most
sometimes friends or coworkers
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
semantics are boring
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I don't really think in those terms.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
All my clothes go together and I can get dressed in two minutes flat
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Art, creativity, home, food, literature, music, design. Literally everything.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes, I have used clothes for safety. Quite literally for awhile, combat boots to feel safer and stronger.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes, I have excellent discernment, but sometimes I convince myself I shouldn't get what I like because I am still learning how to allow myself pleasure and have it feel safe.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I learned how to sew and how to wash clothes. My dad would wash and iron his dress shirts himself. They never dry cleaned anything, so I have a strong sense of maintaining my things myself.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
slouchy, not skintight (or maybe both)
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
confidence is being comfortable with yourself
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
get a life. your clothes should not distract from your purpose and agenda and living, the should support it.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
thoughtfulness of design
mastery of craftsmanship
34. What do you consider very ugly?
things that are thoughtless, badly made, and throwaway
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
i have an excellent track record of buying what i will wear and wearing what i buy.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Usually I have one thing I want to wear that day and I build an outfit around it
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing is for getting through the day, it's for me
dressing up is for other people, generally
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
not me: excess
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
yes, but no
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
collars and good hair
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
we don't have much dress expectations
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
i used to wear a uniform for school and the best part was figuring out how to skirt the rules
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
i love love love traditional menswear and wish i could have a whole closet of traditional custom tailored suits. i wish tailoring was more accessible to women. i love a good suit.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
i looked better than i thought i did