Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Once I bought 3 inch black platform sneakers. It was my first ever REALLY daring purchase (for at least what I considered daring at the time), I was 16. The first place I wore them was to the photo studio I went to weekly. But this week, I felt so sexy and confident wearing those shoes that it felt like everyone in the street turned to look my way. I would honestly give anything to wear those shoes for the first time again.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women who feel comfortable in their own skin.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who are confident in their clothing.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I was in 8th grade I was really insecure about what clothes I wore, so I played it safe and only wore jeans and solid color teeshirts. Until my friend told me "everyone is so worried about what they look like that they don't care about your outfit." Which sounds mean looking back, but when I felt like nobody was looking I started to open up more.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
black is best.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
never wear red.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Routine for the small things (making breakfast, showering, getting into bed, cleaning, what time i go to the bathroom?), huge risk taking for the big ones (relationships, jobs).
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
i have like 6 identical black tank tops. because they are all VERY different.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
i gave my mom a macaroni necklace that she wore everyday for like two years.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
drop crotch pants, crocs, high heeled sneakers.
do you seriously have to ask why.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
we have the exact same shape and size (including shoes).
i steal her clothes all the time it drives her crazy. but what can i say? the woman has good taste
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
i take my brothers shirts for sleeping, my moms clothes for everything. and my dads socks
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
nope, i still wear my jeans from eighth grade
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
tall, thin, flat.
17. Please describe your mind.
i think its ok
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
im wearing my rings, which i havent taken off in 5 years, some blue underwear, a black tanktop, and a hairband. no makeup and hair straight down in a lil bob.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
i dont know yet
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my mom when i ask her for money
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
i always thought they were synonyms?
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
yeah if im nervous for something like the first day of school or a job interview or a date, knowing ive got a killer outfit planned helps calm the nerves.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
i have always known what i like in terms of style. in fact just a month ago, this girl turned to me and was like "ive known you for 6 years and ive only seen you wear the same 6 colors." yes am very good at discernment in all things including clothing because i feel very comfortable in my skin.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
picked it up
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
take my clothes off
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
being confident is knowing that whether you are wearing a hefty trashbag, or a prada gown, you are the baddest bitch in the room and everyone knows it.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
insecurity, tearing others down.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
im ok, sometimes i buy something and dont wear it for a whole year, but then wear it nonstop. i usually know what i like or can see myself wearing eventually
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
the outer eye is a peasant in the presence of beyonce
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
im considering what im doing that day, who i will see, how active i will be, what the weather is, how tired i am, or how sexy and confident i feel.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
it depends on the mood/weather/activity/people but usually i try to achieve comfort and confidence
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is fancy
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
black skinny jeans, black tank top (weather permitting) and black platform sneakers
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
something that is "me" is a denim jacket.
something that is "not me" is a pink pelplum shirt
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
i dont do professional
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
i work at a photography studio, there is no dress code at all
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
when i was in 6th grade i went to a private school with a uniform, it was about breaking the rules as much as possible, and standing out. on a daily basis that meant wearing really colorful knee socks and shoes, bright hair accessories, bracelets, etc. but on the one day a month you were allowed to come in to school wearing whatever you wanted, i wanted to make sure i made an impression on every single student.
i had a collection of neon skinny jeans. bright blue, yellow, green and HOT PINK. and i had a black shirt with a neon rainbow on it that perfectly matched each pair of jeans i had. i looked so fucking good.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
constraining. many people assume that if you have a uniform, people cannot judge your fashion taste, or your beauty or whatever. that is so not true. your socks, backpack, makeup, and shoes are all seen as status-items and indicators of style.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
jeans teeshirt and sneakers, comfortable
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
depends on the lighting
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
britney and justin at the 2001 vma's
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
lady gagas meat dress
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
be a bad bitch, always.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i wear it every day although i cant really smell it and neither can anyone else
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
put them on
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
not at all
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
im not expected to like anything
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
basic teeshirts, and tank tops, lots of jeans, all very dark neutral colors, with a few standout pieces.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
i love my rings
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
light blue flare jeans, i cant pull them off, but i love them
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
more expensive jeans lasted longer and stayed in better shape longer
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy more nice but interesting things
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
the jacuzzi bodysuit that millhouses mom owns from the simpsons
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my dad passed down his gold watch from his great grandfather
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
yes. lots of times
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
almost never, usually online or thrifted
80. How does money fit into all this?
clothes are so damn expensive
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
i wear my rings every day, and my great great grandfathers gold watch.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
january 1, 1997. born chicago, live nyc
What kind of work do you do?
im a photography assistant
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
im not known for having great style, its ok
How do you feel after filling out this survey?