Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm wearing something unusual, my hair is working, and I have something intelligent to say.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Effortlessness I always admire, because I find it unattainable. Also I greatly appreciate an ability to see the potential in a strange piece and transform it through how its worn.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
In high school I signed up for a free experimental haircut and was horrified of the results. When a friend saw my embarrassment he simply told me "Oh, get over yourself." Funnily, this had a huge impact on me. Just that single statement was somehow very freeing, and I continue to think about it. I think the imperative to let go of hangups and experiment has been a driving force in my fashion sense.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I have a way, but I'm not sure how unified it is. I am naturally a bit cautious and conservative, but am also attracted to radical ideas and gestures. I am overly generous and very empathetic, but also have strong opinions and ways of doing things. I embody dichotomy and am always struggling with that.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I am a sucker for anything in a taupe/beige/tan/cream/putty color. I realize I am attracted to items that are this color even if nothing else about them makes sense.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I hate the trend of tiny patch pockets on shirts, and will never wear that. Its so disproportionate and useless.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Constantly. When I am shopping or even just getting dressed I will mentally refer to a small group of friends, including my sister, and imagine each ones opinions and if they would wear the items in question.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
No, and I don't really trust people who do that - throw themselves short term into different subcultures. My styles has meandered and evolved naturally based on location, circumstance, and feeling.
17. Please describe your mind.
Something I am proud of. A nice comfortable place to hang out. A never ending frontier that I always wish I had more time to explore.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Unreliable. Unrealistic. Crucial. I try hard to give them equal value as my thoughts.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Im wearing sweatpants, sweatshirt, slippers and glasses. My hair is brushed and clean but down. Im not wearing makeup. I think I look good, all things considered, but wouldnt leave the house.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Everyone, all the time. We can all relate, so it's a great equalizer.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Everyone has their taste, even those who are anti-fashion. Unless you wear a prison uniform, you are choosing your clothing, and that choice is based on your taste. I do think there are different refinements of taste, or style, which can come from environmental influences, inborn talent, and can even be inherited. I have a very specific taste that comes from what i love and have been surrounded by, but I don't actually think I have much natural talent for style.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes I have taste in music, in decor, in friends, in movies, and in all things aesthetic.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
yes, I think its always a power play on some level, but the instances are too many to recount.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
it's very intuitive and random. I may start with shoes, or shirt or, have an actual idea like - wear a dress and tights. Considerations are weather, emotion, plans for the day, who Ill be seeing, what Ill be eating.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
So hard to choose! Either 1700s Japan, or 1970s West Africa.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
So much gum showing! And, I look more and more like my female relatives, for better or for worse. But in general I am happy about my body language, and recognize a communication of how I felt at that time.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Last night I dreamt that I was at a party and there was no where to shit. I wandered around outside and found a pit toilet outhouse covered in shit. It was almost cartoon like - every surface was dripping in impasto shit. I was mostly concerned about keeping it off my puffy coat and other clothing. Of course it got all over everything, and I had to try to peel off my layers of shit covered clothing without getting it on the underlayers. In the end there was just a bit on my shirt, and I woke up debating if it was passable to return to the party in.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Clean, sleek, modern, sexy. I think the model for this might be Angelina Jolie - and I've tried recently to add her to my mental council of style influences to inject some of that.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I wear it occasionally but don't feel confident about it or like I have the means to buy nice perfume. It intrigues me, but its not my field.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I wear a little bit regularly, and more dramatic makeup in the evening sometimes when i want to have fun. I don't feel confident with it, and wish I had practiced more when I was younger.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Its always changing. Right now I am wearing a pair of hand wax printed jeans made by my clothing company Osei-Duro almost every day.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have a beautiful vintage printed rayon dress that is now too small that I can't get rid of. I doubt it will ever fit me comfortably again, but it really represents my idea of perfection in a dress. Color, cut, detail, it is like something from a movie and somehow hyper real to me.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I don't think I've ever bought an investment item, since I unconsciously consider that kind of pricing to be beyond my means. I guess my wedding ring counts? It was $375 from Blanca Monros Gomez and I wear it every day. I am happy with the choice every time I look at it.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Those Vivienne Westwood animal shoes...
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Impulsively, and usually at thrift stores. It's hard for me to justify expensive clothing, partially because I enjoy thrift shopping, but i am getting better as I get older. I look online but almost never buy. If I'm going to buy some necessary higher priced item I will bring a wealthier friend to talk me into it.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
Its probably a pretty exact reflection of where I position myself socially.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I recently filled a hand sewn Alaskan leather neck pouch that I've had since childhood with some specific crystals to address specific health/psychic concerns. I am wearing or carrying this in my purse now every day for protection and strength.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I remember insisting on not wearing a shirt until I was about 7 years old - this made me feel daring and powerful, and equal to my male friends.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
April 21st, 1980. Taurus/Aries cusp. I was born in Palmer, Alaska, and now live in Los Angeles.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I come from Irish-Americans who all work with land and space. Geographers, surveyors, civil engineers, steel benders, interior designers, realtors, and earth movers. People who deal in physical things.
What kind of work do you do?
I am a clothing designer and small business owner, and occasional freelance seamstress/costumer.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I am married with no children.
Molly Keogh divides her time between Accra, Ghana and Los Angeles, California. She works with clothing and costumes in both places.