Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
That very moment when I realize it's been a great day and I didn't spill something on myself.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I tend to notice most people as I really enjoy seeing how people present themselves, which is sometimes full of confidence or just full on chaos. I love seeing different styles.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I appreciate when someone looks comfortable/confident in what they're wearing.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I finally learned clothes are meant to fit the person and not for the person to try to fit into the clothes. It's not the end of the world if I have to go up or down a size, my butt just isn't meant to fit into narrow sized clothing, nbd.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't think I have any.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I'm pretty experimental, so again, no actual rules for myself.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
It was a simple question a friend asked me, "How do you know? You haven't even tried it on yet." I think I was just stuck in a jeans and t-shirt phase and was afraid everything would look weird on me when I was younger.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
It's more of a "let's see where this takes us" approach, so it all depends on how I'm feeling... perhaps a chaotic approach?
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Mostly jeans, out of necessity because I use them until they're completely worn out.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. I like to gift unique pieces of jewelry to friends/family that they wouldn't pick for themselves, but not so far out of their comfort zones that they wouldn't use them.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
The scene kid years when I was teenager.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother is very critical of herself and has self esteem issues, and it affected me a lot growing up because she would also (and still does) make comments about my body. As I've gotten older, I've learned to embrace my body a bit better. Style-wise, she wears what she is comfortable in and I do too.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes. I'll try something out that someone else inspired, and I'm pretty sure I've borrowed plenty of people's clothes over the years.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
My style as a teenager was more alternative and at some point, I was wearing nothing but floral prints, skirts, and more colorful clothing (it was very shortlived). I want to say it was because I got my first boyfriend and someone (bf) put it in my head that I wasn't girly enough for him lol looking back, it's funny now, but I was very gullible.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I like to think so, I wear what I want and when I want.
16. Please describe your body.
Curvy, soft, and strong.
I've gained some weight during this pandemic and had stopped working out. It's been a really stressful time and the anxiety/depression has been completely overwhelming, but I've learned to be nicer to myself throughout this whole mess.
17. Please describe your mind.
I'm always over-thinking everything, but I can remember all the lyrics to most songs I haven't heard in over 20 years... so not all bad?
18. Please describe your emotions.
Unsure. Anxiety has been at the forefront, but I can't say it's all consuming.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Black leggings, old Tool concert tee, prussian blue framed eyeglasses, no make-up, and my hair is in a messy bun.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Generally great to use as an extension of self-expression.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My friends, sisters, strangers. Anyone really.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Dress codes are usually the direct culprit.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
A little bit of both, but it's more applicable to my own personal taste and style as I don't particularly follow popular trends. I like what I like.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I'm an impulse shopper, so it happens more often than I'd like to admit.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
A bold lip will make most things disappear, so don't have to spend too much time on eyeshadow. My curly hair lets me get away with minimal effort on my hair.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
The way I speak, from what I'm told.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
On days when I'm not feeling my best, I'll make a little more effort to look better than I'm feeling.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I believe I do, for the most part. I think it has to do with certain life experiences I've had and lots of trial and error over the years.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I wasn't taught anything directly, but my family is mostly women so seeing everyone around me with their own personal style helped me cultivate my own.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Usually bold make-up makes me feel sultry.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
To me, it means someone who likes what they're wearing and doesn't feel like they're wearing some random stranger's outfit.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Probably a 2-part question: How do you feel and how do you WANT to feel?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Boldness, confidence, and a great smile.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Rude, mean, vicious attitudes.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes. I wear everything I buy.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I think my outer eye is based on my sister, generally nice and very supportive. It's very much an approach of "treat yourself as you treat others" type of thing.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
If it's a day full of running errands, jeans or yoga pants, a t-shirt with vans or boots, and my usual 5 rings.
If it's a day with some plans, a simple dress, statement earrings, some make-up, bold shoes, and usual 5 rings.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
A unique, effortless look.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
The difference is really in which shoes I'm wearing. Heels = dressed up, no heels = dressed.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
I hate uniforms, but I think my default is leggings, t-shirt, and sandals for absolute low-effort.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I'm not quite sure anymore. I used to wear nothing but dark colors and as of recently, I've been adding brighter colors to the mix. Oh wait, scratch that, anything white is not me.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I'm more than sure it's influenced me in numerous ways, but I really cannot pinpoint exactly how.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I used to dress in a manner that would allow me to fade into the background and not draw any attention to myself. It was uncomfortable for me to be noticed at that time.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
My general rule of thumb for dressing more professionally (for myself) is black with one colorful piece of clothing or all black with statement jewelry. Hair, typically slicked back and a no-makeup makeup look with lipstick.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
Bold lipstick and fun shoes.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
Yes, I do participate in a recreational sport that requires a uniform.
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
Yes, fun socks.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Black combat boots, black denim jeans, black tshirt, usual 5 rings, huge earrings, and bold makeup. I know it's all black, but my makeup stands out and so does my jewelry, it's about the small details.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
No, I wear men's clothing whenever I want, but have never desired to be a man.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I'm happy with current times.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Oh god, I really need to learn how to pose. I get way too awkward in front of a camera.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Siouxsie Sioux, Poison Ivy (from The Cramps), Shakira
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Anything requiring a very revealing crop top would be incredibly uncomfortable.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Maybe crop tops? I think that's really the only thing I won't wear.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Wear what you want.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love them, but can't always wear them because my allergies hate me.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Run a lint roller over them.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
It dresses up a simple outfit.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I probably own too much stuff. Lots of jewelry, shoes, clothes, and make-up. It varies between vintage, thrifted, luxury, and everything in-between.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A couple dresses, but mostly because I haven't gone anywhere. I keep it in hopes that things will "normalize" soon enough.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Probably lingerie, I love it.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A vintage fur coat my dad gave me. I thought it was ridiculous at the time, but before I could appreciate my puppy destroyed it.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Give the items I buy more thought so my closet is more cohesive.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Stiletto ankle boots, but I do not wear them.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Probably a well fitted bra.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A skirt that fits properly.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A black jean jacket. As usual, an impulse buy, but it came in handy for completing an entire outfits.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
All the time and mostly online these days.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Not particularly, as long as I'm clean.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
It pushes me out of my comfort zone since I try not to fall into routines of how I dress, which helps me think of other ways to push myself in other areas of my life.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I don't spend a whole lot, but I do try to save when I can.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Chapstick and sunglasses.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
"You always find the best items" mostly because most of my items are thrifted
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
July 1989. South Texas.
What kind of work do you do?
Call center, work from home.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single. 1 kid, 2 dogs.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I don't typically give direct answers, which is probably why my answers are mostly "not really"... I should probably work on that.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Not feeling one way or another.