Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Ironically, it's when I come home from work/university and can finally take off my makeup and bra, change into my minnie mouse Pajama bottoms, put on my fluffy bed socks, and laze around watching TV. No word of a lie haha. I wouldn't say I in anyway look attractive, if anyone saw me I'd turn them to stone because I most likely resemble Medusa.. but I feel comfortable and happy and too me that's kind of more important. Or I'm just lazy. Probably just that haha.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I like women who are creative with their style. You can literally create a poll of the amounts of girls who are wearing the same kind of outfit from Urban Outfitters, not to say that's wrong, but to me fashion if about expressing originality. I saw a woman the other week wearing a tophat and large lady gaga glasses in a supermarket and I just wanted to high five her, but she looked way too cool and probably couldn't see all that well with the tinted glasses on.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like it when women wear clothes with confidence, despite what others might say, or might give you odd looks on the street. It's one thing to make lookbooks, and take photos of outfits for the internet to admire, but actually going into the real world and wearing them boldly takes real confidence. I admire any female who can do that.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I wouldn't say there was a definitive moment, more of an unconscious change throughout the last year. I always used to wear baggy black clothing as a teenager, and the same leggings every single day. That was up until I left school and took a gap year, and I started wearing bold colours, makeup, and clothing that fit me rather than covered me up, and made me resemble a bin bag. There were many reasons for this I guess. Youtube videos was a big one of them, especially in terms of makeup and styling. I also started earning a wage for the first time, and spent too much money in charity shops and H&M. I had never really bought clothes for myself before then, at least not regularly. And I mean regularly haha. But I guess the biggest reason was body confidence. I wouldn't say I am completely happy with how I look, but I do know that covering up my body shape isn't going to make me feel any better. I didn't really plan on changing my fashion sense, and interest in it, it just happened through time, but I'm glad I did change.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Going to charity shops (thrift stores in America) every week, and spending half your wages. I alway feel guilty, but no regrets. Also, buying something just because you saw a celebrity wearing it. I should just mail all my money to Emma Watson. She's taking it all anyway.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
My rules for dressing is just to throw it on, and pair it with a scarf and a parka. Not that bad really, but I'm sure if I did share my expertise, no one would want to know haha.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I have never really had a life changing conversation about style, but I did use to watch a lot of Gok Wan's 'How to look good naked' back in the day, and I learnt a hell of a lot about how to dress. I didn't use to converse with him through the Tv though, that would be odd haha (nervous laughter)
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I approach life, work and non-existent relationships head on, with an all in attitude. Go hard or go home, and any other corny phrases I can think of. As for finances and chores, I just weep and refuse to acknowledge.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have a lot of scarves, so much I should star in an episode of hoarders. I get them mainly from charity shops, a long with necklaces and books. I am drowning in books, but I have no regrets. I like big books and I cannot lie... let's forget that just happened.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I am very bad at gift giving, I did buy my sister a T-shirt for her birthday last year, and she seemed pretty chuffed with it. She doesn't wear it anymore, and I thank the lord because it was a Justin Bieber t-shirt.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Crocs, and jelly sandals. For the love of all humanity, no. just no. Leave the jelly footwear in the 90's where it belongs. Also, skorts. But that's just because I never looked good in them.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mum tends to wear a lot of patterns, but to be honest she's never bothered much with style. I've seen the 80's photos, I have evidence. Sorry Mum, I still love you. If anything, I kind of rebelled against what she wears, and what she dressed me in as a kid. However, if I have to be honest, my mum probably dresses better than me these days haha. She has gained a natural flair with maturity, just like my Nan.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
20 the nook
16. Please describe your body.
Not Beyonce's. Unfortunately. Excuse me while I cry.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Chilled out most of the time, with a side order of sarcasm.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I wish I had a great answer, but I'm in my PJ's, and my hair currently resembles a bird nest.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I love fashion, and the freedom it brings. Women in other countries, and past centuries, have/had their lives dictated in many aspects; and how they dress is one of them. I think fashion and makeup is very important, in showing who you are to the world.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Buying some vagabond shoes, that look really pretty, but eat at the back of feet. But they are still so prettyyyyy.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I think I have a great taste in interior design, and art. If I say so myself. It may just be me haha.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I wear pencil skirts, and a belt around my waist. I also like to curl my hair, and make my eyes look bigger with makeup. I like to channel Mad Men, Zooey Deschanel and the 50s/60s.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
wear what you want, and worry about the laundry later.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
judgement, in all sense of the word.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Nope. That requires a rational mind. I lose all my thought processes when I pick up my debit card.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
making sure I won't be cold, and that all the colours go together in unison.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am welsh, and grew up the 90s/00's, so I have no idea. Going on that I should be wearing wellies and cop top every day.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I used to wear a lot of black and boring stuff, mainly because I had no confidence and I had yet to discover the wonders of fashion blogs and Rookie.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
October 1994, and I was born in North Wales, the UK. I currently live in Sheffield, England, the UK.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am white, working class and british.
What kind of work do you do?
I am a student/customer assistant
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
single and ready to eat pringles
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I have no control over my use of sarcasm. I am sorry if I come across as cynical, honestly. I do love fashion. Honestly.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Tired as it's now 4 in the morning, and I'm hungry for some pizza. And I have work in the morning.